Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kev Whitworth (Jacurutu) in a serious accident

+31
Lonterra
topcatbones
robertcains
tcatcarson
mechy69
zedhead
stretchie_
Bravepill6
Kev's_Jenny
Catapulted
SimonAKASimon
Robcat
terry lees
weasley
Eddie990
marantz100
supernaut
druidsam
funderKat
Krusty
MevsyD
Rosco
furball
greencat
ellie
0ldcat
Dirt Bike Dave
kwakkat
yamahamad
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Thecatlass
35 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Kev Whitworth (Jacurutu) in a serious accident - Page 3 Empty Kev Whitworth (Jacurutu) in a serious accident

Post  Thecatlass Sun Aug 22 2010, 17:50

First topic message reminder :

Hello all

I have received a message from Kev's wife (Jenny) today that Kev was involved in an accident whilst clambering across rocks in a scottish Loch. This happened earlier in the month and Kev has suffered a blood clot between his skull and brain (which has been successfully removed) and swelling to the brain. He is currently in a waking coma and is starting to respond to his surroundings but it will be a long time before his recovery can be fully assessed. Jenny will be sending regular updates which i'll post up. Infact, I'll post the email on this thread.

I know many have enjoyed some fantastic rideouts and chewed over the days events in the pub after with Kev and would like to wish him all the best.

I will contact Jenny and let her know that all our thoughts are with her and the family and i'd like to wish Kev all the very best in his recovery.

Gail xx
Thecatlass
Thecatlass
5Bronze
5Bronze

Female Status :

Number of posts : 42
Hobbies : Bikes of course! oh and training manager as a job
Humour : Wicked ;)
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Kev Whitworth (Jacurutu) in a serious accident - Page 3 Empty Re: Kev Whitworth (Jacurutu) in a serious accident

Post  Rosco Tue Sep 21 2010, 00:18

Great Pics Chris. I'll get them on the photo frame.
[p.s. I hope to be with you late afternoon / early evening on Thursday. I'll bring brandy for my nerves]

Haven't actually asked the hospital about leaving a photo frame there. Hope it will be ok.
Hopefully it will be seen more as a useful thing for Kev and his visitors rather than a health and safety (hasn't passed our electical checks) thing.

Can't make Wednesday I'm afraid I've got jobs round the house that need a real man. Unfortunately he wasn't available so between me and Euan hopefully we can fix it.

Hope the birthday bash goes well.

The photo frame will have a standard SD card in it. Feel free to add some more from your laptop if you are able.

Cheers
Ross

Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 6659
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Kev Whitworth (Jacurutu) in a serious accident - Page 3 Empty Re: Kev Whitworth (Jacurutu) in a serious accident

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Tue Sep 21 2010, 00:22

No Probs Ross, I'll drop in and see kev either wed or thursday.
Gutted about SNT, making a call tomorrow to see if i can get out of the work thingy. will txt you to let you know.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Kev Whitworth (Jacurutu) in a serious accident - Page 3 Empty Photos

Post  Kev's_Jenny Tue Sep 21 2010, 07:36

Hi guys - thanks for getting the photos together, it sounds like a really good idea. My plan is to be in Glasgow on Thursday, so I might see you round the royal bedside on Thursday evening.
Kev's_Jenny
Kev's_Jenny

Female Status :

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Sep 21 2010, 20:37

Just left the hospital. Had to ask permission about the photo frame. They said it would be fine for tonight and they might get it checked tomorrow.

Hopefully it hasn't been condemned or nicked before Thursday night.

Kev was very sleepy and only came to a couple of times.
I soon talked him back to sleep Neutral

I told him about Surf and Turf this weekend and how he was on the 1st one.
One of the first pictures to come on the photoframe was at Surf and Turf which was nice, arty ones of Kev's and then Jen and a bird (of prey).

I managed to corrupt my SD card and couldn't get it formatted fortunately I could connect to the mini USB and copy them on that way.

If you are visiting and have a CF, SD or USB stick you should hopefully be able to connect them in and then use the buttons to load them if visiting. Even better if you could also copy the existing files via the mini-USB connector to your card.
Put all the pictures in one folder (not in the root of the disk)

I had a wee read of the mousetraps and catflap book ( history of everyday inventions ) during Kev's sleepy moments. Interesting read.

Not sure if I'll manage on Thursday night but I'll pop in again soon and top up the pictures.
If any of Kevs friends and family want to get some pics to me somehow i'll load them on too.

Ross

Cheers
Ross

If you

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Oct 04 2010, 02:15

Popped in to see Kev earlier (Sunday afternoon)

He was looking well and has his goatee back. His hair is now longer than mine (wouldn't be hard) but boy was he sleepy.

Try as I might I couldn't wake him. Spoke to Jenny and hopefully there will big step forward in Kev's care very soon.

Ross

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05 2010, 07:36

great good to hear - give him my best - tell him i'm booking to see Runrig in december
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  funderKat Fri Oct 08 2010, 20:06

Yep, pleased to hear that too...fingers and all sorts still crossed down here.
funderKat
funderKat
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 85
Hobbies : self employed tea boy.
Humour : is definitely desirable.
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Kev Whitworth (Jacurutu) in a serious accident - Page 3 Empty latest update from Jenny

Post  Thecatlass Sun Oct 10 2010, 18:55

Hi all

Sorry it has been so long since the last update - life has been a bit chaotic and stressful, and communicating has only just made it to the top of the list of things to do. As you can see, I have set myself up with an email account that I can access online, so I'll be able to send updates while I'm not at home.

Anyway, to get to the important things - Kev is making slow but steady progress. His chest infection cleared up, and the trache was taken out on 7th September, which was a big step in the right direction. We then started to look at "what happens next". After lots of phone calls and a couple of very stressful weeks the end result is that Kev is now in the brain injury rehab unit in Murdostoun. I must say a big thankyou to all the friends who got me through the last few weeks, and to the staff at Western Isles health board, Ward 63 of Southern General Hospital, and at Murdostoun, who all went out of their way to make this move happen.

Kev's new residence is wonderful! The unit is in the grounds of Murdostoun Castle, and is surrounded by trees and fields, so it's a beautiful, peaceful setting. The approach to the castle is up a long, tree-lined drive which makes a lovely walk for me (from the bus stop a mile away), but isn't so popular with car-driving visitors due to the combination of potholes and speed bumps!

The unit itself, and the staff, are all as wonderful as the scenery. Kev has his own room (with an ensuite bathroom), which means that he can sleep without being disturbed (he was on a four-bedded bay at SGH, with lots of general hustle and bustle all the time). I sat with him a couple of evenings ago, and the only sounds were the owls calling in the woods, and the gentle whirr of Kev's feed pump - it was so peaceful that we both fell asleep.

However, Kev hasn't gone to this unit just for a quieter place to sleep - it's his new workplace, and he's got a job to do! Everything Kev does from 8am to 6pm Monday-Friday is timetabled, so it really is like having a job. He has a lot of bed rest in his schedule at the moment, but he also has physiotherapy, OT (occupational health) or SALT (speech and language therapy) sessions every day. The staff from the various disciplines all work closely together, so everybody knows what the priorities are, giving great consistency in day-to-day care as well as in the specific therapy sessions.

Kev is still spending a lot of time asleep, but when he is awake it is for 15-20 minutes at a time, and he is much more aware of what is going on. The main movement is still with his right hand - we have a variety of waves, and hand-holding is still popular. However, we also have a good thumb-up,some head and eye movement and a "mmm" sound, which altogether make it much easier for Kev to communicate - when asked a yes/no question he can respond in a variety of ways. In the last few days we have also seen a bit of movement in the fingers of his left hand, and some movement in his legs, which is all positive.

Kev is going to be in the unit for at least 16 weeks, probably longer - they will keep him there for as long as he continues to make progress, or until they feel that he can receive all the care he needs in Western Isles. The staff are delighted to have got their hands on Kev at such an early stage in his recovery, and are positive about the progress that they think he will make. If you want to contact Kev, his new address is: BIRC, Murdostoun Castle, Bonkle, Newmains, Wishaw, Lanarkshire ML2 9BY. Because of the heavy work schedule visiting hours are limited during the week (6-9pm), but at weekends are 1-4.30pm and 6-9pm. Kev is now at a stage where he can appreciate (and be awake for) visitors, so it's definitely worth making a trip to come and see my man (I may not be there, as I will need to come home from time to time, but the main attraction will be in residence). I have been told that it is easier to get to the unit than central Glasgow for all you Yorkshire folk (although not as easy for us islanders), so get your maps out and find Bonkle! We have a work in progress to get an internet-based calendar, but it might be best to drop me an email if you are thinking of visiting, so that we don't have hordes of visitors at one time (limited to 3 visitors at a time).

It is a great relief to know where Kev will be for the next few months, and has made it easier for me to plan my life. Although it was stressful getting everything sorted, I know that Kev is in the best possible place. We both have a job to do now - Kev has a full timetable, and I am making sure that I am fit and healthy so that I can support Kev.

To end on a really positive note, friends Steve and Ally came to visit last night with their baby Arthur (4 months and 1 day old). We had a really good time and were laughing at Arthur's antics - and Kev laughed too!

J

Thecatlass
Thecatlass
5Bronze
5Bronze

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sun Oct 10 2010, 20:40

A great move in the right direction.
Popped in to see Kev this afternoon and took the family & Jenny too.
Excellent setup at Murdostoun Castle.
It is only 5 miles away from me so if anyone wants to also pop in for a coffee you'll be more than welcome.
Ross
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Kev Whitworth (Jacurutu) in a serious accident - Page 3 Empty Update 9th nov

Post  Thecatlass Tue Nov 09 2010, 18:02

Dear all

Well, Kev has been in Murdostoun for 5 weeks now, and lots has been happening...

Physically, Kev's right arm is much more agile now, and where before the movement was quite ponderous, it's up to normal speed now. He has a squeeze control for his radio, so he can turn it on and off himself, and also has a buzzer that he uses (by moving his right thumb) as an alternative to hand-squeezing. His right leg has quite a lot of movement as well, and we are working on getting his left arm and leg going - he wriggled his left toes and his left thumb in physio on Friday, which was a good moment. His head position is improving, and he can move his head for yes and no. Facial movement is quite restricted, although he can wiggle his eyebrows (think how expressive Gromit is with just eyebrow movement) and he stuck his tongue out at the physio a few days ago (he was asked to do this!)

The psychologist at the unit is working on getting Kev orientated (knowing where he is and when it is). So far Kev knows how old he is, that the year is 2010 (we're currently working on knowing what month it is), that we live in Western Isles, and our address. This might not sound much, but they are all good signs, and we are working to fill in the gaps so that Kev knows where he is and what has happened.

Communication is coming on really well. Kev is good at responding to spoken commands and can now follow two-stage instructions (eg look at the picture of the ferry and then point at the chair in the room). Written instructions are more difficult, although Tim (his Occupational Therapist (OT)) got really excited one day when he held up a card saying "Close your eyes" and Kev read, understood and followed the command!

The buzzer is proving to be a really valuable tool (even if the noise is a bit piercing). At the moment we are able to use picture boards with six options and Kev can buzz 1 to 6 times for the option he wants. This means that he can say if he wants to go outside, go to bed, have the radio on etc and is easier than doing yes/no all the time. The boards are also used with pictures of everyday objects in his sessions, and Kev can answer questions like "What number is the bed?" and more complicated things like "What number is the thing that you sit on?"

The best news is that Kev has started to speak! We only get a few words every day, and it exhausts him, but it's a huge step forwards, and has got everyone smiling like Cheshire cats. For the record, his first word was "Hello", said to one of the nurses, and he can also say yes, no and alright. In a way it's totally wonderful to hear his voice, and in another way it's perfectly normal that if you ask Kev if he wants to go to bed he will say yes.

The main thing holding Kev back at the moment is a lack of stamina. He's asleep every evening when I visit him, and most of the time at weekends, when he can stay in bed all day if he wants to! He is working really hard during the week, and his sessions are being extended for as long as he can tolerate. The staff have all been trying to get morning sessions with him, as he has physio in the early afternoon and is knackered after that - however, things are improving and he can often do a late afternoon session after a short nap.

All the staff at the unit are really positive, and we all get excited about every new thing Kev does. Every time I visit somebody comes to tell me that he spoke to them, or that he gave a really strong hand-squeeze (usually to say he wants to go to bed!). Kev has another 11 weeks here (and probably longer), so I'm looking forward to seeing all the things that Kev will do in that time, and also hoping to spend some time with him when he's awake!

Love

J

Thecatlass
Thecatlass
5Bronze
5Bronze

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Tue Nov 09 2010, 19:11

Excellent. It sounds like Kev is making good progress and hopefully will be back to his usual self in the not so distant future. Haven't managed to get up to his new gaff yet but will drop by and wish him a Merry Christmas when I get home. In about a months time.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sun Nov 21 2010, 17:53

this really great news on his improvment & can you pass on my thanks & the thanks of all the gang on here to the staff & there wonderful work they are doing with kev
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21 2010, 20:48

That's great to hear great
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Kev Whitworth (Jacurutu) in a serious accident - Page 3 Empty Latest update from Chris, Kev's dad

Post  Thecatlass Wed Jan 19 2011, 19:03

Hello all. In case you dont know, I am Kevin's dad, Sue is his mum. Neil is our other son, his younger brother. I thought it was my turn to send everyone an email. This is going to everyone on my list, in small batches, so dont be surprised if some names are missing. Steve Lister is the most recent visitor I know about, (last weekend, 15 Jan), so I have included part of his email to me below as the latest news. Sue and I saw Kevin twice over Christmas and I agree with everything Steve says- he was really awake on the last Sunday we saw him (8 Jan). He is communicating well now, although only very short sentences, in a whisper, and spoke to his brother on the phone briefly. He has a phone, but cannot answer or make calls alone yet. We are trying to set something up with the nurses to help him use it, perhaps at regular times. Now he is communicating more I think visits really matter. Perhaps we can help Kevin best by visiting as often as we can. I feel guilty because I have only seen him 4 times- but its difficult from here- I work in Poland. Sue has been to the Murchison Centre twice more, and Neil has been too. We dont really know who else has been or how often, although I know Donald, Martin and Steve, Mike and Mark have been several times. I thought I should try to create a log of visits- to try to prevent unwanted clashes and gaps. I will put a timetable on the web later and send the details round with my next update.. BUT you dont have to fill it in or stick to it if you dont want to, its just an idea. Sue, I and Neil will certainly use it. We also have the names of several B&B and private hire cottages near Lanark if anyone wants. Email me if you do.
Thecatlass
Thecatlass
5Bronze
5Bronze

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Wed Jan 19 2011, 20:24

Bloody hell, only met him once or twice (I think Welshpool 06 and Lincoln 07), glad to see things are looking up though

stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Wed Jan 19 2011, 21:07

Hi Gail,

Happy New Year. Thanks for letting us know the latest on Kev.
I'm really pleased to hear his family are feeling he's making good progress. Let's hope 2011 is a good year for Kev.

I've been thinking I should make the effort to see him sometime. No plans yet, but it sounds like he could stand a short visit. Anyone else up for this?

Chris

Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Jan 19 2011, 21:25

I've popped in a couple of times since Christmas.

Last time I popped in Kev tried to speak but I just couldn't hear him. He does get stretched with all the physio and exercises for body and mind so more often than not he is dozing when I visit.

Once I bore him to tears of the stuff that has been happening on here he tends to doze off again (10mins or so)......maybe it's just me.
Good to hear he is still improving. The nurses were telling me how well he has been doing.

If anyone is thinking of visiting but doesn't want to go on their own I'm pretty local to Murdostoun (Bonkle) and will do my best to go with you if you want.

Alternatively if you stay too far away and want to speak to Kev I can phone you from the unit if you PM me your number and I'll put you on speakerphone for a couple of minutes. I'll obviously run the idea by Kev first.......incase he doesn't want to speak to you tongue but hopefully he'll like the idea. (Bear in mind that you might be doing 99% of the talking)

DBD and I will be popping in sometime soon.

Gail, Chris - I'll PM you shortly.

Ross
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Thecatlass Fri Jan 21 2011, 00:20

Chris, I really would like to visit Kev. It would need to be a weekend, as i'm sure it would have to be for you too, but please lets arrange something. He's in my thoughts alot and it would be lovely to actually show I care by visiting. I assume you still have my number?

Gail xx
Thecatlass
Thecatlass
5Bronze
5Bronze

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Thecatlass Fri Jan 21 2011, 00:36

I replied to Chris (Kevs dad) just to let him know we appreciate his and Jenny's updates:

Hello Chris and thankyou very much for the latest update.

You won't have a clue who I am, but I am a member of the Thundercat owners club and shared many a rideout (and beer after) with Kev on many of our run outs. I'm fairly local (Bingley) so Kev used to come over quite a lot and share the northern gang ride outs on a sunday, before his departure to the highlands.

I've been posting all the emails Jenny has sent to the club and have done the same with yours, as many people think alot of Kev and appreciate the updates you and Jenny are giving.

A few of the Scottish gang have already been to see Kev and give us updates as well which is brilliant. Me and a couple of other northern members are going to arrange a visit at some point in the not too distant future so he won't be short of visitors.

I'm sure Kev will be very amused to hear that i'm now a radio presenter on a biker radio station ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in my spare time and have mentioned him on numerous occasions. One of these days, maybe we can get him listening in so he can laugh his head off at my dulcit yorkshire tones! I dare him to put a request in too.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thankyou for keeping us informed and that your messages are very important to the group. He has and is a very well respected and liked biker in our little online community.

Kind regards

Gail

Thecatlass
Thecatlass
5Bronze
5Bronze

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Kev Whitworth (Jacurutu) in a serious accident - Page 3 Empty A massive thankyou to Ross

Post  Thecatlass Sat Jan 22 2011, 17:29

OMG..... what a fantastic suprise phone call I received this afternoon from Ross.

He was at Kev's bedside, although today..... he wasn't in it. He was sat in his chair as bright as a button. With the assistance of an Iphone on speaker, I had my first conversation with Kev and it was truly wonderful to hear his voice. The northern gang were very active back in the day and I was devastated when Jenny told me about the accident. Hearing him today, I could tell the old Kev was still there...... it just takes a little patience to let him voice what he wants to say. We talked about the bike and Amber and the DJ,ing. His memory is just fine as he recollected lots of past things.

I know Ross was amazed, as on previous visits, Kev has been very tired. He's obviously been working very hard on his communication. Talking to him today has been such a huge milestone and I can never thank Ross enough for thinking of me and making the call. You are a very thoughtful man Smile

Ross will be posting up about the day too as his visit lasted 2 hours in total, which is fantastic. Chris, I would like to go up and visit at some point in Feb so if you fancy going up together, give me a shout.

Gail xx
Thecatlass
Thecatlass
5Bronze
5Bronze

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sat Jan 22 2011, 21:40

It was great to see Kev today. He was sitting up in his chair which provides full support for him.

I briefly met his brother Neil and his girlfriend Charlotte before they headed off to book in to their digs.

Kev was keen to speak to Gail and in between my phone crashing it was great to be part of the call and see Kev on the phone.

Since I've never actually heard Kev speak till now it was great to hear his voice and he did well to get a word in with DJ Gail (only joking dear...You did brill). Kev really enjoyed it and I know Gail did too.

Just as Gail was signing off Kev got another visitor. Donnie from Glasgow who is a member of the Stornoway Kayaking club popped in for another visit and was thrilled to see Kev's improvement since his last visit a few weeks ago.

Donnie was part of the group of 6 kayakers when Kev had the accident back in August.

I switched on the photoframe and we took turns in describing the photos. Kev and Donnie told me the Kayakers, Kev and I told Donnie the bikers and Kev told us some of the ones he'd taken.

Before I left I asked him if he wanted a post up on the website.

Kev said " Tell everyone I'm thinking about them" Smile
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  furball Sun Jan 23 2011, 13:58

Great news, hope you have a speedy recovery from now on Kev. great

Must try and pop down one of these day's myself.............

Davie
furball
furball
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 833
Humour : OH!!! Yes Please

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 23 2011, 15:13

Great to hear he's continuing to improve
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sun Jan 23 2011, 16:09

ok permission granted to visit kev
right all i need wil be the date of the week end so i can book it off at work
if you can post up the address i can look for a travel lodge near by as i should be able
to get a discount if required
pete

Last edited by cards on Sun Jan 23 2011, 21:43; edited 1 time in total
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sun Jan 23 2011, 19:11

You looking for a stalker Pete putting your number up like that?

Postcode is ML2 9BY
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sun Jan 23 2011, 20:04

as long as its under 18 stone female i don,t care
oh human as well
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :