Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bike to bike intercom

4 posters

Go down

bike to bike intercom Empty bike to bike intercom

Post  alleycat Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:13

Had a little search but couldn't find anything, me and the old man are looking for a bike to bike intercom to buy just so we can talk when out for a blast (save the high speed mimes). Anyone use them and if so what do you use and any good?
alleycat
alleycat
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 300
Hobbies : Carpenter / mechanics, guitar, mma
Registration date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

bike to bike intercom Empty Re: bike to bike intercom

Post  SteveCat Mon Apr 22 2013, 21:05

I use them, mainly useless though.

My setup is an Autocom which sorts out my SatNav, pillion as well as bike to bike (Midland G7). Problem is with the radios, I'm using the legal PMR units - they set to 1/2 watt power. Great if you in line of sight / close by. Could end up being a bit pricey.
The higher rated radios (think 5w) requires a license an you are able to use an external antenna.
My requirement is for ride-out marshalling and require a few miles reception radius.

Other options could be helmet - to - helmet bluetooth comms, apparently they can work over a short distance effectively.

If you have bluetooth in your helmet, possibly look at the Midland radios.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Mon Apr 22 2013, 21:16

I Have just fitted an Autocom unit (super pro Auto) and have ordered a PMR radio...took ages to decide on what radio to get for bike to bike comms...ended up going for a TTI TXL 446 unit...decent price and gets good write ups.....it also takes AA batteries which is handy...
I had a cheapo lid which was outfitted with bluetooth...and it was pretty awful...but i've heard good things about the scala units and the sena units...might be the best option if it's just you 2 and you stay close together..
Hopefully will be testing out my B2B radio set up this weekend with Rosco..
I think BMW John was telling me he was selling an autocom at WM...but you would still need a radio etc...i went for the autocom as you can add a sat nav/phone/ipod to it as well as B2B and it mutes/prioritises etc for you..

Main reason for me getting B2B comms was so Stevecat,Rosco and me can all talk about Terry Lees on the bike during our Alps trip without him knowing... LMAO
Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Apr 22 2013, 22:40

Dirt Bike Dave wrote:
Main reason for me getting B2B comms was so Stevecat,Rosco and me can all talk about Terry Lees on the bike during our Alps trip without him knowing... LMAO

Not reading you, heard Terry Le...<static> and wind noise, please repeat, please repeat Over Very Happy

That the case, then I'd better make sure mine's working Wink

--- -------------------
A tip I was given regarding PMR's, test with two units, lay one flat (possibly on a plastic ruler). Idea is to get the radio to vibrate (simulate the bike), try and talk on it whilst it is being vibrated. The real cheapo's fail miserably. I have an Ucom (Lidl special) which is only good when stationary. The Midland G7 is far better, still no match for a licensed Kenwood though - the prices reflect the varying levels though.

- -----

Moved the topic to the GPS/ Comms thread
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Tue Apr 23 2013, 09:15

If it's just me and mate I cheat and use my mobile phone headset tuck the Mic up in the helmet and call them (I have unlimited mins ) not had a problem unless over 80 mph
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  alleycat Tue Apr 23 2013, 16:52

yeah I was looking at maybe one of the new scala units (g9 i think) just a bluetooth device which apparently has up to a mile of range?!?! either way we are never usually more then around 100 metres from each other so we don't need anything mental pinkelly
alleycat
alleycat
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 300
Hobbies : Carpenter / mechanics, guitar, mma
Registration date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down