Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PMR Bike-to-bike radios in Lidl... cheap!

3 posters

Go down

PMR Bike-to-bike radios in Lidl... cheap! Empty PMR Bike-to-bike radios in Lidl... cheap!

Post  Guest Wed Feb 17 2010, 21:38

Evenin' all,

just to let you all know that my local Lidl currently has bike-to-bike radio kits for a steal at £25 each:

- 1x eight-channel, 5km range (apparently) Radio
- bar-mounted push-to-talk button (as well as vox mode)
- ciggie socket charger
- wall charger
- NiMH rechargable AAA batteries
- helmet earpiece/microphone set

I picked up one each for me and the girlfriend, should be good when spring rolls round and I get her bike running again!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

PMR Bike-to-bike radios in Lidl... cheap! Empty Re: PMR Bike-to-bike radios in Lidl... cheap!

Post  Guest Wed Feb 17 2010, 21:42

bloody hell - thats the whole point of having a bike isn't it ...... so you can ignore the OH pmsl
Neil has just said it would be switched off until we got out of Lincolnshire to stop me whining about it being time to stop 'for a nice cup of tea' as is my wont every 40 or so miles Very Happy

Last edited by Ezzy's Mum! on Wed Feb 17 2010, 21:45; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

PMR Bike-to-bike radios in Lidl... cheap! Empty Re: PMR Bike-to-bike radios in Lidl... cheap!

Post  Guest Wed Feb 17 2010, 21:45

well she's still on L-plates (passed her Mod 1, just got Mod 2 left to do) so I'll be in the rare position of being able to nag her! clink

in all seriousness though, when we've been out for a spin before - either with her on her bike or as a pillion - not being able to communicate is a pain. a few guys I often ride with have also got them, so they'll come in handy for "can we stop, i need petrol!!"...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Wed Feb 17 2010, 22:09

Sounds a great deal if you want to talk to someone. Personally when i ride all i want to hear is the engine sing through the micron carbon Very Happy
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Wed Feb 17 2010, 22:36

I have a few choice hand signals which often give people the general idea of what I want to say Twisted Evil

Fi girl_witch
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Thu Feb 18 2010, 08:10

Wild-Kat-Wolf wrote:I have a few choice hand signals which often give people the general idea of what I want to say Twisted Evil

Fi girl_witch

pmsl i can imagine
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Feb 18 2010, 09:55

I have one of those from Lidl, I'm sure you'll find them fine for what you want to use them for.

It didn't work out for me, but then I was expecting the near impossible of being able to hook it up to my Autocom.

My advice would be to keep the radio on you, rather than putting in a tank bag or anywhere on the bike. If possible keep it vertical and as high as possible, this will help the signal. At higher speeds the vibration from the bike interferes with the radio and it can become inaudible, your body will insulate it from a lot of this.
I'd also recommend using the PTT (push-to-Talk) rather than rely on VOX (voice activation). Installing the wiring the switch can be a pain, but will be worth it. The VOX is quite sensitive and will most likely be triggered by wind noise from as 'slow' as 30 mph.
The PTT switch is intended to go on the left rubber grip, but I found this got in my way. I managed to get mine on the switchgear with the switch forward facing - found I could activate it without having to move my hand of the grip.

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 18 2010, 12:50

Steve,

thanks for the tips - I'd like an autocom in the future but a decent set-up like that is far out of my budget at the moment!

have already had a little play with the PTT button, and had no intention of using the VOX to be honest - in a past life I spent enough time playing online games with voice comms to know that push-to-talk is far better all the time Very Happy

C
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 18 2010, 20:10

Wild-Kat-Wolf wrote:I have a few choice hand signals which often give people the general idea of what I want to say Twisted Evil

Fi girl_witch

Especially where cyclists are concerned pmsl link
Anonymous

Back to top Go down