Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thundercat extremely hard to start from cold

2 posters

Go down

Thundercat extremely hard to start from cold Empty Thundercat extremely hard to start from cold

Post  cosmichologram Mon Jul 24 2023, 14:27

Hi all,

Recently picked up a thundercat (1999) with 15 k on it. It runs great when warm - but if I leave it for a day or two it takes about 5 minutes of cranking to get it started.

I have tried with the choke on, off, part throttle, full etc. Choke on full and no throttle gets it going in the end, then just barely, and you have to coax it with throttle and once its reved up a few times it settles down.

At first I thought it was pilot jets, so have the carbs off and cleaned them.

I have trimmed back the HT leads as I thought they may be arcing and not sending spark to the plugs. this made no difference.

I have noticed that the fuel pump doesn't sound when I turn the bike on, so have ordered a new one.

I am at a loss as what to do next. When the bike is warm it runs great.

I would like to test the coils next, but dont have a manual and cant find how to test them online anywhere.

Also, there is one more issue, there is a breather hose unattached under the tank - I assume it came off the tank breather hose so I've re attached it. Not sure if that has anything to do with my not starting issue.

cosmichologram
cosmichologram

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2023-07-03

Back to top Go down

Thundercat extremely hard to start from cold Empty Re: Thundercat extremely hard to start from cold

Post  bobh Wed Aug 02 2023, 22:37

Have you tried a refill of new top-grade (97+ octane) fuel?
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

0ldcat likes this post

Back to top Go down