Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member saying hi

5 posters

Go down

New member saying hi Empty New member saying hi

Post  Guest Sat Jun 27 2009, 22:08

Hi all,

I got my Thundercat (1998 orange and silver) last year and am enjoying it, though I'm currently having a nightmare putting it through MOT. I think the previous owner had a mechanic mate... grumpy

It's a great piece of kit, and I'm planning on using it for touring the continent. Nice to be able to do the dual role of modest street bike and tourer.

Anyway, I see there's a ride out community here, so it would be good to join in once I get the MOT repairs sorted.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

New member saying hi Empty Re: New member saying hi

Post  Guest Sat Jun 27 2009, 22:21

Hiya,

Welcome to the group - certainly no shortages of rideouts for you to join in with - here's hoping you get your MOT sorted soon Cool

Suzie haloangel
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sat Jun 27 2009, 22:24

Welcome, welcome .. . .

I second what Suzie has said.

Get the MOT sorted , look to the threads and get out there with us on the first trip you can make.

Cheers
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  tcatcarson Sat Jun 27 2009, 23:46

Hello and welcome :-)
tcatcarson
tcatcarson
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 216
Hobbies : Teacher, cyclist, runner, photographer, father.
Humour : Just desserts, quick thinking
Registration date : 2008-11-13

http://www.blipfoto.com/leecarson

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Mon Jun 29 2009, 17:27

Hello and welcome, hope you enjoy the site, whats the problems concerning the MOT????

pete
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 29 2009, 17:44

Thanks all.

mechy69 wrote:whats the problems concerning the MOT????
It failed on:
  • Both front shock seals leaking - must have missed that when I was buying it.
  • Both tyre valves being cracked - looks like they were replaced at home and could break easily.
  • Rear brake disc cracked, with lots of fine cracks radiating from the holes - could shatter.
  • Exhaust can (after-market Viper) hitting swing arm and link-pipe not fitting headers properly.
It's my first MOT since buying it, so caught me be surprise. Suspect one of the previous owners "knew a guy" who could MOT it, as there's no way that's all come about in 10 months. Evil or Very Mad I knew about the exhaust being a problem, but didn't think it was serious.

Turns out the headers are after-market and the outlet diameter is a lot smaller than the link pipe. They've tried cutting slots to allow for compression, a shim won't work, etc. Short of a custom adapter or re-engineering the link pipe, I've had to buy a new set of headers - eBayed and arrive in a couple of days.

So the last 10 days have gone from "should be a quick MOT - there's no problems" to £500+ in parts and labour. Not a happy camper.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Tue Jun 30 2009, 21:31

Welcome - and it looks like you're in my neck of the woods!

All those things look straight-forward to sort out, if a bit of a pain. BTW, the original can has a gasket in it which effectively "shims" it down to meet the header pipe diameter; probably not as much as you seem to suggest but worth knowing there is a possible shimming option.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 30 2009, 22:19

That I am (RG4). Smile

Thanks for the tip about the original can. I noticed the Viper can that came on the bike has one, too, but I suspect that's more for sealing than shimming. Anyway, the new headers arrived today so I'll drop them off at MTC tomorrow morning and, with any luck, it'll be all sorted in a day or two.

Then there's the walletectomy that follows such unexpected mechanical work... Rolling Eyes
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Wed Jul 01 2009, 07:54

I think the trem your looking for is "taken by the short and curlies",

personally i would have sleeved the pipe or put an original on it,have had to do this a couple of times for mot,,the rear disc is not bad and not an expensive item if you ebay it,But why is it cracked,has the pads seized and got the disc too hot,eg lack of servicing??,,Tyre valves cracked ,now theres a new one ihavent come across myself in nearly 30 years of mechanics,
i do hope you get this sorted and doesnt ruin your thoughts about the thundercat,this is all down to bodging,its a shame your not nearer to me as would have got it sorted for you

pete
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 01 2009, 10:51

Thanks for the thought, Pete. I'm not blaming this on the Thundercat - there's enough out there that are loved by their owners, and they seem to all be selling for higher than book price which indicates their popularity. As you say, this is down to bodging.

Took the new headers in today and while I was there they confirmed they're the exact same measurements as the ones currently on the bike. So Viper insist their link pipe is right, Motad insist their headers are right, and both are declaring that their parts are exact copies of Yamaha's measurements. ponder

Fortunately the lovely lady at the place I'm getting this done is going to chase Viper and Motad down and try to get this circus sorted out. So the drama continues...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Wed Jul 01 2009, 13:30

MTC are good like that and although the wallet may be surgically reduced, it won't be as bad as if you went to Yamaha!
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 01 2009, 13:35

Not much is as bad as paying dealer's hourly rates -- except perhaps getting a cowboy to do it badly. Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Thu Jul 02 2009, 00:58

Welcome to the forum. Had my Thundercat for over nine years and remain very happy with it
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down