Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member :D

+8
Snowcat
billyw
SteveCat
alyr1481
Radar
0ldcat
Rosco
Yammycat
12 posters

Go down

ThumbsUp New member :D

Post  Yammycat Tue Jan 15 2013, 22:23

Hey there everyone, another member for the thundercat club Smile

Just a few weeks ago I got my first T'cat. Shes got a few miles on the clock, 42 thousand of them, but seems in relatively good condition for the money.

I'l be searching through the site before I repost questions that may have been asked / answered already by other members, but if anyone can point out things to look out for with this kind of mileage, please do advise Smile

looking forward to eventually meeting a few Thundercat owners later on in the year perhaps if lifestyle and everything else allows.

cheers
Yammycat
Yammycat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 46
Hobbies : cage technician / tyre sales / grease monkey
Humour : odd, but funny (aparently)
Registration date : 2013-01-15

Back to top Go down

ThumbsUp Re: New member :D

Post  Rosco Tue Jan 15 2013, 22:39

Hi Yammycat

Welcome aboard. I'll let the petrol-head mechy's answer your question properly but I'll have a stab.
My understanding is that the engines are fairly bulletproof as long as you keep them going with oil and filter changes.
Some of the major servicing like checking the shims has often found nothing needing doing unless you hear/feel a problem they are probably ok. Cables oiling, a clean every now and then and you need to top it up with petrol too I've found.

Maybe see you on a Rideout soon.

Enjoy.
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Tue Jan 15 2013, 22:40

Hi there yammy, Welcome to the forum.

By all means have a good scout around the forum. But if there's something you need to ask about the bike and you can't find it or where to look . . . ask away . . . You'll not get lampooned on this forum for reposting age old or repeat questions. . . like the best tyres etc. as you might on other forums green smile

You get a link to where the answer is or an honest(ish) answer - tyres are subjective after all - Smile

So .. kick back have a good scank about . . . crack open a tinny and enjoy.

Hope you can join us out there on a ride sometime. . . check out the Something for the Weekend section.

Cheers
0c (Tel)
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Tue Jan 15 2013, 22:46

PS : Anyone got a new key board knocking about ??? My one keeps missing letters out of words I type Mad fuming

You'll also notice we're a bit looney tunes Yammy loony
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Yammycat Tue Jan 15 2013, 23:42

Hey Rosco & Oldcat - thanks for the welcome Smile Good to know there's loony's about, strength in numbers and all that pmsl

problem is, if i start asking stuff youl realize I've got more chat than Facebook Wink
on a more serious note,

There are a few things I need to know, and that's if there is a Thundercat in top condition with low mileage, so I can hear what it runs like, to feel what the clutch lever feels like in terms of pressure required, and of course, idle speed. - I can appreciate this is a long shot and a big ask for a first post / newbie to the club.

Don't get me wrong I cant find reason to fault mine, but would rather get it to as close to perfect running order I can.

Mines got a Micron can on it, so will sound and run different anyway, whereas I don't mind spending the money to get the bike "right", I need to know what "right" is (was) in the first place.

If I'm honest, I think the vicious rumors of second gear issue might be there, but haven't really had much chance to test it properly, and not in the "mood" to find out at the moment wether or not to rebuild a gearbox.

Cheers salute

Yammycat
Yammycat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Tue Jan 15 2013, 23:55

Welcome to the forum. The 2nd gear thing is pretty rare in truth. Great bike, enjoy and see you on a ride out hopefully
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Yammycat Wed Jan 16 2013, 00:18

Hey Radar, thanks, you know what its like, new toy and all associated fears and nightmares lol. It is a good bike and hoping to see many a Thundercat out there.

FAO Oldcat - yes, tyres are subjective for sure!! Each is only good for an individual, doesnt mean will be any good for the next person.

Do many of you (club organised) go to Boxhill on sundays still?
Just for the laugh factor, I was down there last year.... on my YBR 125 fully kitted with L plates..... and stalled it exiting Rykas..... am pleased to say Ive come a long way since...well.... I dont have the L plates anymore, have recouped some dignity with the t-cat too.
Yammycat
Yammycat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  alyr1481 Wed Jan 16 2013, 00:56

Hi Welcome to the forum.

When i first got my thundercat i thought i had a problem with the gearbox as it was very clunky, but after having a garage look at it and driving a fzr600r a '98 fazer (both almost identical to the thundercat) and an old r6 i have found that a clunky box is a generic yamaha thing.

I will be down middlesex way at the beginning of feb if you want a comparison with mine (35000 on the clock).
alyr1481
alyr1481
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 53
Hobbies : Uni Student/ IOM TT Lover and Hopefully One Day Racer
Humour : Plenty
Registration date : 2012-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Jan 16 2013, 09:35

Hi, welcome.

As a group, we do not go to Boxhill - as it is the closet bike meet to me, I do sometimes go there.
When there is less threat of the white stuff about, we can arrange to meet there if you like. My 'Cat isn't in the best of health so listening to it would probably give an idea of what one shouldn't sound like.

High mileage is not a problem as long as the bike has been maintained.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  billyw Wed Jan 16 2013, 10:00

Hi Yammycat and welcome.

Oh and nice to see you've joined the "green" club Ross.

Cheers

Billy
billyw
billyw
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1098
Hobbies : Teacher/ sports/ music
Humour : As often as possible
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Jan 16 2013, 10:41

Hi Yammy and welcome to the site. Like others have said these bikes are easy to maintain and pretty much bullet proof as long as you are kind to them with regular oil changes, greased movey bits. Front calipers can be a sticking point, (literally) and the rear suspension linkage should be regularly inspected and greased to avoid the kind of issues Rosco and I encountered last year.

Aside from that yeah the 2nd gear is more of an old wife's rail than the norm though it does happen though more often than not its just Yamahas patented clunky box. Making sure the clutch and drive chain are properly adjusted can alleviate this problem however.

If you have any questions don't worry about asking. As oldcat said you'll get pointed in the right direction but more often than lot we are all lonely and like to chat anyway.

Best of luck with the cat, you'll love her Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:21

Welcome aboard young man, great choice of bike!

Fairly bullet proof the 'cat, and parts are still readily available & not daft money.

Strangely there are one or two members that have more chat than Facebook, myself excluded of course! Hope you enjoy the site, silly questions are our speciality and it would be nice if you could join us on one our famous rideouts!

Ellie
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Wed Jan 16 2013, 13:13

welcome to the site!

The gear boxes can be a bit clunky, but make sure the chain is always adjusted correctly as this can have an effect on the gear box, i personally find the cats gear box quite smooth...maybe i am doing something wrong haha....

Dave
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Yammycat Wed Jan 16 2013, 23:50

Thanks for more welcomings and advicings on the cat.
I intend on servicing it in the non too distant future, but lack paddock stands etc at the moment, and still recovering from xmas / new year. so its all a bit, well, you know.

Generally speaking, Ive not gone for the best of cages (cars) the last few years and by that I mean bought some right pieces of tut, and didnt want to discover Ive done the same with a bike.

Thanks for the help so far, feel free to add whatever, as its always usefull to know, and Il be popping back in soon enough to see whats what
-my way of acknowledging the comments still being sent, cant always reply but can read them, so thanks again Smile
Yammycat
Yammycat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Fri Jan 18 2013, 16:19

Belated Hi and Welcome to the site.

Enjoy the cat and ride, not too much chance at the mo, safe.

Rich.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 18 2013, 17:25

Hi & welcome to the forum don't worry about the miles I've got 60,000 miles on mine & still runs like a dream Cool
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Sun Jan 20 2013, 20:25

Hey & welcome.

Paul.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down