Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice please

+3
BlueZed
Radar
Cheshirecat
7 posters

Go down

Advice please Empty Advice please

Post  Cheshirecat Thu Feb 27 2014, 21:20

I've been wanting to travel overseas on the bike but can't afford to go too far, I was thinking of going over to northern France next June sometime! I was think of going from home (nr Chester) to Dover (with an overnight stop), then from Calais to Caen then onto northern Normandy, I've worked it out to be around a 1200 mile round trip.... Is there a better route you lot can recommend? cheap places to stay, I know what to carry regarding French law etc.

Thanks in advance
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 498
Humour : Humour??
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Advice please Empty Re: Advice please

Post  Radar Fri Feb 28 2014, 01:04

I did a tour of Normandy in 2011 and had a fantastic time. I went from Portsmouth to Cherbourg

Days 1/2
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Days 3/4
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The place we stayed at also did camping I think. Hope you have a great time
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Fri Feb 28 2014, 23:11

Great write up Tony, I went to France last year in the car (Family Holiday) and visited most of the places you did, was a great experience and made me feel proud to be British! I want to go back on the bike this time and see France from a different perspective. How much did u pay for the channel crossings?
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Sat Mar 01 2014, 06:30

Just to add a few options for relatively cheap accommodation... Maybe look into staying at Youth Hostels? They usually offer great value for money and everywhere I've stayed so far bikers were very welcome and I prefer an actual bed to camping any day! Maybe that extends your range a bit and you can get a taste of an alp or two that way? Very Happy 
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 317
Hobbies : Space cadet
Humour : NEIN!
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Sat Mar 01 2014, 20:27

At the risk of starting an argument, I'd suggest that if you're going across from Dover you might find more interesting roads sooner by heading south-east towards the Ardennes (and further on into the Vosges, Black Forest etc.) rather than west. This also gives the option of visiting a few WW1 sites, if that interests you.

A lot of the roads in the flatter bits of northern France (which is quite a lot of it) are not very exciting - the main roads can be straight and boring, the back roads often seem to have villages every couple of Km.

Unfortunately, most of the best biking roads in France are in the less populated and hillier southern half - Limousin, Auvergne, Cevennes, Pyrenees etc., and of course the Alps, so it involves at least one overnight stop to get to them. Just look for the bits lined in green on a Michelin map.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sat Mar 01 2014, 21:39

what he said Or head to the border regions of Belgium/Germany (south & east) to The Eifel Region.

Be the forward recce party for the Nürburgring trip  green smile Thumb

Here's a Motorbike Tour through The Eifel in Autumn 2011

0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sun Mar 02 2014, 16:23

We're doing Assen different this year, heading from ours over toward Matlock for breakfast from there taking A & B roads all the way to folkstone, tunnel to Calais (£32 one way), then heading via Dunkirk and Ostend to Bruges for two nights then heading up to Groningen in Holland for two days. Travelling back on the coast road back to Rotterdam for an overnight ferry home. Hotels costing between 50 & 80€ per night though we have insisted that they are secure parking for the bikes. If you're a member of MAG or BMF there's discounts to be had on ferries etc and they also can recommend biker friendly accomodation and help book trips/organise routes. Well worth the membership.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Sun Mar 02 2014, 22:35

Snowcat wrote:We're doing Assen different this year, heading from ours over toward Matlock for breakfast from there taking A & B roads all the way to folkstone, tunnel to Calais (£32 one way), then heading via Dunkirk and Ostend to Bruges for two nights then heading up to Groningen in Holland for two days. Travelling back on the coast road back to Rotterdam for an overnight ferry home. Hotels costing between 50 & 80€ per night though we have insisted that they are secure parking for the bikes. If you're a member of MAG or BMF there's discounts to be had on ferries etc and they also can recommend biker friendly accomodation and help book trips/organise routes. Well worth the membership.

How much is Membership Steve?
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sun Mar 02 2014, 22:54

Cheshirecat wrote:How much is Membership Steve?

link[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

OR
Info on site  green smile [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] red faced girl  rofl

Sorry Kev, couldn't resist, hope link1 was of help  Toff
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Mon Mar 03 2014, 17:17

0ldcat wrote:
Cheshirecat wrote:How much is Membership Steve?

link[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

OR
Info on site  green smile [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] red faced girl  rofl

Sorry Kev, couldn't resist,  hope link1 was of help  Toff

I guess I asked for that Tel lol
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dogsbody Mon Mar 03 2014, 21:13

Portsmouth to Cherbourg is a good one. Normandy D Day beaches are worth a look. Been many times on the Harwich/Hook of Holland overnight ferry, and rate it very highly.
Dogsbody
Dogsbody
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 111
Hobbies : Guitar/Bikes
Humour : Swiss Toni
Registration date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Mon Mar 03 2014, 23:54

Dogsbody wrote:Portsmouth to Cherbourg is a good one. Normandy D Day beaches are worth a look. Been many times on the Harwich/Hook of Holland overnight ferry, and rate it very highly.

Looking for places to stay, would you be able to recommend any campsites, cheap hotels etc?
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Advice please Empty Normandy

Post  Dogsbody Tue Mar 04 2014, 18:22

Can't really add anything that hasn't already been mentioned, as our visit was a quick one on our way back from Switzerland.
I thought Cabourg was nice and warranted further investigation. Cheers
Dogsbody
Dogsbody
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 111
Hobbies : Guitar/Bikes
Humour : Swiss Toni
Registration date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down