Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi all just seen this cat and want some advice please

+6
MrNutt
bobh
weasley
ellie
ScoldedCat
johnelcoat
10 posters

Go down

Hi all just seen this cat and want some advice please Empty Hi all just seen this cat and want some advice please

Post  johnelcoat Sun Nov 04 2012, 22:09

Hi everyone,

I was just looking through the usual sites, spotted this and wondered what people thought.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

sorry if I did the link wrong.

On first viewing I thought it identical to the bike that Snowcat sold the other week, but with nearly 21000 miles on it. The only reason I know this is because I really wanted his :(

Anyway, thoughts on the bike, dealer or in general are much appreciated.

John.
johnelcoat
johnelcoat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 40
Hobbies : Mechanical Engineer
Humour : Slightly twisted with a hint of sarcasm
Registration date : 2012-10-27

Back to top Go down

Hi all just seen this cat and want some advice please Empty Re: Hi all just seen this cat and want some advice please

Post  ScoldedCat Sun Nov 04 2012, 22:15

Looks like a good bike for good money.

To put it into perspective, I paid £1800 for a very similar bike in March (private sale).

ScoldedCat
ScoldedCat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 195
Humour : This parrot is dead!
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Hi all just seen this cat and want some advice please Empty Re: Hi all just seen this cat and want some advice please

Post  johnelcoat Sun Nov 04 2012, 22:20

The only thing that I'm a bit wary of is the sold as seen part of the ad, with no mechanical assurances given etc..

Think I'll maybe pop over and take a look.

Cheers for the input though, that gives a bit of perspective.
johnelcoat
johnelcoat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sun Nov 04 2012, 22:24

Love you're avatar.....I'm always pointing out the 'octopus on the bar that wants a fight' but the OH just doesn't see it and thinks I'm loony
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sun Nov 04 2012, 22:56

That can will be LOUD (and illegal)! Also, regardless of what they say, they can not completely absolve themselves of a limited warranty.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Sun Nov 04 2012, 23:33

It certainly looks very clean and a good price for that year and mileage.

It's difficult to be sure from the photos, but if the downpipes are original it would be best to budget for a stainless set (and a legal can, as Weasley says). Also, with that can it may have been re-jetted - if it has, then putting a more restrictive can on would mean jetting back to standard, and it it hasn't then it may have been running lean which doesn't do a lot of good.

From the tax disc it looks as if it's been off the road through the summer, so I'd want to know why.

But definitely worth a closer look.

bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Sun Nov 04 2012, 23:43

I have a feeling that is actually steves (snowcat) bike, it looks identical and he traded it in this weekend, maybe check with him on here if its his bike?
If it is that'll be a cracker of a bike!
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  johnelcoat Mon Nov 05 2012, 00:04

I hope it is Steve's, as I wanted it anyway :-)

That'll give me piece of mind too. Think I'll ring them tomorrow and pop over.
johnelcoat
johnelcoat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Nov 05 2012, 07:17

I don't think it's Steve's but it looks in good condition.

£1500 is about right I would have thought as they're not fetching a huge amount.

I agree with the no warranty thing? But if you HPI it and thoroughly check it over its a lot of motoring for not a lot of money.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Nov 05 2012, 08:17

My word they got that on quick, yes it is my bike..... Now where do I start, the tax disc is brand new because I took my private plate off it and its been ridden (a lot) this year.

End can is fierce looking but it is road legal having gone through 2 MOT's without advisory and a bikesafe course, it has baffles in, it's not stamped road legal but futhermore not stamped otherwise. It has been re jetted and runs like a dream.

Still original headers on it but they are in good condition.

Ref the mileage it's actually done 12000 miles or there abouts , the figure they have quoted doesn't take into account the clock counts in KMs due to it being a bike made for the Dutch market. It's still a UK original bike and has an overlay for reading miles per hour.

Let me know how you get on when you go to see it.

She is a great bike and HPI clear from when I bought it. No worries with the engine, gearbox etc, runs really sweet and I'd be happy to see it stick around on here.

Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Mon Nov 05 2012, 09:03

Snowy wrote:My word they got that on quick, yes it is my bike.....
There you go then, keep it in the family Smile

Plus you'll be able to get an exact history from the pervious owner (well as far as he had it), on here.
wink thumb up
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Mon Nov 05 2012, 11:32

Well . . . ???

Did you phone up / go see ???

Do tell . . . . we're all ears [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Nov 05 2012, 12:01

MrNutt wrote:If it is that'll be a cracker of a bike!
Cheers Dave, made me feel all warm inside that did, you angling for a go on the blade?? Wink
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Nov 05 2012, 12:04

0ldcat wrote:Well . . . ???

Did you phone up / go see ???

Do tell . . . . we're all ears [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I hope he buys it and keeps it in the family I was gutted yesterday as I dropped her off, be good to be able to keep in touch with her and maybe see her on the of ride out.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  johnelcoat Mon Nov 05 2012, 12:31

Drumroll.......SOLD TO ME £1500! green smile

Didn't bother going down. I had a chat with Steve and the guy at Jordan's and I was more than happy.

Put a deposit down this morning. Cheers for the chat Steve, its good to know your not buying a lemon and you can rest assured that she is going to a good home.

I've got the night before xmas feeling now and a massive grin green smile

Thanks for the help everyone.

johnelcoat
johnelcoat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Mon Nov 05 2012, 12:42

Snowcat wrote:
MrNutt wrote:If it is that'll be a cracker of a bike!
Cheers Dave, made me feel all warm inside that did, you angling for a go on the blade?? Wink

maybe.........

glad to see the bike has stayed within the forum though, will be good to see it on some rideouts! great
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Mon Nov 05 2012, 13:07

Nice one John,

I'm sure you'll love her, a right propper welcome to the family green smile hope and look forward to seeing you both on a ride out sometime left thumb up

cheers
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Mon Nov 05 2012, 13:14

It's Blue, good man. Clap
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Mon Nov 05 2012, 13:22

For £1,500 you basically stole that! Great buy, nicely done.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Nov 05 2012, 13:38

johnelcoat wrote:Drumroll.......SOLD TO ME £1500! green smile

Didn't bother going down. I had a chat with Steve and the guy at Jordan's and I was more than happy.

Put a deposit down this morning. Cheers for the chat Steve, its good to know your not buying a lemon and you can rest assured that she is going to a good home.

I've got the night before xmas feeling now and a massive grin green smile

Thanks for the help everyone.

I didn't want to steal your thunder John as after our comversation I knew you'd bought it but felt the news was yours to broadcast.

Congrats on the purchase mate, I promise you won't be disappointed, she was good to me on some pretty challenging ride outs and a trip to Assen, she was sure footed and never missed a beat, even after laying her up for a month when the weather turned crap she still fired up first time.

A great first big bike to me and I'm sure she will be for you too.

Oh and unless they've had it away I left her matching blue stand puc under the seat as a little pressie for the next owner! Enjoy Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Mon Nov 05 2012, 14:32

on a note on the bike, it sound great tearing away from you with the pipe on it, at S&T this year really though it was a race bike, got a lovely growl to it deal
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Nov 05 2012, 15:27

I know and it's good I'll get to hear it again hopefully Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Nov 05 2012, 16:42

Well done and not a bad buy.

Ride safe & enjoy! left thumb up
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Goxethee Mon Nov 12 2012, 10:43

Aaaawww... I love a happy ending Very Happy
Goxethee
Goxethee
7Bronze
7Bronze

Female Status :

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-04-14

Back to top Go down