Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broken baby

+12
alyr1481
MrNutt
'Cat-Man-Do
Rampers
Snowcat
prime
YZFJohn
0ldcat
Rosco
SteveCat
Wooster
thunderstu600
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Broken baby Empty Broken baby

Post  thunderstu600 Wed Mar 20 2013, 23:23

Due to having massive work commitments in London then away for 2 weeks on secondment helping another store I haven't had the time to do my mod 1 n 2. Nor have I had the money since doing cbt and theory until I get my bonus at the end of this month . Booked it today for 3 weeks time. As long as I pay beforehand they'll keep my place open Very Happy

RE : Title of topic. Long story short version...........Asked my Ducati Final Edition M8 to take my girl for a run as she aint been anywhere for a long while,
He said he'll take her to our local big open car park so I could have a go after him. Hmm sounds odd doesn't it....
.....Anyway, he said it's more legal as he'd be riding on the roads on a legal bike and then the cops can't touch me on private land as I'd not be on the roads without a license.

All went really well until 5 minutes before we were about to leave. It had gotten chilly and bam she chewed me up and spat me off. Doing 10mph (honest) no seriously honest. Rear wheel flicked to the right and you can guess the rest.

Damage .1... me first...severely sprained right foot, bruised shoulder, and my chest felt as if I'd been hit by a truck. Oh yeah, my helmet if fooked.
Damage. 2. Pics below,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

As you can see I need new fairings, all r/h side, foot rest and mirror, nose cone, oh and a new exhaust. I should have gone with my gut feelings as i'd already thought something was going to go wrong, I didn't think this was going to happen.

Anyways I've been playing on paint, ya know, the old microsoft drawing n painting thing and playing with colour schemes. I really want to get away from red n white. (superstition and all that) Been looking at fairings from Hong Kong on Ebay and wondered what quality and fitment were like. I've read the threads though but just wanted your personal experiences after having them for a while.

My drawing on paint below

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I really like the green and white scheme but a bit too kawasaki wannabe for me and way too expensive to buy the parts and spray

On ebay tho is this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This would still work well with my white wheels.

Sorry it's a bit long and maybe a bit pic happy.

thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 445
Hobbies : xbox black ops 2, Cycling and Motorbikes, Fishing and any other faze I go through lol playing ice hockey now too
Humour : i'm as serious as everyone else :)
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Broken baby Empty Re: Broken baby

Post  Wooster Wed Mar 20 2013, 23:57

Bit of a kick in the stones that. Crying or Very sad

Excellent Paint skillz btw. green smile
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Mar 20 2013, 23:58

thunderstu600 wrote: Doing 10mph (honest) no seriously honest.

I found the slow ones seem to cause the most damage. Ouch none the less, hope you can plaster the bike up and show whos really the boss.
pse let me know if this changes your Bishop's Castle plans.

Nearly forgot Laughing Hope you recover soon without too much pain great
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu Mar 21 2013, 00:26

Aw crap.....really sorry to hear your news.

Looks like the bike didn't fair well and sounds like you faired worse.

Hope you mend well and can get the bike sorted without too much expense.

You've probably gathered this already but crash bungs are a very good investment. You'd have probably gotten away with a bust indicator and some scuffs. Sorry to be bolting the gate now that the horse has bolted / cat has fallen.

I've 'used' mine a couple of times now, once when trying to avoid a rabbit (wot a plonker) at about 50-60 mph and once when seeing how much grip I wouldn't have on a brand spanking new rear tyre at the end of the drive at about 5mph. Oh and once when........mmm I forgot that someone bought my silence. But it was slow speed too.

Although they are probably the most expensive I'll always go for R&G.

Strongly suggest every cat owner invests in them but make sure you use the correct bolts in the correct place and you don't over tighten them.
I don't think they detract from the bike and I'll always consider them as insurance that I never want to actually use.

As for the colour scheme....very much a personal choice.
10/10 for effort in MSpaint btw ...... you've certainly got patience.

Get well soon
Rosco

Last edited by Rosco on Thu Mar 21 2013, 00:38; edited 1 time in total
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Mar 21 2013, 00:35

Bad news indeedy . . . .

But here's the made up ones in your green scheme ebayG_Link
Oooh Oooh ! look at this one ebayG_Link That'd go nice with white wheels too.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Thu Mar 21 2013, 06:17

I have a spare titanium race can u can have for the price of delivery if it helps. Don't know the make but can post a pic if ur interested. It has a couple of little dents in it.

John
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  prime Thu Mar 21 2013, 07:55

shit one mate, gutted for you. i really need to get my crash bungs fitted, had em a week but not got allen key to remove engine bolt. them fairings look good, sure would do as a temporary measure even if they werent the best
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 376
Hobbies : mature student at salford uni, my little family, music (all types), riding and the great outdoors.
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Mar 21 2013, 08:06

prime wrote:shit one mate, gutted for you. i really need to get my crash bungs fitted, had em a week but not got allen key to remove engine bolt. them fairings look good, sure would do as a temporary measure even if they werent the best
I've got Allen keys if you wanna nip round mate.

Really sorry about the off, I hope your and the bike can get sorted and you're back out soon to tame the beast.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Rampers Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:42

Stu....... what can i say....... you can get Replacement parts from fleabay that doesn't cost the earth. i hope you mend well buddy and pass your mod asap so we can see you at BC5.

All the best buddy
Rampers
Rampers
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 243
Hobbies : In a dead end job, riding ,rugby and being family man
Humour : Last in the que
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Thu Mar 21 2013, 19:58

Thanks for all the kind words guys, really appreciate it.

Wooster/Rosco. I'm one of those guys that if I relaxed any more I'd fall over lol. Patience isn't the word for using mspaint. loony is hehe
I've read all the threads about R+G bungs and did plan on getting them but not until I got paid, too late now but these will be my very first investment on making my bike better.

Stevecat,
No way am I going to miss this, life in general screws every plan I make and this one like all the others isn't beating me. I'm used to sorting things out at short notice (11wks) so keep me on the list please m8, like MJ said,'I'll be there'

Tel,
Already have the green one in my fleabay wish list and that blue flame one looks trick.Didn't notice that one. I now got 3 choices to go for lol green n white Fiat scheme or blue n white flame or gsxr wannabe blue n white. I love all of them, maybe a poll is in the pipeline. watch this space
I'm thinking flame.

John,
That's really kind of you and an offer I cannot refuse, Thank you. couple of questions though,1. How do I get the monies to you,
2. what's the difference between race can and road can and 3. is this road legal. Sorry for the questions and I hope you don't mind I really appreciate your offer.

Prime
Learn from my mistake m8 and do not wait, get them on asap

Rampers,
Thanks for your suggestion but I've looked on Ebay and there's none matching what I've got but if I replace with a plain one it'll cost me more to spray it as I can't do it myself. Plus if I find any other parts broke or twisted i.e dials surround etc at least I'll have them with the kit.

Again, thanks for the kind words, the bike came off worse than me and besides it was nice to have a week off work, I might start calling her Christine. I don't think she likes being out in the cold.

Cheers
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Hobbies : xbox black ops 2, Cycling and Motorbikes, Fishing and any other faze I go through lol playing ice hockey now too

Back to top Go down

Post  prime Thu Mar 21 2013, 20:05

Well I must say mate you have scared me into putting them on. Popped around to snowcat steves before and he kindly put them on for me. Thanks to you for motivating me and steve for sticking em on.
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 376
Hobbies : mature student at salford uni, my little family, music (all types), riding and the great outdoors.
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Thu Mar 21 2013, 20:09

your welcome lol,
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Thu Mar 21 2013, 20:10

Race can isn't "road legal" but my Cat went through MOT with it on.
If u still want it I post it and u can buy a beer on a ride out.
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Mar 21 2013, 21:54

prime wrote:Well I must say mate you have scared me into putting them on. Popped around to snowcat steves before and he kindly put them on for me. Thanks to you for motivating me and steve for sticking em on.
No problem anything I can do to help you know where I am pal.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Thu Mar 21 2013, 22:03

That's fugging brill John, Don't really mind if it's legal or not m8 just needed to be aware so I could get my story straight with 5/0 (police) if ever they questioned it lol.

I'll definitely take you up on the offer, thank you, your a gentleman of the scholar m8. I'll bring plenty of beer tokens, after all I got 2 more pay days before to save up lol clink cheers

thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  'Cat-Man-Do Fri Mar 22 2013, 00:03

Ouch. I feel your pain mate wall
I only wish I could contribute something toward your bike's recovery but all I have spare at the minute are a brake reservoir cap, a rear brake lever and some odd bolts... Rolling Eyes

At least you now have a "project" to throw yourself into

All the best for your recovery and good luck for your test mate
'Cat-Man-Do
'Cat-Man-Do
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Fri Mar 22 2013, 00:12

I might have some spare indicators knocking around if you want those?
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  'Cat-Man-Do Fri Mar 22 2013, 00:25

Oh crap I forgot, I have a pair of mirrors you can have? Let me know

Nathan
'Cat-Man-Do
'Cat-Man-Do
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Fri Mar 22 2013, 06:34

Thanks for the offer Dave but i think the indicators are ok m8. it looks done in in the pics as its facing skywards but its only cause the fairings bummed.
Really nice gesture too Nathan thank you but I'm gonna get gsxr mirrors as apparently you can see more through them (dont know how much yet). These are half the cost of 'cat ones so I've already made a saving there.
Project? prefer not to lol but yeah it's gonna look sick when I've finished with her Very Happy
Thanks guys
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  alyr1481 Fri Mar 22 2013, 13:13

I have a spare micron exhaust with link pipe, it got a few scuffs on it put is perfectly working. £25 incl P+P. PM me if you want it.
alyr1481
alyr1481
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 53
Hobbies : Uni Student/ IOM TT Lover and Hopefully One Day Racer
Humour : Plenty
Registration date : 2012-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Fri Mar 22 2013, 19:50

Stu I have some original fairings that i took off mine, Nose cone, LHS fairing, RHS Fairing chunk missing, and various other bits I could sell to you cheap of course...

pm me if your interested mate
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 498
Humour : Humour??
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Fri Mar 22 2013, 23:54

Get well soon to you and the cat
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Tue Mar 26 2013, 21:32

Sorry to hear about this, mate. Hope you feel better soon. I got knocked off at about 20/25mph, 'cat stood up, carried around the roundabout and then fell over and skidded along the same side as yours. However, I had the R&G crash bungs on. As you've already read, they're a "lifesaver."

My damage consisted of brake lever, nose cone and exhaust came apart, but other than that, minimal damage, they do make a huge difference.

There are some LED Mirrors on eBay which I've been happy with. Much better vision than the standard ones.

I've recently bought some fairings from the same seller. They're very helpful, quick to reply and will even do custom paint jobs for the same price (£339 or whatever it is.)

They're being painted as we speak. They only did gold but I wanted to keep it fairly standard and have the yellow, so they're sorting that out for me.

I think fitment can be hit and miss. Some are perfect, others you have to persuade to go together. I'll let you know what mine are like.

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Wed Mar 27 2013, 00:04

Hey Mike, thanks for the feedback m8,
I've already looked at the £339 ones (same seller I think) and had made my choice but another set back has unfortunately arisen so can't afford that one.
A friendly member has spare fairings, NOSE cone and rear which is helping me and Frankensteene (not Christine any more) out so I'm gonna be sorted on that front.
The mirrors I was looking at won't fit the 'Cat so I'll definitely have a look at the LED ones, or if someone has advice on another pair that they're happy with(without LED maybe) I could look at that would be great too.

Let us know how you get on with your 'Cat's new suit, pics n all
cheers

thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Sat Mar 30 2013, 00:04

Went to my local training school to pay for Mods yesterday, All booked for 8-9-11-12th April can;t wait Very Happy

Get Frankensteene fixed up and go for a proper ride

thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next