Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity

+8
JDM
ellie
Thunderkitty
Panzerbuilder
weasley
mechy69
SteveCat
thunder242
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity Empty Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity

Post  thunder242 Wed Jun 23 2010, 13:39

Hi - I'm getting 176 miles per tank which seems a bit low.

What kind of mileage are people here getting till the reserve light comes on and - how many miles does your reserve run to?

In the red at the moment - carrying petrol for my own test - but would be interesting to hear.

Thanks,

T.

Last edited by thunder242 on Wed Jun 23 2010, 13:40; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
thunder242
thunder242
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity Empty Re: Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity

Post  SteveCat Wed Jun 23 2010, 13:56

180 to 200 before light coming on. Lower if I am doing a lot of highway riding. Think I got 50 on reserve, (not good on the nerves) - safer at 30 but probably best not to get that far

( I hope I converted it right : 300-320 kms before light on and then 50-80 kms on the nerves)
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity Empty Re: Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity

Post  mechy69 Wed Jun 23 2010, 18:23

Hi there, i commonly got 150 riding with gusto when light came on, about 180 if riding within confines , ie not trying to keep up with chris !!!!!!. The zx only gave 140 ish before dying and needing tap turning

pete
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Wed Jun 23 2010, 19:37

176 miles to the light seems about right. I get 280 - 300 km usually, although the recent high speed chase across Germany, Belgium and France saw that down to around 240.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  thunder242 Wed Jun 23 2010, 19:52

Thanks for that folks.

T.
thunder242
thunder242
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 23 2010, 21:08

mine was coming on around the 175 mark but either i've changed my riding habits or its since the carbs have been done i'm getting to 190 plus before it comes on
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Wed Jun 23 2010, 21:51

I either get more in than you lot do or I'm a little lighter on the throttle cause the light doesnt come on until around the 190 miles and i've had it up to about 220 before re-filling.

Mind you work is staright down the A63 at 80 ish... Rolling Eyes with little or no other rides out at the moment. :down:
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 23 2010, 22:06

When I had a Cat I used to average 180 miles before the light came on.

Least I ever did was on the way up to MCN to take part in a Thundercat feature (a few years back and the start of all this), I left very early in the morning, suffered from a bit of carb icing on the way, was running late so was pushing it a bit (120 ish at times) and I got 145 before the light came on. That was a shock.

Most I ever did was on a trip around Europe. I arrived in Genoa, Italy quite late in the evening having done 210 miles when the light came on. Couldn't find a petrol station, so camped up and found one the next morning. 240 miles on the clock before filling up. That was a panic I can tell you.

180 miles seems about right though.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 23 2010, 23:03

On average I get about 68mpg , I do at least 200+ before the red light goes on. Even when I've gone a bit barmy on the bike I've still managed 60mpg , it's such a great bike for economy. Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunderkitty Thu Jun 24 2010, 10:24

yeah, i get about 200 miles out of a tank. quite funny on rideouts when everyone has to refill and i look into my tank and grin Smile
i havent risked it yet though to see how far i get with the reservelight on. im too weak for that...
Very Happy
Thunderkitty
Thunderkitty
2Bronze
2Bronze

Female Status :

Number of posts : 15
Hobbies : Designer
Registration date : 2010-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Jun 24 2010, 12:32

Interestingly enough... scratch I only get about 170 before my light comes on, maybe coz its throttled?? (Only 52 days left btw...), But I always get more petrol in mine than Nick does in his on a top up.
Anyway, I personally dont give a stuff.....If I cared about consumption I wouldnt own a Motorbike Very Happy

Ellie nurse
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 24 2010, 13:27

ellie wrote:Anyway, I personally dont give a stuff.....If I cared about consumption I wouldnt own a Motorbike Very Happy

Ellie nurse

Well you don't give a stuff because you don't have to with the Cat , even if you thrashed the bike you would still get reasonable mileage to the tank . I wonder how bad the petrol consumption would have to be before people start to think ooo err better ease off the throttle ?!! Question
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  JDM Thu Jun 24 2010, 18:55

I must be a bit thick in comparison :rite: as i've never checked how much i get, i just top up and ride until light comes on then top up again and off we go!!
Think it's a bit like mentioned i couldn't care how many miles i get i just love ticking each one off, and in all honesty it would have to become extortunate before i thought about being careful on how i ride to conserve fuel, balls we'll leave that to the boring cage drivers!!

Hows it go? Oh yeah, 'Ride it like you stole it!!' fnarfnar
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 386
Hobbies : Fast Bikes & Faster Women
Humour : If you fall over for any reason i'm laughing!
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Jun 24 2010, 21:31

i couldn't care how many miles i get i just love ticking each one off, and in all honesty it would have to become extortunate before i thought about being careful on how i ride to conserve fuel, balls we'll leave that to the boring cage drivers!!

Hows it go? Oh yeah, 'Ride it like you stole it!!'

Hear Hear!!

of course that includes sticking to the speed limits and riding responsibly...

Ellie nurse
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Jun 24 2010, 23:23

JDM wrote:I must be a bit thick in comparison :rite: as i've never checked how much i get, i just top up and ride until light comes on then top up again and off we go!!

Not really a case of economy or saving fuel (always helps though tongue ), rather knowing how far you have before having to look for fuel coz the light is on. That way I can fill up at the cheaper places :o (Lord tight git)
Also can get an idea things aren't right if the consumption goes the wrong way for no apparent reason. If it gets better, then know its time for a service :(
My Odo is my fuel gauge, have one on he SatNav but totally ignore it (Orange light overides everything, could have been stretching the throttle spring without realising :o)
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 25 2010, 08:02

Thunderkitty wrote:yeah, i get about 200 miles out of a tank. quite funny on rideouts when everyone has to refill and i look into my tank and grin Smile
i havent risked it yet though to see how far i get with the reservelight on. im too weak for that...
Very Happy

it is very handy for that - landed up doing 109 miles tuesday night on an IAM run - 4 of us went over to Melton on the way i'm merrily tagging along behind the first 2 when i realised i couldn't see anything in my mirrors - turned out the guy behind me on a ninja had been on reserve since Rutland Water - we were now north of Bourne taking backroads to where we started from and he was worried he was going to run out given then distance we'd gone and still had to go. Plus he didn't have a clue where we were or where we were going (what i didn't know was that he'd gone last so he could observe 'how to do it' from us 3 Laughing ) So, it was a leisurely ride back for the 2 of us from that point - when i finally deposited him at algarkirk services he said to me 'well surely you need to fuel i've done about 100 miles' to which i replied 'actually according to my speedo as i fuelled up before we started you've done just over 109 and no - i have about another 80 odd before my light will come on. He was very impressed lol.

Most i've done on reserve is 23 miles before i came across a fuel station.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunderkitty Fri Jun 25 2010, 10:25

haha, thats funny Smile
Dan, my partner in crime, has a CBR and it feels like he has to refill a lot more than I do...
If I proper kick her up to 140 mph (upside of being in ze fatherland) then I dont get as much out of her but i think she is very pocket-money-friendly...
Thunderkitty
Thunderkitty
2Bronze
2Bronze

Female Status :

Number of posts : 15
Hobbies : Designer
Registration date : 2010-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 25 2010, 21:01

if i'm with Neil on his Thunderbird we have to stop every 100 miles for him to fuel up
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 25 2010, 22:45

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:if i'm with Neil on his Thunderbird we have to stop every 100 miles for him to fuel up
GOD , if I'm on my "Beast " then I only leave a trail of fuel vapour !! But hey I don't give a stuff when it comes to riding the Mad Max !!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 26 2010, 08:18

that's coz you is a bad ass - obviously you don't care you wouldn't be riding him if you did green smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Woody Wed Jun 30 2010, 01:30

SteveCat wrote:
JDM wrote:I must be a bit thick in comparison :rite: as i've never checked how much i get, i just top up and ride until light comes on then top up again and off we go!!

Not really a case of economy or saving fuel (always helps though tongue ), rather knowing how far you have before having to look for fuel coz the light is on. That way I can fill up at the cheaper places :o (Lord tight git)
Also can get an idea things aren't right if the consumption goes the wrong way for no apparent reason. If it gets better, then know its time for a service :(
My Odo is my fuel gauge, have one on he SatNav but totally ignore it (Orange light overides everything, could have been stretching the throttle spring without realising :o)

How come it gets better when it needs a service?
I've noticed mine is getting loads better... even though i'm riding faster! Maybe i'm riding smoother and not slowing for the bends so much, which means i dont accelerate so much out the other side.

Any ideas? :rite:
Woody
Woody
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 65
Hobbies : Trying not to fall off
Humour : Yes please
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Back to top Go down

Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity Empty finding fuel

Post  ballio Wed Jun 30 2010, 23:47

on the subject of fuel panics and choking down the road into petrol stations, for all you iphone and internet phone users enjoy this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and just navigate to your location.

does help and if you have choice it can tell you the cheapest place too. not bad.
ballio
ballio
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Thu Jul 01 2010, 20:46

Just got 200 miles before the yellow light illuminated. All done riding to from work between 70-80 normally with some higher bursts of speed.

Filled him up tonight but while filling pondered. scratch

Filled up right to top of locking rig. Left it and it, the fuel, went down. toppped it up to locking ring, left it and it went down. I did this 5 times, then stopped. I didnt see any over spill on the floor or anything seeping out of the bike but was wondering where the fuel went. Does the differences in filling give the range of milages that the peeps are posting. I try to cram as much as I can in so I visit the station less.

If you stop at the first pump drop out then this might be why you have a lower mileage?

Or am I just talking Sick
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  thunder242 Thu Jul 01 2010, 22:18

Maybe..... better filling - good idea.

Cheers
thunder242
thunder242
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 01 2010, 22:19

Broke my record tonight - the reserve light finally came on .......... at 203!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next