Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity

+8
JDM
ellie
Thunderkitty
Panzerbuilder
weasley
mechy69
SteveCat
thunder242
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity - Page 2 Empty Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity

Post  thunder242 Wed Jun 23 2010, 13:39

First topic message reminder :

Hi - I'm getting 176 miles per tank which seems a bit low.

What kind of mileage are people here getting till the reserve light comes on and - how many miles does your reserve run to?

In the red at the moment - carrying petrol for my own test - but would be interesting to hear.

Thanks,

T.

Last edited by thunder242 on Wed Jun 23 2010, 13:40; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
thunder242
thunder242
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity

Post  Guest Thu Jul 01 2010, 22:19

Broke my record tonight - the reserve light finally came on .......... at 203!!!

Back to top Go down

Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel consumption and Reserve Capacity

Post  SteveCat Fri Jul 02 2010, 10:15

Panzerbuilder wrote:Filled up right to top of locking rig.

There is an airgap which you are supposed keep. If I fill up at the start of a ride, I'll wiggle the air out and will get some more miles before filling up - managed to get 20 liters in once.
If I fill up after a ride and know the bike will be standing for a few days, then I'll keep the airgap.

The fuel needs some expansion space, if there isn't any, then it will force its way out
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Fri Jul 02 2010, 12:13

Used to get between 160 - 180- before the light came on.

The guys down here thought it was a diesel bike, mind you, they were all on SV650's
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Jul 02 2010, 14:20

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:Broke my record tonight - the reserve light finally came on .......... at 203!!!

Well done! Now if you rode slower you could get more naughty :gocat:

Have no idea how I managed this, but have done 240 miles (385 km's) before the light came on. I had only had the bike a short while and had done less than 4 000 miles on it, then I discovered there was a different world above 5 000 rpm!
Not likely to see that mileage again Shocked

I had intended taking a picture of the odo, but got carried away and took pics of the SatNav and the mounting bracket - did get the odo, but Doh didn't turn on the ignition to show no Orange light !!
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 02 2010, 16:22

SteveCat wrote:
Ezzy's Mum! wrote:Broke my record tonight - the reserve light finally came on .......... at 203!!!

Well done! Now if you rode slower you could get more naughty :gocat:

I DO ride slow as you well know Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 03 2010, 04:14

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:if i'm with Neil on his Thunderbird we have to stop every 100 miles for him to fuel up
Do you mean that you being on the same bike as him causes the fuel consumption to rocket ? Or have I miss read this ? Cool
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 03 2010, 07:42

hmm it was ambiguous so i'll give you that green smile - as obviously i'm never on the same bike as him but for the benefit of any doubt when neil is on the thunderbird he needs to stop around 100 miles to fuel up green smile not that he tends to be on it much any more as its fallen out of favour since the Tamil came along lol
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SimonAKASimon Sun Jul 04 2010, 21:57

From memory as I don't have my cat any more, but it used to be 169 almost to the mile every time.

I did have 1 tooth difference on the back sprocket though, which would no doubt have made a slight difference with higher revs all the time.

Ah the days ...
SimonAKASimon
2Bronze
2Bronze

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2