Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help the heroes ride at wootton basset

+9
Rosco
yamahamad
strag
SteveCat
0ldcat
G
wambo
ellie
kwakkat
13 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

help the heroes ride at  wootton basset - Page 4 Empty help the heroes ride at wootton basset

Post  kwakkat Wed Jan 20 2010, 06:39

First topic message reminder :

guys & gals just picked this thread up from the 2 wheels site
on the 14th march there is going to be a bike ride for help the heroes though wooden basset to the RAF station at lyneham with all funds going to the help the heroes it will cost £5 for the wristband which will allow entry to the RAF station the meeting place for the start of the ride is jun17 M4 eastbound at leigh delamere for anyone wanting to go i will be going its a sunday
pete

Last edited by cards on Thu Feb 11 2010, 17:41; edited 1 time in total
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

help the heroes ride at  wootton basset - Page 4 Empty Re: help the heroes ride at wootton basset

Post  Guest Mon Feb 15 2010, 18:59

what i hadn't realised was, when you read one of the discussion threads, apparently they knew from the outset they couldn't have more than 2000 for Lyneham so why didn't they just keep the registration open until 2000 had signed up? I really don't know how they are going to manage to take £5 from 10000 people on the day or how they will know if those ones had actually registered in the first place?? I'd have thought as people have registered and they're apparently going to use the list of those that have registered on the day - it would be easier to ask for them to pay the fiver in advance and send them out - how do they know if turned up before Pete that i wasn't him!! (Well, would be no point in me pretending to be him a) i'm nicer looking b) so is my bike Cool and c) he's likely to be in front of me in the queue!!) But when you read the Afghan Heroes site it says about them doing the first come first served 10000 bikes on the day using the list of those that have already registered but i just don't see how they can stop others turning up or have the time to consult their list!!!!!

Back to top Go down

help the heroes ride at  wootton basset - Page 4 Empty Re: help the heroes ride at wootton basset

Post  Guest Mon Feb 15 2010, 19:06

what you have to remember is that it isn't Afghan Heroes organising the run, it's three youngish mates on Facebook (although all the proceeds ARE going to Afghan Heroes). Hence the understandable lack of organisation when it's got so surprisingly popular.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it gets called off, to be honest. I'm local enough so I'll probably be out and about on my bike that day either way, I might pop along to the start location, and if I get to ride through Wootton Bassett then all the better. Otherwise I'll just go for a spin and enjoy a Sunday afternoon.

(also, we have to bear in mind that it's going to be the middle of March - and if it's peeing down with rain, I doubt 10,000 weekend warriors will be getting their bikes wet and mucky...)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Mon Feb 15 2010, 19:56

Afghan heroes did take over the organising of this event, the young girls in question are friends of one of the mothers who heads up the afghan heroes charity!
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Mon Feb 15 2010, 20:03

oi you
A your nicer than me only with the visor down
B your bikes nicer than mine only because ITS got my lyt stuck on it which by the way i will not be taking with me now or the colour match lrt
C im in front of you its SAFER that way & you only want me to get the 1st drink in ponder you clever bugger you wall
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 16 2010, 08:08

cards wrote:oi you

C im in front of you its SAFER that way & you only want me to get the 1st drink in ponder you clever bugger you wall
pete

ha ..... you nearly fell for it and at least with you in front i won't be blinded by the light (as the song goes) pmsl
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Feb 16 2010, 09:05

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:
and at least with you in front i won't be blinded by the light (as the song goes)

or deafened by the not so quiet zorst Shocked [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5110
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 16 2010, 15:13

for those looking at doing this run (especially those not registered Wink ) I've heard rumours of an announcement of start and finish locations - worth having a look tonight or tomorrow for something official.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Feb 16 2010, 15:53

The start, finish and route has been agreed. The details are not (supposed to be) in the public domain at the moment - problem is there is some speculation and the 'updates' have started to appear with incorrect information. I'm not going to fuel this with the info I have, but will post here when there is concrete information. There's still a lot of work to be done filling in the finer detail.

Regrettably the stress of all of this has gotten to the organisers and they have been disagreeing with each other. I hope that once the plans start to come together the huge burden will become a little easier.

For those staying at the Travelodge, are we all in the same one - Eastbound?
Anyone mapped out how to get there? My mapping software wants to take me past the services (Westbound) and to the next offramp and then back again.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Google Map with the satellite overlay shows there is an entrance not shown on the map view (mind you it shows the exit from the services is through a building!)
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Tue Feb 16 2010, 18:07

yes steve im stopping in the east bound travel lodge no even had a look at the tom tom yet
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 16 2010, 20:57

me and neil are there too and he apparently knows how to get into it so i'll follow him!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Feb 17 2010, 09:33

If you haven't seen the announcement it's here.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sat Feb 20 2010, 19:11

route sorted you should receive a email soon with all details go to there site if you want to see whats planned
Pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Feb 25 2010, 14:32

Just an idea for when you plan your ride there and home.

There are 3 petrol stations in the area, 1 near the starting point and two near the end. Even if a small percentage of people decide to refuel before the ride or to do so for the ride home, it will still mean congested stations which could run low or out of petrol. Best to ensure you can get a reasonable distance away from the ride before needing to fill up.

I'll most likely bite the bullet and use the services when getting to the Travelodge on Saturday as I'll be doing the route at least 3 times on the day.

Weather permitting I'll be going this Sunday to do a reccie and have a marshals meeting. If any worthwhile info or tips comes to light, I'll let you know.

Trying to find anyone will be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I might be a "little" easier to spot [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] - will have an orange Hi-Viz jacket with 'Unity Support Riders' on the back and number 28 on the shoulders. Come say hello if I'm spotted.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 25 2010, 18:35

Well i don't know bout anyone else but i'm still waiting to receive my 'official' email/instructions
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Thu Feb 25 2010, 20:11

Suzie so am i check on the site that I'm registered i am should get the info this week hopefully
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  wambo Fri Feb 26 2010, 06:03

Same here, not a dicky bird :(
wambo
wambo
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 107
Hobbies : Beer and Birds Oh smashing
Humour : a bit twisted, but always take the P out myself
Registration date : 2009-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sun Feb 28 2010, 18:33

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:Well i don't know bout anyone else but i'm still waiting to receive my 'official' email/instructions

I believe they ought to be going out this week. I have the draft copy for comment, it will be approved and given to the organisers at the meeting to be held on Tuesday.

I do not know if you are all aware that the ride will be staggered with the first leaving at 11 am and groups will set off at intervals which mean the last group will be leaving after 4pm. There will be a website where you will be able to enter your ETA, in an attempt to reduce the congestion on the roads into the main gate.

Might be an idea to syncronise a time for everyone who wishes to ride together, and meet prior to getting to the main gate - the approximate departure time will be given at the gate. (gates open at 8am and close at 4pm)

We didn't do our reccie today, so I can't pass on any info about the road conditions.

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 28 2010, 20:59

considering Hullavington to Wootton Bassett is all of about half an hour's ride, what are you guys planning to do afterwards?

I'm not regged on the main ride, but will be out and about on the bike all day if anyone fancies a bit of a ride on less congested roads Laughing

Chris
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sun Feb 28 2010, 21:40

riight i will be going down there sat afternoon if i can get off work early stopping at the travel lodge any body traveling down sat are welcome to join in those of us stopping at the travel lodge what time would you like to leave there before after break fast you will hear me lol so let make plans
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 28 2010, 22:25

we wouldn't keep up with you pete lol so you'll probably either pass us on the way or we'll see you when we get there. You going to that jolly huntsman doolally thing or not bothering on the sat night - don't think we were but then i haven't asked.
any idea what time you doing on the sunday morning? we wanted to go fairly early as we'll head home right after
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Mon Mar 01 2010, 17:11

same here i would like to go between 8 am - 9 am then we can travel back together how the with you lot
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Mar 01 2010, 18:14

Good idea trying to get in early - I would imagine most would want to do the same.

The ride will only start at 11am so there will be a bit of waiting around, but there will be some entertainment, stuff to eat, loos etc. Given that the entrance will no doubt be minor chaos, it will take some time to get in (ANPR, registration, payment of donation ..) and also you'll need to be ready to start the ride 15 mins before leaving - so time will pass quite quickly. Oh, don't walk/ride on the grass - you'll be told this in the email - as it is apparently mined!!

It should take about 45 mins, so if you're in the first group you'll be able to head off 12ish. I'll be thinking of you relaxing at home whilst I'm still 'herding' at 5pm [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] (some of the things I volunteer for).
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Mon Mar 01 2010, 19:13

Well thats me out I'm afraid guys, Ive been on the waiting list for a minor op which needs doing (no not that one Laughing ) before we move house & its been scheduled for the Thurs before the rideout Evil or Very Mad
All I can say is I wont be putting any protective gear near to the affected part for quite a few days Rolling Eyes
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Mar 01 2010, 19:46

Heaven's any excuse hey!! Laughing

Hope all goes well and swift recovery post op.

You may like to give your place to R2D2 or someone else who'd like to go, think need to email the organisers with Registration number of bike, sure they can handle a name change too.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Mon Mar 01 2010, 19:56

Can that be done Steve? No probs if I can help.
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 01 2010, 20:25

affraid

in all seriousness, I don't know if the organisers are allowing this or if Nick had anyone else in mind for his place, but I'll PM him the relevant info just in case. Would be great to get on the ride, especially with you lot Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next