Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New boots

4 posters

Go down

New boots Empty New boots

Post  weasley Thu Aug 13 2009, 12:46

Does anybody have recent experience of buying boots? I currently have an ageing pair of Alpinstar SM-X boots - they are like slippers and, as far as I remember, always have been. However, they're getting on a bit and I know newer kit has better protection.

I went into Hein Gericke last weekend and tried a few boots on. OMG - either my legs have swollen or boots have got narrower! I tried all sorts of manufacturers and styles and they pretty much all clamped me really tightly around the ankle and lower calf, even if the size of the foot part was right. I'm reluctant to buy £200's-worth of boots on the promise that they will get easier in time. I can easily see my feet going to sleep with tight boots on (something that never happens at the moment).

I tried HG own-brand, Alpinestar (SM-X Plus, SM-X 5), RST and Arlen Ness. I'm looking for "summer" type boots, not necessarily waterproof (although not bothered about this) and not necessarily overtly "racy" - I just want comfort! They don't stock Sidi or Frank Thomas, so couldn't try these.

Any comments?
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

New boots Empty Re: New boots

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Thu Aug 13 2009, 15:05

Helllloooooooo Very Happy

Right - those of you who know me, will know that I'm not the slightest of peeps and as such I have legs which don't fit into most motorcycle boots wall

However.... I have found that the Dainese Axial Regular boots are fantastic when it comes to getting room round your ankle/lower calf!! They have velcro adjustment on both sides and a back zip. The only down side is that they are NOT waterproof, however, as it was Summer boots you mentioned (and you said that waterproof wasn't a necessity).

They've been like slippers from the day I first bought them. I like them so much I've bought another pair for when I eventually wear these ones out.

And.... they weren't the most expensive in the world - first pair were £170 and the second I got in a sale at £120!! Woo Hoo!!! girl_witch

So they might be worth a look - they're available in a few different colours but nothing too sporty. :whoop:

Fi great
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Thu Aug 13 2009, 18:20

Hi Weasley,

I was suffering a similar problem as I have odd shaped feet and was struggling to find decent boots that fit.
I ended up going to http://www.altberg.co.uk/ as they're factory is near where I live. I can honestly say I've never had a pair of shoes, slippers, boots or otherwise that fit as well as these. There is a 6 week wait as they are made from your feet measurements, but they are an absolutely perfect fit! They do several calf height and circumferences as standard and can accommodate any alterations at all.
Another plus point is that all parts of the boot are mend-able should any part of the boot wear out (soles, waterproofing etc) around £50 gets a full refurbishment. I think Terry (FJR) has had his for 15 yrs+!
I would have never thought of custom made boots but I'm not sure I'll ever wear anything else now, thoroughly recommend having a look.

HTH

Chris
Eddie990
Eddie990

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sun Aug 30 2009, 20:04

Well that was easy! After a fruitless 30-40 minutes in Hein Gericke a few weeks ago, where NOBODY came to assist me or even seemed to care I was in their shop, within 30 seconds of sitting down at MPS Express, near Oxford, I had a very friendly and knowledgeable girl helping me. I tried on the Sidi Vertigo boots and bought them within 5 minutes - a great fit and nice boots. I then tried on helmets since my trusty and beloved AGV was getting on a bit and she showed me a few before I settled on a Shoei XR-1000. OMG, haven't things changed?! It's like riding without a lid on it's so light and comfortable with excellent visibility! Just need to sort myself out a dark visor now.

Big up to MPS Express - you should all go there! :whoop:
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes

Back to top Go down

New boots Empty New boots

Post  unclefot Thu Nov 26 2009, 20:33

My Sidi road boots, plain black waterproof, and the similar vented ones, are excellent. I've had the plain ones since Spring of 2002 and they are still in great condition, with the following note: The slender velcro strips beside the zipper got de-fuzzed over time. I clipped the threads, took off the old strips, and epoxied on new plain-backed velcro strips cut to fit. One must keep epoxy from bleeding over into the zipper track when doing this, a word to the wise!
The newer design has an inner ankle-bone hard plate that is also part of the velcro'd area. so there is more grip area. The vented boots came onto the market with this design, and it improves on the slender flap. The waterproof model is- I've stood in 2" of water and had completely dry feet.
For the short of leg or stature, the Frey-Daytone boots with the built-up insole are excellent. Add needed height and reach-to-ground. They are expensive but of high quality. Also as a Gore-tex model, hence wayerproof.
unclefot
unclefot
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-11-26

Back to top Go down