Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bishops Castle 2014 ride discussion

+14
0ldcat
SteveCat
prime
thunderstu600
henry the cat
YZFJohn
Robcat
Snowcat
OhJay
kwakkat
ellie
TT_mark
Cheshirecat
robertcains
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bishops Castle 2014 ride discussion  Empty Bishops Castle 2014 ride discussion

Post  robertcains Mon Jan 13 2014, 19:16

It's been brought to my attention on more than one occasion recently that motorcycle ride organisers of any description may be leaving themselves open to issues due to the law.
I am looking into this with some depth over the next few weeks to see if I need to make any alterations or decisions to the way BC is organised etc.
I can't really engage at this stage into what I may need to do until I've done some serious homework on the subject.
What I can say is that BC 2014 will definitely be taking place so please feel free to book your accommodation.

Due to previous BC rides gaining large numbers I'm having to have a rethink on how big I'm comfortable allowing the group to grow,
The social side on a Saturday was on its limit last year & the Three Tuns have asked me to consider the size of the group if we all wish to eat together too which is a very fair request in my opinion.

I'm hoping nobody takes offence but I'm going to ask forum members to please consider bringing no more than one friend along.

Contravertially I'm also seriously considering that all attendees supply me with some details of emergency contact numbers etc, we have been very fortunate of few incidents but as we know from BC4 that incidents can happen to the best of us, Although the rider that day was a personal friend of mine I still had to rely on him giving me the contact info of his wife at the scene, this is something that had played on my mind since that day & I realise I need to try to cover most situations I can think of, I'm sure I can rely on forum ride members support & will report back on this thread as & when (if) I need to make any amendments.

Above all else let's continue to make the rideouts fun & enjoy ourselves & I really enjoy getting such a fantastic group of friends together.

Nick
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Bishops Castle 2014 ride discussion  Empty Re: Bishops Castle 2014 ride discussion

Post  Cheshirecat Mon Jan 13 2014, 19:37

I personally keep my next of kin contact details in my inside pocket just incase my reg plate gets smashed to pieces! Fair point on the group size Nick! Lets hope the sun shines!
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 498
Humour : Humour??
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Bishops Castle 2014 ride discussion  Empty Re: Bishops Castle 2014 ride discussion

Post  TT_mark Mon Jan 13 2014, 20:25

Nick I fully understand everything youve said and think that from the other side of bc4 incident I think its a good idea that we have lists of contact details available. Im sure every rider will understand why. And also from TOL where there were riders that werent know by most. Can I mention the green dot scheme that alot of authorities are pushing. Its a green dot on the helmet visor and a card inside the helmet with ice details. Any help you may need you only have to ask.
TT_mark
TT_mark
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 219
Hobbies : Joiner
Humour : loves to ride and fly in helicopters...
Registration date : 2013-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Jan 13 2014, 20:32

The green dot scheme we had at TOL.

Good idea tho Mark Hedgehog.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Mon Jan 13 2014, 20:42

Thanks Mark, I have the green dot but placed one on the front & one on the rear of my lid..... Can you remember where your visor ended up? Hedgehog hunting! Lol
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  TT_mark Mon Jan 13 2014, 20:47

Good point there. I'm gonna buy a green polka dot helmet. But I can fully appreciate the need to know who's on the ride and who their riding with. Could be vitals minutes saved.
TT_mark
TT_mark
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Mon Jan 13 2014, 23:52

i carry my ice dog tags also i have the ice detail in my mobile & also detail in my wallet
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Mon Jan 13 2014, 23:56

i think it could be a good idea to have 2 lots of your detail
1 for the leader & 1 for the tail end charlie just in case any thing happens to 1 of them
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil

Back to top Go down

Post  OhJay Tue Jan 14 2014, 06:58

My green dot is on the side of my helmet just by where the visor attaches rather than visor itself. As Nick intimated your visor could end up detached from the rest of you.
Looked at dog tags as well but I've heard various rumours they won't use those USB memory stick ones you can get due to virus fears?

List of emergency contact details for the organisers is a good idea but what if my primary emergency contact is also on the ride out?  tongue  Would you insist on it being "someone not here"?
Did that on Cat's Cadwell track day, I was her emergency contact but I was right there, I'd have probably noticed she hadn't come round long before they'd have got round to ringing me even if I wasn't in earshot when she missed the hairpin  Crying or Very sad
OhJay
OhJay
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2013-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Tue Jan 14 2014, 07:31

Unless you and Cath wipe each other out, you're OK as each others ICE.

Same with me & Nick, that's why my ICE is my oldest daughter, in case we had an accident together.

But unless your married, NOK isn't the same as ICE, but that's a different discussion.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Tue Jan 14 2014, 09:17

I think the green dot scheme is a good one but not many people employ it, having your ICE contacts saved under ICE on your phone is a great ideabut as previously discussed most people have a pin.

Two suggestions here, save your ICE details as your wallpaper/screensaver or quick PM/text to Nick, simples !!
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Robcat Tue Jan 14 2014, 19:42

Well all my details is with Linz, 24/7.

Not really gone down the green dot lane but Ross did a similar scenario, with just asking for emergency contact No's from folk attending his ride outs. Always carry my wallet with me and the emergency services can get my details from what's inside.

Helmets can get damaged in accidents, so info can be hard to retrieve. Info in an inside pocket tends to be better protected. Or again, on a chain around ya neck.

But, just to make things easier, everyone just gives a point of call phone number, print out 2 copies of a master list, leader and tail end Charlie both have them on all ride outs.

I'm happy with that but, in the eyes of the law, all organised ride outs must carry event insurance of some sort. Plus also, if one member gets clocked speeding, they can prosecute a few more of the group as they say, we would of been all traveling around the same speed.

I would just deny knowledge of the group in the eyes of the law, to save hassle for other riders, if I was riding erratically.

Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 519
Hobbies : Xbox and crashing planes
Humour : Very Wet!!!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Thu Jan 16 2014, 16:47

On the subject of ICE Cards, I have been looking at these -
MEKey - as I am hoping to make France this year.

They do one that is a credit card with USB which is handy if you go abroad like France, as you can store a copy of your insurance/ medical documents etc on the USB as well.

They also do a Watch Strap that contains a USB, smart idea.
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Bishops Castle 2014 ride discussion  Empty SAT RIDE OUT

Post  henry the cat Wed Jan 22 2014, 11:29

As a new member i was hoping to ride down from north wales for the sat ride out will this be a problem thanks henry the cat
henry the cat
henry the cat

Male Status :

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Wed Jan 22 2014, 18:32

henry the cat wrote:As a new member i was hoping to ride down from north wales for the sat ride out will this be a problem thanks henry the cat

Why not come down on the friday? Great craic and beer on tap. It'll be a hell of a long and tiring day for you otherwise. Just giving you another option  Very Happy 
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 445
Hobbies : xbox black ops 2, Cycling and Motorbikes, Fishing and any other faze I go through lol playing ice hockey now too
Humour : i'm as serious as everyone else :)
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  prime Wed Jan 22 2014, 19:04

Yes henry, come on the fri if you can. Its a great way to get to know everyone and like stu says, itll be long day otherwise.
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 376
Hobbies : mature student at salford uni, my little family, music (all types), riding and the great outdoors.
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Jan 22 2014, 19:47

I did the the rideout in In one day a couple of years ago, saying that I stayed on the Friday, did the ride on Saturday and headed straight home after, as Stu said it was a bloody long day and I was knackered when I got home (back to Manchester).
I too would be tempted to at least break it up a bit with a stop over.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Wed Jan 22 2014, 19:52

Only 136 days to go. Soo can't wait lol.

If you've never been you won't understand the importance of getting there friday. What's worse? turning up Saturday tired from a long ride down and riding tired all day to go home tired or turning up friday chilling with a few buddies and beers and going home sunday refreshed in the knowledge of having the best rideout ever. ( I won't mention the bit about waking up in the morning with hangover) oops lol.

I'm still using mine daily for work even in this crappy weather. I get real crabby if I don't take her out. So on my days off I take her to Tintern or if I get 'lost' we go anywhere haha.
She's ACF50'd up and washed regularly so keeps it sparkling bit going to Tintern Abbey isn't fun when it's cold but thinking about BC makes it soo much easier.

So Cmon Henry. Come down Friday if possible. No pressure intended  Very Happy 
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 445
Hobbies : xbox black ops 2, Cycling and Motorbikes, Fishing and any other faze I go through lol playing ice hockey now too
Humour : i'm as serious as everyone else :)
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Jan 22 2014, 20:10

Whilst I'd also encourage a stay over, unless I have miscalculated, it's only about 50 miles to BC from Wrexham - what's that an hour each way. The chances are you will be bush whacked at the end of the day though, but depending on the route you could either join us en route or leave 'earlier' if it goes in your direction.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Robcat Wed Jan 22 2014, 20:34

You lot ain't hard core.

I've done the day ride down, then the ride out and ride back in a day.
So that's 127 miles there, 200 for the ride out then 127 quick miles home.

The last hour seems to drag though as you seem so close to home.

Henry, if you know its in you, do it in a day. Think I'll be doing it too, starting at 6:15 on the Saturday morning.

Nick knows some good roads in Wales and its been a lovely sunny day for the past few years.
Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 519
Hobbies : Xbox and crashing planes
Humour : Very Wet!!!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Wed Jan 22 2014, 20:36

henry the cat wrote:As a new member i was hoping to ride down from north wales for the sat ride out will this be a problem thanks henry the cat
Hello henry and welcome to the forum.

It'll be no problem riding down just for the ride on Saturday if that's all the time you have or how wish to do it. You will be most welcome and we will all be glad to have you join in whatever you can. Be sure to leave home in good time to make the start of the ride  left thumb up 

As others have said above though it will make it a long day for you, as long as you're aware of that.

We all appreciate that it can be a bit daunting joining a social group when you don't know anyone. Please be reassured we're all totally NUTS  loony and would welcome you with open arms to the group socials on the Friday & Saturday evenings events. If you can make time to come along to either (or both), of these you'll have a whale of a time . . . .
Trust me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] green smile 
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Thu Jan 23 2014, 11:59

Stay the weekend, everyone is so friendly it will be my 3rd BC this year and I wouldn't miss it for the world, great company, great roads and the beer aint bad!
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 498
Humour : Humour??
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  TT_mark Thu Jan 23 2014, 13:27

Definitely worth coming. Whether for days ride or for full weekend as its a great laugh. Fantastic ride with some great people.
TT_mark
TT_mark
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Jan 23 2014, 19:43

This is going to be fun as the three tuns struggles to fit more than 28 peeps in, and we have nearly 30 bikes down already.  Wonder if they'll  build an extension if we ask? lol.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  TT_mark Thu Jan 23 2014, 19:58

Could bring a marquee....
TT_mark
TT_mark
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next