Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st time track day newbie questions

+2
YZFJohn
Snowcat
6 posters

Go down

1st time track day newbie questions Empty 1st time track day newbie questions

Post  Snowcat Tue May 07 2013, 17:10

Just had the joining instructions for my upcoming track day which has got me a little excited and just wanted a little help/pointing in the right direction. I have to have my lights off and they suggest the simple method (switching off), unplugging the bulbs or taping them up. I can't switch them off and figured the easiest thing would be to pull the fuse or is there a particular reason that I shouldn't? I'd have thought that's safer than having loose wires flapping about and just pop the fuse back before I ride home.

Cheers

Steve
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

1st time track day newbie questions Empty Re: 1st time track day newbie questions

Post  YZFJohn Tue May 07 2013, 18:40

U could do but if u remove them the they won't get broke. The ends of the wires should be on bullet connectors with rubber sleeves so should not short out.

I will tape the electrical ends when I remove mine.

At the end of the day it boils down to how confident u are in removing them.
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

1st time track day newbie questions Empty Re: 1st time track day newbie questions

Post  Robcat Tue May 07 2013, 21:00

Tape them up. Only takes a minute and same goes for your rear brake/tail light. It's great not knowing who's braking where/why on track as that let's you focus on your own riding.
Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 518
Hobbies : Xbox and crashing planes
Humour : Very Wet!!!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Tue May 07 2013, 23:21

Yes, tape's easiest - but don't forget to take it off when you leave the track at the end of the day (or if you go out for fuel). If you tape your mirrors up as well it'll act as a reminder.

Otherwise just unplug the socket from the headlamp bulb, if it's easily accessible, and tie the wiring up so it's not flapping about.

Some people tape the speedo up as well, but, hey, a sneaky glance isn't going to hurt, is it?
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue May 07 2013, 23:49

As per Bob, just tape over your lights and mirrors to remind you.

Start out at comfortable speed and gets progressively faster, it's a track day not a race and the biggest thing is enjoy yourself dude you will be grinning like a loon I guarantee
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed May 08 2013, 08:25

Robcat wrote:Tape them up. Only takes a minute and same goes for your rear brake/tail light. It's great not knowing who's braking where/why on track as that let's you focus on your own riding.
So what would I use, insulation tape, gaffa tape?

I get what you're saying about the rear brake but its not really that kind of track day, it's a performance plus course and I think the instructors will want everyone knowing who's braking when.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Wed May 08 2013, 10:19

I just use gaffer tape

This is going back a few years

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Wed May 08 2013, 11:11

Gaffa tape's probably best - wider, easier to tear to length, leaves less mess when you take it off.

And you can use the rest of it to patch the bike up when you drop it Crying or Very sad
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Wed May 08 2013, 11:34

bobh wrote:And you can use the rest of it to patch the bike up when you drop it Crying or Very sad

You mean
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed May 08 2013, 13:10

Thanks or the info chaps, off to Halfords for black gaffa tape later
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  littlecat Wed May 08 2013, 22:39

steve i thought you were doing performance plus? they usually leave the lights and mirrors alone... in fact they make you use mirrors and indicators for overtaking...its not like a normal trackday
littlecat
littlecat
1Gold
1Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 535
Hobbies : artist
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed May 08 2013, 23:09

littlecat wrote:steve i thought you were doing performance plus? they usually leave the lights and mirrors alone... in fact they make you use mirrors and indicators for overtaking...its not like a normal trackday
They've said leave mirrors and indicators but want the front light off/taped up
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down