Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions about performance

5 posters

Go down

Questions about performance Empty Questions about performance

Post  reciprocity Wed Nov 23 2011, 11:24

Im worried that I am already considering a bigger bike and would really like you guys on here to talk me out of it. The bike is normally 'our's' (my wife and I). I have noticed that there is a considerable drop in performance when I take her pillion, especially around town. I understand that this is normal and expected when adding an extra 60 kg for the bike to carry. However, it doesnt make me happy about it.

Been thinking....I need to change the chain and sprockets soon. Does anyone know what I should change to if I want more power lower down? How will this affect the accuracy of the speedo? Can I fix it?

K&N? Any good? Advice?

A more free flowing exhaust? Been looking at one by Blue Flame. Advice?

Re-jetting? Needed after all this?

Power Commander? Do I really need one? Or can I just do the above?

Much appreciated guys (and girls).
reciprocity
reciprocity
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2011-07-15

Back to top Go down

Questions about performance Empty Re: Questions about performance

Post  SteveCat Wed Nov 23 2011, 12:13

You shouldn't notice a big drop in performance two up, suspect something isn't quite right. On some of our ride outs, its the pillioned Thundercats which can be seen ahead of others.

Changing the gearing won't affect your speedo, which is mechanically driven from the front wheel.
K&N is good, you might notice a slight improvement (unless your current filter is the cause of the problem).

I have K&N and Blue Flame, I think the bike is a tad quicker than the other 'Cat which has K&N and a Motard Can, but then I would expect it to be 'quicker' as its a lot newer.
Don't know about Power Commanders - think they are fuel injected mapping gizmo's
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  reciprocity Wed Nov 23 2011, 13:02

SteveCat wrote: Don't know about Power Commanders - think they are fuel injected mapping gizmo's

That they are sir. From what I have read about them, they are a bolt-on to the stock ECU and modify the fuel to air ratios to give a better curve and smoother throttle response. They are apparently amazing little doodahs. However, they do cost 250 quid and thats before getting a custom map done. They do however come with a map already pre-loaded if you tell them about the bits you have already added to your motorcycle.

It feels old steve. I dont want it to. Think im liking the air filter, exhaust and sprocket combo. Any idea on what I need to change sprocket wise?
reciprocity
reciprocity
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Wed Nov 23 2011, 13:57

Well since the Cat runs carbs, there's little that can be done by an ECU to affect the fuelling.

Gearing down will give you more acceleration at the expense of top speed, fuel economy and noise (sustained higher revs at cruising speed).

Best I think you can do is breathing (air filter), exhaust (headers and can), jetting and for the extreme a camshaft change.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Wed Nov 23 2011, 21:44

reciprocity wrote:Im worried that I am already considering a bigger bike and would really like you guys on here to talk me out of it. The bike is normally 'our's' (my wife and I). I have noticed that there is a considerable drop in performance when I take her pillion, especially around town. I understand that this is normal and expected when adding an extra 60 kg for the bike to carry. However, it doesnt make me happy about it.

Hmmmm, there are some obvious replys:

1. Leave the wife behind. By far the cheapest and quickest solution, although it may eventually 'cost' more.
2. If this is an 'excuse' to get a new bike or mod the 'cat please post up a new thread and we'll make all the right noises.
3. You obviously haven't seen Rosco and his beeatch ride (so to speak Embarassed). There's no drop in performance there!

I think you need to join a ride-out and see if there really is a problem.

Hope this is helpful. All tongue-in-cheek Very Happy

Chris
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Wed Nov 23 2011, 23:18

reciprocity wrote: I have noticed that there is a considerable drop in performance when I take her pillion, especially around town.

What do you want to do, dump her off the back? I should hope you do button it down a bit to give her a comfortable ride!

Btw, I don't quite understand the "especially round town" bit. You really should have all the acceletration you can use in the lower 3 gears, whatever the payload.

Daft thought - it's not been restricted at any time, has it? I had a 600 Diversion some time ago that had been restricted, and although I did think it felt a bit down on power (but it was a Divvy, after all) it wasn't until I took a mate on the back that I realised something was seriously amiss. That was on the M40 into a headwind, mnd.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  reciprocity Thu Nov 24 2011, 07:36

Lol. Maybe it's all in my head. Stop and start mainly I feel like I have to really give it a little more than I do when the wife isnt with me. Of course I take it alot easier when she is there, its almost as if the bike is doing the same though.

Ill give it a good service before winter sets in and I really think I might just do that (come out for a ride with you guys).
reciprocity
reciprocity
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down