Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice needed for a noob - riding position

+9
robertcains
ellie
Snowcat
Barnsley Bogtrotter
supraloopy
Rosco
YZFJohn
stretchie_
biscut
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Advice needed for a noob - riding position - Page 2 Empty Advice needed for a noob - riding position

Post  biscut Thu Sep 20 2012, 16:20

First topic message reminder :

hi all
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong area but I have just passed my mod 2 (a week ago) and have seen a really nice thundercat for sale at a decent price. What stops me jumping for it is that I am wondering whether it is a sensible choice for a first bike. I passed DAS so the 600cc doesnt scare me (much) but I am wondering if the riding position is sensible or whether I should have something more like a naked bike (kawasaki ER5 or suzuki es500 or equivalent). I will be going to hopefully view a thundercat or two in the near future but cant get to see or sit on one for the next few weeks so thought that posting here might be a really good idea. If it is a daft idea for me to get one as a first bike then please be honest, I have no issues with someone warning me off anything like this till I have more experience on a different type of bike.

Thank you very much for any help / advice you can give.
biscut
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 217
Hobbies : IT Geek
Humour : dark and perverted
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Advice needed for a noob - riding position - Page 2 Empty Re: Advice needed for a noob - riding position

Post  stevemcc Thu Sep 20 2012, 21:05

Also my first bike, at the ripe old age of 44 last November I hopped on to my Cat straight from doing my Mod2.
I learned on an old beat up ER5, it was a right shed but I didnt realise how much until I felt the smoothness of the Cat, you will be amazed at the difference.
I personally found the Cat easier to ride with a much more comfortable riding position, you really have the option to sit fairly upright for bimbling around town or hunch up and get into race mode.
I'm 6 foot and can ride it pretty much upright with my elbows just slightly bent.
I can honestly say the riding position for me was not a worry, I was more concerned about the power/speed jump, but to be honest its been no big deal, just took it easy and put in loads of miles and the rest all just fell into place.
After a couple of months you will be able to jump on to pretty much any bike and not have a worry.

Plus ER5 and es500 look pooh, you will regret buying one after a month. go for it!

stevemcc
2Silver
2Silver

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2011-11-16

Back to top Go down

Advice needed for a noob - riding position - Page 2 Empty Re: Advice needed for a noob - riding position

Post  biscut Thu Sep 20 2012, 21:23

>I learned on an old beat up ER5, it was a right shed but I didnt realise how much until I felt the smoothness of the Cat, you will be amazed at the difference.

Excellent, was really hoping someone would say something like that !

>I personally found the Cat easier to ride with a much more comfortable riding position, you really have the option to sit >fairly upright for bimbling around town or hunch up and get into race mode.

A close friend has voiced his concern about my buying a Cat as a first bike so its really nice to have some many people say that its not a daft choice...and I have done some really daft things in the past.

>I'm 6 foot and can ride it pretty much upright with my elbows just slightly bent.

Ok, well, if you are 6 foot and its not a problem then I cant see it being an issue for me, I am 5 foot 10.

>I was more concerned about the power/speed jump, but to be honest its been no big deal, just took it easy and put in loads of miles and the rest all just fell into place.

The power side doesnt concern me as much, just because the power is there, doesnt mean that I have to open the throttle all the way 5 mins after getting on the bike. I am pretty sensible like that and it took me a while to open the throttle on a honda 125 to get to 50 so anything bigger will take a while.

>After a couple of months you will be able to jump on to pretty much any bike and not have a worry.

Yeah, guess its just a case of getting to know a bike. am sure it wont be long before I look back wondering why I had issues about getting on a bike.

>Plus ER5 and es500 look pooh, you will regret buying one after a month. go for it!

It is something that was playing on my mind I have to admit. Looks over safety/functionality...think I am sold now
though...thank you.

biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Fri Sep 21 2012, 09:46

YZFJohn wrote:I should add that the Cat is very economical as you will see from the Fuelly in the footers of some members postings. Click on a Fuelly banner and it will take you to more info.

He's not wrong, my mates used to call mine the diesel bike

biscut wrote:Hi Barnsley
Wasnt advice on the bike that I wanted (really), was more how the riding position differs to other bikes that I mentioned previously

Ah, sorry, I missed your point. I don't know about an ER5, but I can compare to an ER6 and a GSXF both of which I have ridden recently and are in the same bike type bracket as those you mentioned.

The cat is more sport oriented than those but not full on head down arse up unless you WANT to sit like that.

I always found it very comfortable, you will get sore wrists but as with most bikes that will only be because you are putting all your weight through your arms and resting on the bars instead of taking weight through your torso. I can honestly say that the Cat was a very comfy bike.

I used to do about 1,500 a month on my bike with no achy bone syndrome. The seat is great and comfy and because it's got a good mid range you're not constantly shifting up and down the gears through towns which can be a ball ache and a strain on your left hand.

Do it, do it DOOO IITTTTTTTT
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Fri Sep 21 2012, 12:28

Stretchie...can i send you a quick PM, got a Q I need to ask
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Fri Sep 21 2012, 12:33

Of course, but I don't F on first dates, and no.. My dad doesn't own a brewery

; )
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri Sep 21 2012, 12:39

stretchie_ wrote:Of course, but I don't F on first dates, and no.. My dad doesn't own a brewery

; )

You've burst my bubble.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Fri Sep 21 2012, 12:45

Rosco wrote:
stretchie_ wrote:Of course, but I don't F on first dates, and no.. My dad doesn't own a brewery

; )

You've burst my bubble.

and mine, those were going to be my two questions LOL ;-)
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Fri Sep 21 2012, 13:14

stretchie is now banned from all ride outs & piss ups due to him beening a tight ass in more ways than 1 LMAO
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri Sep 21 2012, 13:16

Back to the topic, when I first got on the Cat after riding an XJ600 I thought it was very weird - the footpegs were high, legs bent, leant forward etc. You soon get used to it and now it is actually quite a relaxed ride. Last year I did 1,500 miles in a long weekend and aside from some general tiredness and fatigue, no specific aches from the bike.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Fri Sep 21 2012, 13:51

You're all meanies, oh and Rosco, I COULD make exceptions.... If duely 'persuaded' in an agreeable manner.
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Fri Sep 21 2012, 14:13

stretchie_ wrote:You're all meanies, oh and Rosco, I COULD make exceptions.... If duely 'persuaded' in an agreeable manner.

oh, so playing favourites already huh... :( LOL
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Fri Sep 21 2012, 14:16

weasley wrote:Back to the topic, when I first got on the Cat after riding an XJ600 I thought it was very weird - the footpegs were high, legs bent, leant forward etc. You soon get used to it and now it is actually quite a relaxed ride. Last year I did 1,500 miles in a long weekend and aside from some general tiredness and fatigue, no specific aches from the bike.

Thought I had replied to this one but think the posting has vanished somewhere...riding faster on dual carriageways etc I dont think I would have problems with, its the slow moving parts that being lent forward on is making me a little nervy about (cornering, turns, slow riding in traffic etc).
Am sure it will be fine once I have sat on one but thats my thoughts at the moment hence asking so many questions.

Thanks very much for the advice, I really appreciate it.
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 21 2012, 18:16

I would not worry the CAT was my first big boy ride, I passed my bike test on a 125cc because of my age and went to the CAT
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  biscut Fri Sep 21 2012, 18:26

THUNDER KING wrote:I would not worry the CAT was my first big boy ride, I passed my bike test on a 125cc because of my age and went to the CAT

yeah, am sure it will be, will arrange to do a test ride of one from a dealer close to home then see what options I have after that :-)

Thanks for all the advice, I really appeciate it.
biscut
biscut
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2