Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Riding God/riding numpty

+3
Panzerbuilder
SteveCat
weasley
7 posters

Go down

Riding God/riding numpty Empty Riding God/riding numpty

Post  weasley Tue Oct 26 2010, 22:31

Depends on your viewpoint....

So, this morning I had to take the Cat for its MoT - I haven't ridden it in.... ahem.... months and it was cold and wet outside, not my usual riding weather.

Anyway I togged up for the short journey into town, started it up, threw my leg over and off we went into the teeth of the storm. Around 400 yards after leaving my house is a downhill, residential road from which I have to make a fairly sharp right turn into a side road. It was raining, the road was wet and cold and the tyres were stone cold - there was no traffic around, I sensed the opportunity to back it in to the corner - I braked with the front and feathered the back brake - the back end locked up nicely and swung out to the left, leaving me a perfect entry line to the right hand turn, as I tipped in and rode through it. That certainly lifted my spirits.....

...OR...

I battled my way into my waterproof riding gear, went in and out of the house three times to pick up the things I had forgotten, like phone, wallet, bike key etc, started it up, slithered onto the wet saddle and pulled away into the grey drizzle. Around 400 yards after leaving my house is a downhill, residential road from which I have to make a fairly sharp right turn into a side road. It was raining, the road was wet and cold and the tyres were stone cold. I thought cleverly to myself "I could use this opportunity to test the back brake, seeing as I'm taking it for an MoT and all". I was on the front brake anyway so dabbed the rear and....WHOA FECK ME WHA' THE FECK??! My heavy right foot, combined with the low gear, locked the back up and away she went to the left. I released the rear brake but the engine had stalled and the compression of the engine kept the rear wheel locked for a second or two. Eventually the rear tyre bit and bumped the engine back to life, at which point I wobbled into the right hand turn and rode the rest of the way to the workshop leaving the rear well alone. That certainly got the heart going!

Moral? Either...
(a) take it easy out there, especially if you're a fair weather rider like me.

...or...

(b) there are two sides to every story. You choose.

Last edited by weasley on Wed Oct 27 2010, 17:18; edited 1 time in total
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Riding God/riding numpty Empty Re: Riding God/riding numpty

Post  SteveCat Tue Oct 26 2010, 22:44

Well done for not capsizing :(

Prefer your first account of events Very Happy but my reality sounds like the second.

Take it the MOT was plain sailing after that?
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Tue Oct 26 2010, 23:15

And what did you do about the nip marks in the seat? Rolling Eyes
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Oct 27 2010, 15:25

Oh boy.
Glad you saved it Paul and nice of you to share it too.

Reminds me of my recent brand new tyre incident.

Knew fine well to take it very easy on new tyres but forgot all about it and went into autopilot 30 mins after re-fitting the back wheel.

Got all of about 25m (end of drive) and then tipped it over and half a donut later I was picking myself and the bike up.
I proudly wore the 'what a plonker' when I got to surf & turf.

See if I can get away without getting a numpty point.
Thank goodness for crash bungs.

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Wed Oct 27 2010, 17:22

Well, the good news is that it sailed through the MoT and didn't need the rear wheel bearings I thought it did (just an over-tight, dry chain needed sorting).

I'm sure the slide looked a lot less dramatic than it felt. I should've known better. No
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Wed Oct 27 2010, 20:28

That was an amusing read. Glad you kept it upright salute
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  yello Sat Oct 30 2010, 19:48

weasley wrote:there are two sides to every story. You choose.

The level of detail in the second account leads me to believe it to be the more likely one Wink The forgetting of keys etc is a give away...

I'm no good in the wet either. And it's all in the head, I know it. Once I've got myself calmed down and used to the conditions then I'm a bit better... but not much!

My reactions are pretty slow fortunately. So on the occasions I've had incidents, rear lock ups or front wheel slips, it's all over and done and the bike has righted itself before I've even registered what's happened! I'm left with a feeling of 'woh, what happened there!!!' and a pounding heart rate!
yello
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Humour : decidely lacking
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sat Oct 30 2010, 23:08

I actually like riding in the wet - I remember a very enjoyable ride home from Welshpool 2003 in a biblical downpour, as well as a wet first session at the Thundercat Rockingham track day. I find it requires a certain level of concentration, awareness and finesse to feel 'right' rather than scary.

On this occasion though, I was just not switched on - it was a chore to have to get the MoT done so I wasn't really in 'riding' mode. I count myself lucky rather than skilful to have kept it upright.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  yello Sun Oct 31 2010, 06:46

weasley wrote:Welshpool 2003

I was there for that one! Wink

I find it requires a certain level of concentration, awareness and finesse to feel 'right' rather than scary.

Indeed. And confidence in your tyres, that's the one I find difficult. Everything else, I can keep mentally in check and feel right about. I keep telling myself the tyres will be fine (and they will be) but I just never feel that confident. I really ought do more wet weather riding just to work on that confidence!
yello
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Humour : decidely lacking
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  NFB_THUNDER Sun Oct 31 2010, 20:54

Great post to read,

I have ridden in all sorts of weather Storms, High Winds (one of which was over the severn bridge where me and two of my biking mates had to take control of all three lanes to enable either one of us to be blown from one lane to the other, and it happened!), I believe that confidence in the tyres you have fitted is a must! I like plenty of feel from my tyres so I know when they are about to give me trouble or not. Also a lot of forward planning when riding in conditions like this and a good throttle control. This has served me well.

Also the more you ride in these conditions the more convident you become with machine and the tyres you have fitted. If you are not happy with the feel from the tyres and you are expecting to ride in said conditions then change the tyres so you are happy they are giving you the feedback you want.

Sorry to go on and this is only my humble opinion. great

NFB_THUNDER
NFB_THUNDER
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 41
Hobbies : Calibration Technician/Bikes, Beer and Music
Humour : I think I have a sense of this.
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down