Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Cat but Kawasaki advice needed

2 posters

Go down

Not Cat but Kawasaki advice needed Empty Not Cat but Kawasaki advice needed

Post  weasley Fri Feb 18 2011, 14:15

I know there're some clued-up people in here, and even one that goes by the name "dirt bike...", so I thought'd I'd ask in here.

As some may remember, I bought a KDX 125 off of eBay a while back but having spent some time on it it is clear all is not what it seems.

It is a 1996-registered bike, meaning it must be an import as they weren't sold here then - I suspect it's a French import. Anyway, it is a pukka KDX 125 frame and engine and, it seems, swingarm/shock etc. However, the front end is, I am certain, not stock. It has USD forks with blue anodised uppers with "Kayaba" stickers. They have one screw in the top plug, which I assume is an air bleed, rather than damping adjustment. It holds a twin-pot caliper, rather than the standard single pot one.

I thought this might mean it's a KX front end, but the front wheel has a speedo drive, which a KX wouldn't have.

Firstly, I need to positively identify the various components so I know what I'm working with. In the first case, it failed the MoT today on "sticky" forks, loose head bearing and loose wheel bearings. The head bearing I assume I can tighten and I guess I can find wheel bearings by observation and measurement. However, how do I deal with fork stiction? The seals are good and the stanchions are spotless. They travel full stroke OK but the tester thinks they require too much effort.

I was wondering if there was some adjustment I can make to ease the forks? Air pressure? If so, how? I will check the fork alignment to make sure they're parallel (and straight).

And how do I positively identify exactly what I have? I have a Kawasaki workshop manual for the KDX 125SR, which covers most of it, but is useless for the front end.

This is the most immediate of my issues - it also seems to have some kind of hybrid wiring loom which attaches neatly to what I think is a set of KMX clocks, but they are smashed to bits and I have some KDX ones to replace them, but the wiring connectors are different. I'll chase the wiring and sort this out, but it all adds up to a Heinz 57 bike which I like, but find frustrating to work on!

To add to it all, the tax runs out this month so I need an MoT in less than 2 weeks.

On the plus side, last night as I was prepping it for the MoT the front brake light switch just stopped working. I took it off, cleaned it up and gave it a calibrating tap, but no such luck. Then my eye caught the Cat parked the other side of the garage and I wondered if I could jerry-rig the switch off of that to do the job. I took the switch off and would you believe it is exactly the same unit! 20 seconds later and the KDX brake light was working again!
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Not Cat but Kawasaki advice needed Empty Re: Not Cat but Kawasaki advice needed

Post  furball Fri Feb 18 2011, 17:35

I would take the stancions out and split them, my bet is the oil in them is well used and black, give them a good clean out with white spirit, and let them dry out then pop them back together with fresh oil and take it from there......

The head/wheel bearings will have a number stamped on them, that a local bearing place should be able to mach up with something, or a quick google of the number might throw something up.

as puting the number in EBAY might be worth a shot............

Davie
furball
furball
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 833
Humour : OH!!! Yes Please
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down