Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cant see frame number after powder coating!

4 posters

Go down

Cant see frame number after powder coating! Empty Cant see frame number after powder coating!

Post  Big sy Wed Feb 29 2012, 17:01

Hi all,
I hope someone can help me with this as im a bit worried!

My frame has been powder coated and there was no sign of the frame number, iv asked a few people about this and im told not being able to see it will fail the mot and could cause problems if ever stopped by the police, so iv rubbed the paint off but you can still bearly see it, its like its been stamped very finely and you can only just see it if you get the light right, will this cause me problems and what can i do?

Cheers,
Simon.

Big sy
Big sy
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2011-08-19

Back to top Go down

Cant see frame number after powder coating! Empty Re: Cant see frame number after powder coating!

Post  Guest Wed Feb 29 2012, 20:22

If u can't get a definitive answer from anyone matey (i dont know what it is) I have a mate who's a bike mot tester and another who's a bike cop I can ask
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Cant see frame number after powder coating! Empty Re: Cant see frame number after powder coating!

Post  Big sy Wed Feb 29 2012, 20:53

That'd be great if you could and it's not to much trouble, iv been searching all over the net and can't find an answer.

Cheers,
Simon.
Big sy
Big sy
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 29 2012, 21:37

no problem i'm working tomorrow so i'll ask one of the guys and let you know.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Big sy Wed Feb 29 2012, 21:57

Thank you, much appreciated.

Simon.
Big sy
Big sy
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  past-it Wed Feb 29 2012, 23:56

From the testers manual note number 6
6. Refusal to Test

The examination of a vehicle may be refused for any of the following reasons

the vehicle is not submitted for examination at the time and place appointed

the fee has not been paid

the vehicle cannot be driven or has insufficient fuel or oil to enable the test to be completed

the vehicle is presented in a dirty or dangerous condition such as to make it unreasonable for the examination to be carried out

the condition of the vehicle (in the opinion of the examiner) is such that a proper examination of the vehicle would involve a danger of injury to any person or damage to property

the vehicle does not display permanently, in an accessible position and readily legible, the required vehicle identification number by a method such as hammering or stamping, in such a way that it cannot be obliterated or deteriorate

the driver does not accompany the machine and operate controls when requested to do so
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Big sy Thu Mar 01 2012, 11:45

Just called an MOT tester and he said as long as there's a VIN plate with a number on it its fine...phew! That's put my mind at rest! Just a shame I didn't call him before sanding my freshly powder coated frame! wall

Simon.
Big sy
Big sy
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Mapman Thu Mar 01 2012, 12:57

Big sy wrote:Just called an MOT tester and he said as long as there's a VIN plate with a number on it its fine...phew! That's put my mind at rest! Just a shame I didn't call him before sanding my freshly powder coated frame! wall

Simon.
That's maybe not such a bad thing that you did that anyway. Just think about when you want to sell the bike in the future, if anything looks slightly dodgy to any potential buyer then they would just walk away from it or want your asking price revised downwards. If I was in your shoes I'd continue to clean that area right back using some magic potion (dunno what kind tho Rolling Eyes ) and then re-paint and laquer a neat rectangle around the VIN number so that it looks like it has been left that way intentionally when the powder coating was done.

Just my 2p's worth.
Mapman
Mapman
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 194
Hobbies : Cars/Bikes/Skiing/Golf/etc
Humour : Some
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Big sy Thu Mar 01 2012, 13:12

Thanks for your input,
I was thinking that but the problem being when they shot blasted the frame the numbers have almost been blasted away, apparently this can be quite common, I've cleaned the frame right back to bear metal and the numbers are so faint you can only just make them out in the right light, I'm going to clear coat over them so like you say when selling they'll be something there, I do have detailed photos of the rebuild from start to finish including pics of the frame pre and post powder coating including a close up shot of the frame numbers, so hopefully that will help if I ever do decided to sell her.

Simon.
Big sy
Big sy
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  furball Thu Mar 01 2012, 13:37

Here ya go this might help http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36pc-5mm-LETTER-NUMBER-PUNCH-Metal-Stamps-Lathe-/120864043894?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c240ef376

Davie
furball
furball
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 833
Humour : OH!!! Yes Please
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down