Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Number plate reflector.....

5 posters

Go down

suprise Number plate reflector.....

Post  seancat Mon Oct 17 2011, 09:24

OK, not really a problem....But more of a concern/observation.

Littledel bought his lovely blue cat over to my house last week. (Always nice to meet people face to face, nice bike BTW!)

I noticed that East Midlands Superbikes had placed a round reflector above the number plate on the cowel (The bit of the bodywork that overhangs the number plate) when he bought the bike to get it through the MOT.

Now, my cat has no reflector on the back......at all!!! Even on the number plate. And it flew through the MOT, without an advisory, even with an illegal number plate. (was on the bike when I got it)

Has anyone else heard of this?
I have a sneaky suspicion that this is in fact a legal requirement......But I may be wrong!!! Shocked

Thoughts or a firm answer would be good.......as I might need one! (Oh, and BTW, those round reflectors are £30 for two on eBay!!!!!!!!!! Shocked)
seancat
seancat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 152
Hobbies : Designer
Humour : Drier than a Nuns chuff!
Registration date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

suprise Re: Number plate reflector.....

Post  stretchie_ Mon Oct 17 2011, 09:41

I'm pretty sure they are a requirement.

But then again, it's down to the examiner what they pass (apart from the computerised bits that it).
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Oct 17 2011, 09:50

I changed my number plate which had a reflector on it for one of the newer types with the blue stripe and GB on it, I didn't think I needed the reflector any more.

Months later it goes for an MOT and comes back with a very small round reflector stuck on the plate. Mechy told me it was a bicycle reflector, you do need one but it doesn't seem to matter the size.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Mon Oct 17 2011, 11:22

they failed my bike because it was missing went to halfords & got a push bike reflector for £2 stuck it on & bingo passed so you do need 1 its a legal requirement to pass the mot but ive got a loud can & small number plate so depend on who you know but you do need to have 1
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Mon Oct 17 2011, 13:16

It does need a reflector and strictly speaking a bicycle one is not appropriate according to to Construction and Use regulations. I looked deeply into this when I was prepping my enduro bike for MoT. In the end I used a bicycle one anyway (since I had one handy) and it passed.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  seancat Mon Oct 17 2011, 14:25

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-STICK-NUMBER-PLATE-REFLECTORS-1-pair-NEW-/350323920833?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5190eecfc1

OK, found some different ones....a lot cheaper than the above!!!! (Think the price is wrong!!!)
seancat
seancat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 152
Hobbies : Designer
Humour : Drier than a Nuns chuff!
Registration date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17 2011, 20:31

Mine was given an MOT from the garage when I bought it and, yes, it had no reflector. When I put bike in the following year, I stuck on one I bought from the local moped shop for 60p. Tester told me it's a good job i did else he'd have failed her.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down