Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What engines fit in the t'cat frame?

+4
Snowcat
mechy69
HEHORE
grant26
8 posters

Go down

What engines fit in the t'cat frame? Empty What engines fit in the t'cat frame?

Post  grant26 Sat Feb 18 2012, 21:38

Hi, seen a cheap thundercat frame and got me thinking about building another cat. However, would like it to be a little different and have more options, therefore, does anyone know if any other engines will fit the frame without too much modification? Would like the performance of the thunderace but with the t'cat looks, any suggestions?
thanks
grant26
grant26
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 53
Hobbies : Student at Lancaster Uni
Registration date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

What engines fit in the t'cat frame? Empty Re: What engines fit in the t'cat frame?

Post  HEHORE Sat Feb 18 2012, 23:46

i was talking to some one the other day who said they put an r1 block in a cat if thats any help
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

What engines fit in the t'cat frame? Empty Re: What engines fit in the t'cat frame?

Post  mechy69 Sun Feb 19 2012, 07:28

Yzf750r is rumoured to be able to be engineered to fit
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sun Feb 19 2012, 11:52

I'd have thought either an R6 or R1 engine should slip in there relatively easily
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sun Feb 19 2012, 12:58

stevedj2000 wrote:I'd have thought either an R6 or R1 engine should slip in there relatively easily
ponder Different engine mounting points Question
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sun Feb 19 2012, 13:44

0ldcat wrote:
stevedj2000 wrote:I'd have thought either an R6 or R1 engine should slip in there relatively easily
I stand corrected sir Smile I thought being similar it would be straight forward but hey I'm just a newb!!
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Sun Feb 19 2012, 14:50

Not much help but the fazer engine fits Thumb
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sun Feb 19 2012, 15:58

stevedj2000 wrote:
0ldcat wrote:
I stand corrected sir Smile I thought being similar it would be straight forward but hey I'm just a newb!!
Ooops, Sorry mate Embarassed . . . that came out wrong, it was meant to read more like a rhetorical question/statement ~ as in "but I think they've got different engine mounting points . . ?"

Apologies if it came across as a put down . . . Purely unintentional steve Thumb

Cheers
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sun Feb 19 2012, 16:38

The R6/1 series engine were a totally new design, so I would not expect them to bolt up to the Cat frame. Fazer, FZR600 etc would be easier but then you don't gain the bigger punch you're after.

Maybe a bored Cat engine? Not sure how wide you can go - I can't find any over-bore kits on t'internet nor oversized pistons, so it would be a bitsa.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Sun Feb 19 2012, 17:12

Well to start with the fazer engine is cradled traditionally in a frame so mounts totally different to cat, the cat frame is based on the yzf750r frame and the engine mounts the same
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sun Feb 19 2012, 17:13

0ldcat wrote:Sorry mate Embarassed . . . that came out wrong, it was meant to read more like a rhetorical question/statement ~ as in "but I think they've got different engine mounting points . . ?"

Apologies if it came across as a put down . . . Purely unintentional steve Thumb

Cheers
Tel

No took it in the spirit it was intended Tel, no worries mate Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sun Feb 19 2012, 17:15

weasley wrote:Maybe a bored Cat engine? Not sure how wide you can go - I can't find any over-bore kits on t'internet nor oversized pistons, so it would be a bitsa.
As apposed to a completely entertained Cat engine ?? rofl
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sun Feb 19 2012, 17:20

mechanical_pete_69 wrote:Well to start with the fazer engine is cradled traditionally in a frame so mounts totally different to cat, the cat frame is based on the yzf750r frame and the engine mounts the same
All Hail . . . . . The Mechy has spoken
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

rofl pmsl rofl

Only josin ya pete Wink
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Sun Feb 19 2012, 18:33

not to worry he will not again!!
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Sun Feb 19 2012, 21:26

weasley wrote:Maybe a bored Cat engine? Not sure how wide you can go - I can't find any over-bore kits on t'internet nor oversized pistons, so it would be a bitsa.

I don't THINK there's a lot of room for that, not for a big jump in cc anyway. I think you'd need to look at increasing the stroke more than piston size.
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Fucnmuvn Fri Feb 24 2012, 12:45

Why not test the ThunderACE engine. The mounting points look relatively similar. Both have the engines haging from the frame as apposed to the Fazers cradle style. The front wheels on the ACE & CAT are exactly the same.....except maybe the bearing for the shaft may differ. Don't see why one can't make it fit. For more power suggest just fitting FUEL injection system and power commander. In theory the CAT is a detuned R6.....though i've kept up with and outrun quite a few 1000's on the winding roads!!!
Fucnmuvn
Fucnmuvn
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 10
Hobbies : RIDING HARD, RIDING ALL DAY LONG
Humour : open minded
Registration date : 2011-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri Feb 24 2012, 14:10

Fucnmuvn wrote:In theory the CAT is a detuned R6.....though i've kept up with and outrun quite a few 1000's on the winding roads!!!

Not the same engine at all. A Fazer is a 'detuned Cat engine' (although more different than just camshafts and carbs) but the Cat has pretty much nothing in common with the R6. I doubt getting fuel injection on it would release that much power - if you wanted to work with the engine you have you could look at camshafts, carbs, pistons, headers etc but not really worth it as there's not a lot of power tuning stuff out there for the Cat.

As I like to bang on about, the peak torque for the Cat is higher than for every R6 model that has followed it. green smile

weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Fri Feb 24 2012, 15:15

There is a 660cc build that basically involves a mixture of crankshaft, conrods and genny cover from the FZS and FZR?? I think you'll find it on the USA forum that there is a link to at the top of this page but failing that I think just spend alot of time and effort chasing a couple of extra horses by porting, polishing, port matching, can and air filter and then jetting and dyno'ing.

Alot of people would say that the above is a massive waste of time and money and I would agree if you were purely chasing more power, probably cheaper and easier to fit a turbo and be done BUT if this is the kind of stuff you are really interested in and you'd enjoy yourself at the same time as learning I would say it's time and money well spent as long as you use it all again
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down