Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone know this bike??? Bexhill on sea area

+4
robertcains
weasley
reciprocity
Dean-J
8 posters

Go down

Anyone know this bike??? Bexhill on sea area Empty Anyone know this bike??? Bexhill on sea area

Post  Dean-J Sat Feb 04 2012, 22:08

Going to look at this on monday, just wondered if anyone local to bexhill way happened to know anything about it? Would save me a 150mile trip if it has a hidden past or something ( not that i think it does like!)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Should imagine its pretty easy to pick out with the yellow wheels and iridium screen, so if you know anything about it, give me a shout!

Cheers,

dean
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 244
Humour : Filthy!
Registration date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Anyone know this bike??? Bexhill on sea area Empty Re: Anyone know this bike??? Bexhill on sea area

Post  reciprocity Sun Feb 05 2012, 06:18

I have seen that one around a few times. Doesnt seem to be in bad condition. Have never met the rider/owner though so wouldnt be able to tell you much else. Think its used for the odd daily commute unless Im completely wrong. I swear I have seen it go past while look out the window in the morning a few times.
reciprocity
reciprocity
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2011-07-15

Back to top Go down

Anyone know this bike??? Bexhill on sea area Empty Re: Anyone know this bike??? Bexhill on sea area

Post  weasley Sun Feb 05 2012, 08:31

It's been painted at some point (non-standard decals on the front and rear panels, non-standard wheel colour) so you need to know why this has been done.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Sun Feb 05 2012, 08:54

Yeah i spotted that. Asked the garage about it and they said it was just "tarted up" by the owner as he thought it was starting to look tired.

Apparently they have looked after the bike for a good few years for the owner, and has never been in a smash as far as they know. All HPI clear etc so more than likely been knocked over as opposed to crashed. But i will be checking her over thoroughly before handing over my hard earned!

Everything that is yellow will likely end up painted another colour by me anyhow (yet to be decided once i get photoshopping!) , So long as the bike is straight and up together im not worried about paint/decals, but totally get the point about looking into why its been painted!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Sun Feb 05 2012, 09:10

How much do they want for it & how many miles has she done? Any service history?
I'd be slightly concerned that you end up paying top dollar from a dealer if you then want to respray it Thumb
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Sun Feb 05 2012, 10:29

I dont think its badly priced, they had it up for £1795, but after a mornings haggling,Got them down to £1500.
Just had full service, 12 months MOT 12 months TAX, some history ( maintained by them for last few years) DataTag.
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sun Feb 05 2012, 11:02

What yr is it?? As most people know the thundercat is kind of a marmite bike, (love em or hate em) and as a result residual value has suffered over the yrs. My 02 cat decent nick, low mileage, recent full service taxed tested etc was up for £1850 and I knocked £300 off that.

At the time (3 months ago) there was an 03 going for £2995 and the owner would not negotiate an inch, advert said as much. I know it's still not sold and the price is down nearer £2k and open to offers.

Dealera will always try to get more sighting overheads etc and dealer back up but in all honestly with a bike of this age dealer back up doesnt count for much in my opinion.

Go on eBay and search thundercats under auctions ended, see which ones sold and more importantly the ones that didn't. This'll give you a true reflection of how much these bikes are worth in terms of actual value, not sentimental value which in my opinion means more personally but means jack when your trying to strike a deal. USe this info to try further negotiation, you may just get a bit more off if the dealers sees you've done your homework.

Good choice on bike though, you wont be disappointed Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sun Feb 05 2012, 11:14

Having just spent months looking for the right bike, second hand bikes are fetching loads at the moment, Its taken me (Nick too) ages to find a mint bike with low mileage.

ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Sun Feb 05 2012, 11:26

she's a 96. but aside from 02-on i dont see much of a difference in price down to age, and i couldnt care less if i get a 96 or an 03, condition is whats important to me.

iv been all over ebay, pistonheads, mcn, bike trader etc etc for the last 3weeks and everything decent is around or over the 1500 mark, or so horrendously far away id have to buy blind and have it delivered... something im not really comfortable doing!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sun Feb 05 2012, 14:35

96 if i remember right was sliver blue & red black & white
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sun Feb 05 2012, 14:56

When was the Silver/Yellow - it was early on? It's got an early exhaust (silver, no hanger strap).

If it's clean and straight then worth a punt, but if it's a '96 then that's very strong money - that's as old as they come.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sun Feb 05 2012, 15:16

BillyW has a bike in this colour scheme, FYI.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Sun Feb 05 2012, 15:58

Surely its better to pay 1500 for a perfect ( hypthetically speaking! ) 96 bike, than 1500 for a not so good 99 bike?!

I dont care what the letter on the plate is, afaict there were no major changes or revisions throughout the entire production run of the thundercat so aside from colours, what does it matter?

I have seen 96 and 97 bikes in silver/yellow so far so guessing colour is correct, just obviously been repainted.
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sun Feb 05 2012, 16:20

You're essentially right - if you find a bike in the right condition for money you are happy to pay, it's a deal! If, like me, you don't buy to sell, but buy to use, then resale value is of little consequence anyway (I've had mine nearly 10 years!). Just make sure you do the deal with eyes wide open - and asking in here will help with that. great
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Sun Feb 05 2012, 16:32

oh 100% agree, i wont be buying a Dog, if i have to wait a month to get the right bike, i will. I dont want to, but i will!

Im in the process of moving house and i simply cannot afford to buy twice, so she has to be right!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Sun Feb 05 2012, 16:52

SCRAP THAT!!!!!!! iv just been on the phone to the owner of a 2003 Tcat in my fave colour scheme, and providing she's as good as im told, ill be bringing her home tomorrow!
Mileage is higher than i would normally like, however it has a full and comprehensive service history including some good upgrades and has been the weekend tourer for an older gent, not ragged to death by an ego driven idiot ( like me?! Laughing) In all honesty if the engine died in this, id be happier putting a new one in, than buying a mediocre bike with a great engine.

Will update you all tomorrow!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sun Feb 05 2012, 17:20

Don't let high mileage put you off. The engines are pretty bullet proof if looked after.
What's your favourite colour scheme?

Good Luck
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Sun Feb 05 2012, 17:29

blue and white Smile this has all the boxes ticked so it would seem, so if i end up having to rebuild the lump in future its no real biggie!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down