Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

north meets south july 2012 ??

+3
stretchie_
MrNutt
HEHORE
7 posters

Go down

ThumbsUp north meets south july 2012 ??

Post  HEHORE Mon Dec 05 2011, 21:01

Well i found a post about the south comin up north , but it got nowhere , so i thought maybe, the north might want to come south ??
For a day could meet up a go for a ride OR come for the weekend
if its a weekend thing we could meet near brighton, take a ride down to arundel stop for a walk round and cup of tea ,-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(fill this bit in at a later date )----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------on sat make our way towards the new forest, find a nice village pub for dinner , then ride out to find somewhere to camp. Then on sunday head into beaulieu for the ride in show ( £6 pp )

hoping it to be july 13th -15th which coinsides with the motorcycle ride in show

let me know what you think.

info about ride in show

THANKS STEVE ( HEHORE)
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

ThumbsUp Re: north meets south july 2012 ??

Post  MrNutt Mon Dec 05 2011, 22:43

I'd be up for this, I've heard riding around the new forest is really nice
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue Dec 06 2011, 00:53

I'm up for it, sounds great. Only been over that way once before
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Dec 06 2011, 10:14

That is South!
I've probably ran out of brownie points for the excursions I have planned so probably won't manage.

Good on ya though and good luck.

The south hasn't been covered for quite a while.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Tue Dec 06 2011, 10:53

Rosco wrote:That is South!
I've probably ran out of brownie points for the excursions I have planned so probably won't manage.

Good on ya though and good luck.

The south hasn't been covered for quite a while.

Cheers
Rosco
well that's a shame , was hoping to get advice from you , ie how far to go on a ride out ,/ accommodation and things
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Dec 06 2011, 13:48

Advice...erm...

You may know the vast majority of all this already but hear goes.....

How far to go... Anywhere between about 175 -> 225 I'd suggest. Might want options for cutting it short or possibly extending it whilst en-route.

If you do a tryout (you really need to if you can) bear in mind that average riding speed, stops, fuel stops and lunch etc will all take longer in a group. The bigger the group the slower it is.

Suggest you have a stop fairly soon after you start to make sure everyone is ok / still with you. Suggest you go no longer than 45-60 miles between stops. Stops for fuel, lunch, photos, fags, pees, etc.

Accommodation - suggest you find a good pub that ideally has its own accommodation and/or plenty of accommodation nearby. Probably best to let folks pair up / sort their own accommodation as they see fit.

We've started to use Youth Hostels up here even although the number of 30, 40, 50, 60 and even 70 year olds outnumbers the youth's. We are allowed clink in our Hostels up here though tongue and it does help keep costs down even if you have to make your own breakfast / do your own washing up.

If you don't know the marker system that we normally use on our rideouts then try and get along to one before this one.

A rough guide is... Leader and Tail End Charlie should wear something easily recognisable such as a High-Viz.

EVERY junction, roundabout(island), slip road etc should be marked by No.2 in the group. If No.3 sees that No.2 hasn't marked then they should mark (and so on). Ideally the Leader should indicate to those behind that the junction should be marked.

Most important to be safe when marking. Might be safer to mark before OR after the junction. Might be safer to get off the bike completely. It is up to the individual(s)

If some folks are total newbies or prefer to ride at a lower average speed then they might be better not marking (keep moving) - this obviously needs to be known by everyone before heading off. And ideally they shouldn't be riding in position No.2

I personally prefer if 2 people can mark every junction where safe as it does allow for one rider to head back if there has been an excessive wait while still marking the junction. Don't forget to wait on their return should the Tail-End-Charlie appear from nowhere.

If only ONE person marks then they MUST NOT leave their post as people making their way towards there or back there will not know which way to go.

Folks MUST be told to STAY at their marker post ad finitum until someone comes to them or contacts them.

Everyone should at least have the mobile number of the leader and tail end charlie. Leader and Tail End Charlie should have everyone's number.

EVERYONE's SAFETY is EVERYONE's concern. Look after your own and others safety. If you think you're going too fast then you are. Give everyone plenty of room. Ride to your own ability and don't get sucked in. Ride your own ride. Feel free to wave people past you. Feel free to overtake (if you are 100% sure it's safe to do so for you and other riders) Don't just overtake for the sake of it. No bravado please.

As for advice on 'things' you'll need to be more specific.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Rosoc
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Tue Dec 06 2011, 14:41

Well as a noobie to it all , I believe I'm going to need help organising this so if any of the more experienced people want to help out that would be great ,
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Dec 06 2011, 15:40

There are a few Ride-Out ex-virgins down there that might be able to get involved. I'm sure they'll be along shortly.

Hat's off to you for posting this up and hope it gets plenty of interest.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Dec 06 2011, 15:52

I think some people reading this thread are looking my way .. whistle

Have a read of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I was testing the water this year and we did do a mini ride-out. A pathetic excuse of me doing damage to my shoulder put paid to exploring more routes this year.

The ride-outs organised via this site are to a high standard and I felt the one I did wasn't up to scratch. It had the makings of being good, but on the day the 30mp/h brigade had their monthly outing, clogging the otherwise brilliant A272 and with double white lines for most of the 'best bits' the morning was more an endurance than enjoyment.
I'm not trying to dampen enthusiasm here, lets see what we can do.

Not sure about doing anything remotely close to the big smoke during that 'little tournament of events' taking place next year. I know there will be a number of days when parts of Surrey will be closed because of the cycle race. I suspect many roads will be even more clogged than usual in neighbouring counties.

Whereabouts did you have in mind in Arundle?

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Tue Dec 06 2011, 16:37

Good Luck with the rideout, but I'm watching Big Mick, hoping the dates fit.

A pub, real ale, fantastic food and a comfy bed, petrol in my tank and sunshine, what else do you need??!!!
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Tue Dec 06 2011, 19:44

ellie wrote:Good Luck with the rideout, but I'm watching Big Mick, hoping the dates fit.

A pub, real ale, fantastic food and a comfy bed, petrol in my tank and sunshine, what else do you need??!!!
Umm, Errr . . . . ah got it . . . A Bike rofl
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Tue Dec 06 2011, 19:55

Ah,but that small matter is sorted Cool
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Tue Dec 06 2011, 23:46

SteveCat wrote:I think some people reading this thread are looking my way .. whistle
i can understand that , but ill be honest , im new to it all , never been on a ride out let alone organised one , my reasoning to this idea was the motorcycle show which is why i thought about it , so a large group of us could all turn up together

SteveCat wrote:Whereabouts did you have in mind in Arundle?
and awnser to this , honistly , no idea , been there once as a stop off point to see family thought it was a nice little place with nice views

SteveCat wrote:The ride-outs organised via this site are to a high standard and I felt the one I did wasn't up to scratch
i doubt mine would ever be up to the same level , but im hoping the people who are up for doing this will be willing to help to make it a better meet/ride ,

and yes i am pretty much wanting to do a group descustion on where to ride to and thinks as i dont like making decitions and have not much experiance of the area , i know the route to work and family in southampton , thats pretty much my road knowledge
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Wed Dec 07 2011, 13:45

More than happy to help out
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Wed Dec 07 2011, 21:53

sorry guys , gunna scrap this idea at the mo, sorry , will try sort sumthing else out in the south soon tho
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu Dec 08 2011, 08:46

Stretchie sometimes has that effect Wink
Never mind.

Hopefully the Deep South will be catered for sometime soon.

Cheers
Rosco

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Thu Dec 08 2011, 09:41

Well me and steve and going to talk and try sort a ride for southern's then we'll see how that goes first
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Dec 08 2011, 09:54

I think if we ever do get a Southern Something for the Weekend going, we'll have to call it The Albatross.

The Albatross has the largest wingspan of any bird, very good in flight but it really battles to take off
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Thu Dec 08 2011, 11:16

Well between me you and hopefully a few others we can get the ALBATROSS of the ground and make it what we can
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down