Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just bought a Thundercat and looking for some advice please :)

+3
SteveCat
sir digby
Mapman
7 posters

Go down

Just bought a Thundercat and looking for some advice please :) Empty Just bought a Thundercat and looking for some advice please :)

Post  Mapman Mon Jun 27 2011, 22:38

Hi folks,

I've just bought the 1998 Thundercat from one of my mate's that has been in my garage for the last 7 years (the bike that is, not my mate Smile ) and I'm well chuffed. It's in great nick as it's only done 13k because the last few years it has barely turned a wheel.

I've got a few things to do to it before putting it back on the road so I'd be really grateful for any hints and tips you folks could provide. I'm fairly handy with a spanner and will tackle most jobs but will be getting the Haynes manual just in case and to keep me right. I'm a bit of an old fart when it comes to maps and manuals and like to do things right first time. I'll obviously be draining all the fluids off before fitting new plugs and filters etc and being Scottish I have a budget so any advice on where to get these things from would be most appreciated. The main things I wouldn't mind some advice on are things like:

Best type of oil (sure to create some opinions here)?
Any notable advantage on the iridium spark plugs or are the CR9E's fine?
Fork seals need replacing - has anyone documented a "How-To" for this or should I just follow the Haynes manual?
What type of fork oil should I use?

Once I'm mobilised I'll soon be looking to upgrade some parts and again would be grateful for advice on where to get some smarter modern style indicators and rear light as the standard ones are a bit old-fashioned looking. Also keen on replacing the screen as it has the standard clear one but it has a few marks that I can't get rid of. Was thinking about the double bubble style but not sure what colour etc.

I'm 6ft 2 and about 13 stone (yeah, pretty lanky) and so any advice on suspension settings that I should be using would be good to know about. I'll be taking things easy as I've not ridden for a few years, my last bike has a 1991 GSX600F which I sold about 10 years ago.

Great to be back in the fold Very Happy
Mapman.
Mapman
Mapman
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 194
Hobbies : Cars/Bikes/Skiing/Golf/etc
Humour : Some
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Just bought a Thundercat and looking for some advice please :) Empty Re: Just bought a Thundercat and looking for some advice please :)

Post  sir digby Mon Jun 27 2011, 23:12

hi and welcome mapman have a good look round the site loads of info on here i keep find new stuff every day everyone on here is really helpfull anyway get some pictures before and after that would be good
cheers
mark
ps are all our friends north of the border stockpilling cats up there whats going on :lol3:
sir digby
sir digby
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 361
Hobbies : roofer/titting about
Humour : if iam put on life support machine turn it off and on again see if that works
Registration date : 2011-04-19

http://yorkhomeimprovements.com

Back to top Go down

Just bought a Thundercat and looking for some advice please :) Empty Re: Just bought a Thundercat and looking for some advice please :)

Post  SteveCat Mon Jun 27 2011, 23:32

Hi Mapman, welcome

Semi Synthetic oil, any brand will be fine, Halfords is one favourite, but make sure its for motorbikes - car oil is no good - 10w40
I've no idea on the plugs, only ever used CR9E's and they been fine.
Take a look here for some info on the fork seals.

Fork oil might be more contentious than engine oil. Standard is 5W, some recommend 7.5W I went for 10w.
I posted a link for suspension setup for a R1, all the bits are the same though for the Thundercat

The search feature will provide a few threads on these topics

Last edited by SteveCat on Tue Jun 28 2011, 09:17; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : get the spelling of the bike right !!!)
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Mapman Mon Jun 27 2011, 23:48

Thanks guys.

Done some searching there and already found a heap of useful stuff. Why didn't I think of trying that first? Typical IT guy... LOL

Mapman.
Mapman
Mapman
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Jun 28 2011, 00:23

Hi Mapman.

The auto-correct on my phone really wanted to call you madman. How rude.

Welcome to the McThundercat clan.

I ditto what Stevecat found you. Feel free to post any questions you have. Someone's sure to have already been there and done that.

Your 'local' rideout way up in Ullapool next month if you are interested.

Check out ' how about - something for the weekend'

Cheers
Rosco

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Tue Jun 28 2011, 09:20

Hi & welcome. I would definately replace the tyres being sat for so long. They will have hardened & be past there best.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Tue Jun 28 2011, 09:22

Hello and Welcome to the forum,

here's a link to Weasleys' thread for a replacement L.E.D rear light fer yer thundercat great
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Mapman Tue Jun 28 2011, 18:21

Thanks again folks, more good stuff there. Really like the look of that LED light so that's a must have soon, defo. What about the indicators that German ebayer has them too, anyone tried them, any good?

I've ordered a heap of stuff today except the tyres as they look and feel fine but I was wondering about these so you make a good point, I'll be taking it canny for a while and wearing the middles out, not the edges Wink so looks like I'll be busy next weekend when I have all my bits ready.

Ordered a paddock stand too, never thought about that until searching around in here but certainly is a "must have item too". Sorted. Just don't tell the wife Embarassed

@ Rosco - Ha, I almost tried to register using that name as it was my nickname when at school.
Mapman
Mapman
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulstwarrior Wed Jul 27 2011, 00:43

Hi on question of standard spark plugs and iridium ones... been dying to know the answer. Did a wee bit of research Iridium conducts better than copper so in theory it boosts HP slightly ie up to 2bhp, and they are supposed to last 75000 miles... I would doubt either will make much difference to your Cat and as said by steviecat standard plugs are fine.
Ulstwarrior
Ulstwarrior
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 17
Hobbies : Bikez, food, outdoors
Humour : Yeah got a sense of one
Registration date : 2011-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 27 2011, 07:27

Welcome to the forum
Suzie
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Jul 27 2011, 14:29

Ulstwarrior wrote: it boosts HP slightly ie up to 2bhp, and they are supposed to last 75000 miles... I would doubt either will make much difference to your Cat and as said by steviecat standard plugs are fine.

Well 75 000 miles sure caught my eye, so had a sniff myself, found this

Somebody somewhere on the internet wrote: Service life estimates can be up to 60000 miles for normally aspirated car engines and up to 20000 miles for motorcycles - this is extremely subjective though, a high revving motorcycle or extremely modified car engine will most likely wear plugs out in a few thousand miles.

As I usually get 20 000 miles from the CR9E's, I'm not so sure about the iridium's.

An update since originally posting, I now have two thundercat 's, one is old and high mileage with CR9E's the other is newer with Iridium's. The newer bike accelerates faster and uses less fuel when stretching the cable than the old one - is that the plugs? Think it's more likely the difference is in the age/condition of the bike.

Mapman, as the bikes been standing I'd clean the carbs, not just drain them. Check the wheel bearings, worth looking at the brake callipers too.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down