Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lovely weather but no ride

5 posters

Go down

Lovely weather but no ride Empty Lovely weather but no ride

Post  SteveCat Sun Jun 27 2010, 19:41

I'm sure most of the country has had a good weather weekend, 30C was predicted around here and it feels about right. Great weather for the bike right? yip except someone isn't feelin' well and that ain't me :(

I had a brainwave earlier in the week to maximse the excellent riding conditions and go out on Friday down to Brighton (fish 'n' chips on the pier) taking the longer, scenic route green smile. It was a fantastic ride and was really enjoyable, but as I got close to Beachy Head (Eastbourne) things weren't feeling that grand with the bike, could feel some grinding from the back and the odd noise. When stopped, had a look and couldn't see anything wrong. Problem goes away till Brighton, pulling off from an intersection an almighty symphony of noises starts, metallic, clicking, grinding noises and the bike shudders - not nice at all. The last time I used the back brake it kicked back like an ABS system.

Still can't see anything wrong, decide to try and get home but had visions that would be on a recovery truck. Bike starts to wobble, the back tyre is not running straight anymore. Daren't lean into corners and the trip up the M23/A23 was slower than we had been doing on the B roads earlier. Riding slowly and not touching the rear brake, against all odds we get home.

It seems the rear wheel bearing's gone - that's not bad I'm sure I had that replaced a year ago :o. The 3 month old brake pads are whacked (probably from the wobbling). Not sure what's caused this - new chain might not be ruled out, maybe the jet wash was more powerful than I thought when washing the bike a month or so ago, or maybe it's simply due to the high mileage and only the front bearing was changed.

I was told it'll be OK to ride the bike the weekend, but with it wobbling like it has a flat tyre, I wasn't going to chance it - so grounded on the hottest day of the year :( :(
Instead I decided to ignore the good weather and console myself by making a nice Durban Curry (oh I like it super hot)
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Lovely weather but no ride Empty Re: Lovely weather but no ride

Post  Guest Sun Jun 27 2010, 19:56

ooh not good Stevie Crying or Very sad if it's any consolation i DID go for a ride - Neil & I went up to old RAF Binbrook site as there was an open day thingy on for the Lightning association so we went up and i had a photo taken with a Lightning Smile could kick myself for not getting one with the bike at the golf range when they still had one there. Still, it was a nostalgia trip for me - brought back many memories riding past old Alcatraz block and on to the camp and past my old office and all my haunts. Blooming hot tho so on the way back we went bardney bends and back to Woodhall where i had a scoop each of tiramisu ice cream and raspberry ripple - well it would've been rude not to!
On the way up along the B1225 there was a lovely field full of poppies so stopped off for a photo opportunity.
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sun Jun 27 2010, 20:00

Thanks that helped whistle

Glad you were able to get out and enjoyed it (no really). Biggen Hill airshow this weekend so the Red Arrows came over to see where I was, but were gone before I could get the camera out
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 27 2010, 20:08

SteveCat wrote:Thanks that helped whistle

Glad you were able to get out and enjoyed it (no really). Biggen Hill airshow this weekend so the Red Arrows came over to see where I was, but were gone before I could get the camera out

Red Arrows ...... :sleep: only joking - it's just we're a bit spoiled as far as they and the BBMF are concerned - this time of year just about every time i go up to Lincoln Red Arrows are out practising
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun Jun 27 2010, 21:31

It was just too hot for me and i stayed at home...watched the England game...doh wall
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Mon Jun 28 2010, 20:03

I know the feeling of not being able to ride wall On the plus side though, I've spent the best part of the weekend in the paddling pool with my boys and I am looking rather bronzed great
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Jun 28 2010, 22:00

andyb wrote:I know the feeling of not being able to ride wall

as promised I did do part of the ride thinking of you, that part went very well Very Happy

Will find out the damage done tomorrow, my pocket will screech more than the rear wheel when the bill is presented :(
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 29 2010, 01:43

Damn , that's a bit crap , at least you kept control of your bike . Shocked
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 29 2010, 01:53

Funnily enough Weasley has a rear wheel bearing problem , I found this on ebay [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Jun 29 2010, 13:38

That's a good price- Think I'm in for £10 a bearing.

Yip bearing had gone, well actually disintegrated more aptly describes the condition it was in.

Clutch cable getting replaced, I do hope that sorts out the stiff operation and the fork oil has been changed, hoping for some improvement there too
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Tue Jun 29 2010, 13:52

yep im here to with a nackered bike read bsb mallory
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Jul 06 2010, 23:49

Crikey..........Maybe the Thundercats don't like the heat.

I'm in sunny Italy > 35 deg and have only seen one so far.

Plenty of expensive road tolls and also flip-flop, shorts and vest wearing, helmet-less or helmet-not-strapped scooter and bikers zooming around though. Everone is driving and riding like it is their last day Mad

If you leave some braking distance (I'm in the car by the way) then the vehicle behind feels obliged to overtake to fill it.

Crazy.......but nice wine and food makes up for it a bit.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down