Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South East Route - 146 Miles

4 posters

Go down

South East Route - 146 Miles Empty South East Route - 146 Miles

Post  SteveCat Thu Nov 06 2008, 16:52

A route from Ide Hill in Kent through Wadhurst, Brightling onto Rye then Bexhill on Sea, Beachy Head, Seaford up the nice bit of the A26 and then Biggin Hill.

There are a few very nice roads getting to the Ide Hill starting point (the car park next to the loos). The view into the valley is great and you can see the Bough Beach reservoir, the road down to Bough Beach is great, but is not included in this route.

I have tried to avoid the A21 as much as possible, especially the congested single lane bits. The route goes past the Brown Trout Pub; they serve a very good reasonably priced meal. This is the start of the ‘decent’ roads. The bikers meet in Rye is opposite the Kettle o’ Fish – good chippy. There are other eateries to suit other tastes.

There is a bit of backtracking to get to Bexhill on Sea and then onto Beachy Head. It’s worth looking at the steep chalk cliffs –if you have a good head for heights continue (riding) down the road and look out for the lighthouse on your left. A bit of a walk up the hill, but the view is worth it (walk off your lunch anyway!).

Onto Seaford and then up the A26, some really nice twisties – hope you have better luck than me and not being stuck behind a string of cars and busses. Skirt around Lewes and up the B2028.

Distance is about 150 miles. I haven’t put any fuel stops in (‘coz I have a Thundercat). Guess a good stop would be Seaford (97 miles from start). Loos at all the stops I have mentioned (for those riders and/or pillions who do less MPG than a bike). Police activity is moderate.

Route can be viewed in Google Earth and there is a SatNav file for your Garmin in this zipped file(click here). Click the link and open with your zip program. Select ryeloop-tc.kml for the Google Earth file, ryeloop-tc.gpx is the Garmin route file.

-Steve

Link is broken, will need to find a new home for the files and repost

Last edited by SteveCat on Fri Jan 08 2010, 10:24; edited 3 times in total
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

South East Route - 146 Miles Empty Re: South East Route - 146 Miles

Post  Sooty521 Sat Nov 08 2008, 14:24

Hi Steve

Living in Kent, would love to try this route.

However, I may be being thick, but cannot see an attachment to open so i can put in Google Earth?

Any tips!

Thanks

Soots
Sooty521
Sooty521
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 42
Hobbies : Insurance Loss Adjuster (boring, but can be useful!!)

Back to top Go down

South East Route - 146 Miles Empty download of file

Post  SteveCat Sat Nov 08 2008, 15:51

Hi,

Modified the text a bit, should be a little easier to spot now. The file was hidden behind the word 'zipped' Have tried changing the colour to red but doesn't seem to work. Also I can't seem to be able to upload a file other than a picture, hence the link to my webspace.

I have some other routes, some go close by where you are. Didn't want to clog the board up with all my stuff, so will hold off a bit before posting some more.

We must do the meet-up we promised some time ago ( a modified version of this ride might be good), This new board will enable us to communicate far easier.

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Sooty521 Sat Nov 08 2008, 16:38

Thanks Steve, looks like a good ride!

Will have to check out some of your other routes as well, pity you have not got a Tom Tom rider as that would save me time in following route!!

May be able to convert from Google Earth somehow, will have to do some research

You are right re ride, lets hope weather cheers up soon. Just fitted new can and not had much chance to get out since..................bugger!

Cheers again for the route

Soots
Sooty521
Sooty521
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Catapulted Sat Nov 08 2008, 17:14

Sooty

Download ITN Conv. from here

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I use it all the time to convert between Garmin, TomTom and Autoroute files.

Its free

Mark
Catapulted
Catapulted
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sat Nov 08 2008, 17:19

Sorry . . . . was there a link there :cyclops: . . . . no matter how many times I try get those buttons they just move to fast taz
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sooty521 Sat Nov 08 2008, 21:05

Thanks Mark, will give it a go.

Was trying with TYRE, but not suceeded yet!
Sooty521
Sooty521
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down