Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Go down

New Member Empty New Member

Post  Cackhanded Thu Jun 14 2018, 08:40

Hi all new to group,just got a 1998 CAT cheap .already changed rotten headers and brakes, airfilter, oil and filter ,chain/sprockets. tyres next to do and very small weep on 1 front shock.Any advice on oil grade for forks and weather its worth putting progresive springs in her.Rearshock seems ok but bump stop has perished,to be expected on a 20year old bike.could do the R6 shock change but is it worth it ???. ps she's an orange /silver paint job.bit of a change from my last bike which was SL1000 Falco.
Cackhanded
Cackhanded

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-06-14

Back to top Go down

New Member Empty Re: New Member

Post  SteveCat Thu Jun 14 2018, 11:10

Hi and welcome.

I had progressive springs in mine and ran 15w oil. There is a possibility that the rear shock is not the original, if this is the case I'm sure you could have it rebuilt.
If you search for the R6 shock conversion on this site you'll be able to see if it is worth sourcing the bits and fitting one.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  past-it Thu Jun 14 2018, 14:10

Welcome to the site, Same age and colour as mine. I found a good quality 10w oil the best for the front forks. As for the spring, if the damper adjusting screws are seized, fit a set of progressive weighted springs for your weight, if the adjusters are free fit a set of weighted linear springs. Run the rear damper assembly till the damping fails then fit a Hagon or the R6 damper mod( I found the R6 a little stiff solo but perfect with a pillion ), but do grease the rear suspension bearings as they cause a harsh ride. Other than the headlamp the bike will do most jobs well (Yamahas version of the VFR), ride and enjoy.
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Jun 14 2018, 14:38

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Nice to see people are still seeking us out here. Have a reet good old snoop around all the different fora and areas of the site. You'll find a veritable wealth of info.

If you look in the "Something for the Weekend" section, you'll find we're a sociable bunch and meet up a couple of few times a year for rides out and a good old shindig. Perhaps you may wish one day to come along and join in left thumb up

In the meantime, welcome once again and ride safe, stay well great

Cheers
Tel Toff
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Sat Jun 16 2018, 17:13

Hi & welcome. In the past i know people have mixed a 5w oil with a 10w oil to make a 7.5w oil & it depends on youre weight & how you ride it etc.

Paul
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down