Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The black "bung" on the front sprocket cover

4 posters

Go down

shock The black "bung" on the front sprocket cover

Post  barrowdave Thu Aug 20 2015, 21:40

Ok this may be a dumb question, but is the black bung an inspection cover, to enable me to see the sprocket/chain without removing the whole cover? I ask because I recently fitted a new chain, and, after about 2 miles, there is a bit of noise from the chain. Can't tell exactly where, as I have to be doing about 20mph to get the noise, if you see what I mean. Any help appreciated
barrowdave
barrowdave
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2015-08-07

Back to top Go down

shock Re: The black "bung" on the front sprocket cover

Post  dudeofrude Thu Aug 20 2015, 21:49

Not sure what black bung your on about? Unless you mean the one the clutch cable goes into, in which case thats just a guide I think?

As for the chain noise... have you checked for the basics? Wheel alignment, chain tension, frozen links etc?
I had a weird noise coming from my chain and turned out to be the front sprocket nut had come loose so thats worth checking

Personally I'd get it up on a stand and spin it, it'll be easier and safer to have a listen/inspection
dudeofrude
dudeofrude
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 426
Hobbies : Gym, Tattoos, Ps4
Humour : Sick, Sarcastic
Registration date : 2014-07-08

http://www.abstract-tattoos.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Catnapper Thu Aug 20 2015, 22:10

Hi dave. 
I've been noticing a few more cats in Barrow. We will have to meet. 
The bung you are on about is for adjusting the clutch 
I had exactly the same noise and took it to John wrens and slackened my chain. Job done. Any problems pm me and will meet up
Catnapper
Catnapper
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 365
Hobbies : Motoring, DIY
Humour : Lacking, Grumpy Old Man
Registration date : 2015-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  The White One Fri Aug 21 2015, 07:04

The black bung is a cover for the clutch adjustment screw and lock nut. You wont see anything through there. If you want to look at the sprocket youll have to take the sprocket cover off.

If its a new chain then I would first check the front sprocket for wear/hooking and if the rear is fine as well then it will be chain too tight or too loose. Unless you removed the rear wheel and forgot to put a spacer back in?
The White One
The White One
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 467
Hobbies : Riding, Fixing, Riding Fixing
Humour : Dry, witty, Known as the child.
Registration date : 2014-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowdave Fri Aug 21 2015, 07:09

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

The black bung I mean is about 1" in diameter (for us fossils (over 60)) or 25mm, (for young trendies!)

It's at the front of the cover, as you look from the side (which I have just done) and I reckon you're right about the clutch.
I read on here last night that new chains do stretch a bit, so maybe I have made it a bit tighter than it should be when I adjusted it after 50 miles.  I'm also going to give it a good lube over the weekend, in case any links are sticking.  I've measured the distance from the swing-arm pivot points on both sides, and they are equal, so the rear wheel should be aligned.

I replaced the chain by loosening off the adjusters on the old one as much as possible to create a sagging loop which would come off the rear sprocket, then used an angle grinder to cut through the old chain, ground off a pin, forced the pin out, then linked the new chain to the end of the old one, and fed it through until both ends of the new chain were close together.  Then it was fit the new chain with the link, and away!!

Good idea to meet up, but I have a funeral to go to next week, so not much in the mood for riding at the moment.
barrowdave
barrowdave
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2015-08-07

Back to top Go down