Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disc locks

+8
HEHORE
stretchie_
SteveCat
Snowcat
Rosco
Cheshirecat
Wooster
Insomniac247
12 posters

Go down

question Disc locks

Post  Insomniac247 Mon May 19 2014, 20:04

What disc lock work's with standard thundercat discs ? I have a collection of five different disc locks, but not one can be used on my cat the pin's are to big and the designe of the disc carrier means I cant use the carrier either to secure the lock lol fuming 
Insomniac247
Insomniac247
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 7
Hobbies : not many....i'm married
Humour : yes
Registration date : 2014-04-29

Back to top Go down

question Re: Disc locks

Post  Wooster Mon May 19 2014, 22:15

They're probably not worth bothering about, if someone is after the bike they'll probably just lift the whole thing into the back of a van since they'd need to get around the steering lock anyway.

Plus it'll save you forgetting it's still on one day and trying to drive off, with hilarious consequences for everyone on the street. Smile

-edit- Here's a link with some options: https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org/t4028-disc-lock-fairing-damage
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Mon May 19 2014, 22:33

I'd have to agree with worsted, waste of time, if they want your bike they will just take it one way or another!
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 498
Humour : Humour??
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon May 19 2014, 23:26

There is room under the seat for a reasonable sized chain lock.
Better one of them and then round something immovable IMHO.

I lost count of the number of times I set off on my first bike (Bandit) with disc lock attached. Saved it most times and fell off the rest.
I did it once on the thundercat and binned the disclock after that.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Tue May 20 2014, 17:07

I have a motag vishas vd1 disc lock, worked on my Thundercat and works on my blade. Never had any issues with getting it on (or forgetting to take it off). I agree if someone wants to steal your bike they'll find a way but the way I see it if I'm parked next to a bike with no visible deterrent on which are they more likely to try and take.

Plus this model is thacham approved and gives you a discount off your insurance.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Tue May 20 2014, 18:29

Do they say it gives you a discount, or has your insurance said it'll give you one by using it?

(When I removed my alarm, I was surprised to find it made no difference. As usual they're probably more interested in the postcode.)
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue May 20 2014, 20:06

I think it's for personal peace of mind, if there's a will there's a relative and somehow a way will be found to take the bike. Agree with Snowcat chances are for the opportunist thief the easier bike to take may be on their radar.
I have told the insurance company I use no locking / security devices at all, live in a high risk Post Code area and found the reduction for me wasn't worth the potential hassle of proving I had chained the bike or whatever.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Tue May 20 2014, 20:53

Wooster wrote:Do they say it gives you a discount, or has your insurance said it'll give you one by using it?

(When I removed my alarm, I was surprised to find it made no difference. As usual they're probably more interested in the postcode.)
Carol Nash declared all mods (which made no difference as they deemed none performance enhancing) but the disc lock knocked about 5% off the premium, not a kings ransom but every little helps
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Wed May 21 2014, 00:49

Not bad. Cool 
I've always had high quotes (fully comp with breakdown/recovery) from them and never indulged.

It was down to as low as £135 a couple of years ago, but it shot up to £185 (best quote) this year.

Probably paying for all them floods. Smile
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Wed May 21 2014, 10:11

I've got an Oxford Monster disk/padlock, I don't know if they still do it, it came as a pack with the chain, but that was almost 10 years ago, Can be used either as a disk lock or as the padlock for the chain, great bit of kit.

I massivly agree with the above, if someone wants it bad enough they'll take it, but a bit of visual deterrent stops the chancers

Rosco wrote:I lost count of the number of times I set off on my first bike (Bandit) with disc lock attached
Ha haa haaa, I love you soo much, I always tell people "You'll only do it once"
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Wed May 21 2014, 15:45

The thing to remember is when you buy an insurance approved lock that gives discount, keep all the paperwork that you get with it as there is a certificate in there that the insurance company will want before the process a claim, if you don't have the certificate you can't prove the lock is what you said and then they won't payout, also if you tell them the lock you use when ever you leave your bike that lock has to be on it, I found that out when I cemented my chain into the floor at home, bike was stolen from my mums and the gave me a load of Shit as it wasn't locked
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Insomniac247 Wed May 21 2014, 19:09

The chains I've got atm are 1.5m so I'll have some fun trying to make it fit under the seat....but I'll defo try it though lol but I can always buy a smaller one eh  Very Happy 
what size chain would you guys recommend to live under my cats seat?
Thanks for the advice guys  great great 

Kevin.
Insomniac247
Insomniac247
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Wed May 21 2014, 22:18

I use Oxford Monster Disc Lock. As with anything, it's a deterrent. Even if you chain your bike to a lamp-post, some bolt croppers will still get through it in a matter of seconds.
As Snowcat said, if they see yours with an alarm and disc lock, they may look for an easier target.

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  prime Thu May 22 2014, 16:55

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/171069779222?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

bought one of these from halfords a couple of weeks ago for a tenner. Had to cut the rubber sheath off the u bit so it would fit on the disc as its quite narrow.
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 376
Hobbies : mature student at salford uni, my little family, music (all types), riding and the great outdoors.
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Insomniac247 Fri May 23 2014, 13:52

Ah I have a squire disc lock like this so I guess I'm gonna cut the rubber sheath off it then  Laughing , thanks to everyone for your input.........I'm off to perform surgery on my disc lock  Smile

Kevin
Insomniac247
Insomniac247
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri May 23 2014, 14:08

If you must use a disc lock I'd seriously consider attaching some cable to it and put in round your handlebar when in use.

Schoolboy errors are just too easy to do.....said the man with 11 numpty points.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  prime Sat May 24 2014, 08:46

Its got to go on slanted coming in from the rear of the disc so the yellow locking part is on the front. Easy enough to work out though
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 376
Hobbies : mature student at salford uni, my little family, music (all types), riding and the great outdoors.
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  sir digby Sat May 24 2014, 17:16

Mines a oxford screamer alarm and disc lock u never forget its on
Cheers
Mark
sir digby
sir digby
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 361
Hobbies : roofer/titting about
Humour : if iam put on life support machine turn it off and on again see if that works
Registration date : 2011-04-19

http://yorkhomeimprovements.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy1969 Thu Jul 02 2015, 08:57

I use a Xena xx14 alarmed disc lock, it works perfectly on standard cat discs, I use a reminder in the ignition to stop me riding off with it on  hilarious   I agree that a disc lock won't stop a professional thief but it will deter the scumbag opportunist thief.
Andy1969
Andy1969
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Registration date : 2015-06-23

Back to top Go down