Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back on the road after an eventful day! :)

+3
Wooster
Radar
fr3tless
7 posters

Go down

Back on the road after an eventful day! :) Empty Back on the road after an eventful day! :)

Post  fr3tless Sun Mar 16 2014, 21:05

Firstly, I want to say a massive thanks to everybody that's helped me over the past couple of moths regarding the 'cat, without you the help i'd still be stuck wondering what was wrong with the thing Smile

So, two long, eventful and tiring weekends the bike is finally back on the road! She is running a bit rough, bottom end is groggy and doesn't rev all the way after 2nd gear, i'm thinking the carbs need balancing? I've also got a new can for it, I went for a second hand Micron in the end as it was going cheap on ebay Smile

The eventful part of the day - Went for lengthy rides around Warwickshire/Leicester to give the bike a good run with a couple of mates, in all we must have covered around 120 miles-ish. On our way back, on the a426 about 15 miles from home, I was trying to get an understanding of the power (four washers that sit between the carbs and engine may have got lost  Rolling Eyes ),just accelerating out of a corner at somewhere between 60-90, with two friends following directly behind on a zx7r + Firestorm, my new can and link pipe decided to rocket off the bike narrowly missing both... To start with i thought something had blown in my engine, at least until i looked in my mirror.... after pulling over and calming down we did what anyone would... Flybys with no can!
After about an hour i had someone come and pick my exhaust up for me and rode home with no exhaust, if anyone has every ran the 'cat with no exhaust you'll understand that my ears are still ringing slightly tongue

Surprisingly, there is very minimal damage to the can, there's some scuffs on the left hand side but nothing major Smile

As for the overheating, I topped up the coolant again in the radiator and it sorted everything out

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here's a picture my friend took once we pulled over:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
fr3tless
fr3tless
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-08-27

Back to top Go down

Back on the road after an eventful day! :) Empty Re: Back on the road after an eventful day! :)

Post  Radar Sun Mar 16 2014, 22:09

Glad everybody was ok
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Back on the road after an eventful day! :) Empty Re: Back on the road after an eventful day! :)

Post  Wooster Sun Mar 16 2014, 23:23

Could have been nasty all round, glad it worked out OK.  Cool 
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  fr3tless Sun Mar 16 2014, 23:28

Luckily no one was hurt, the speed the can was flying down the road, I'm extremely surprised in all honesty. making sure I get decent clamps tomorrow morning Smile
fr3tless
fr3tless
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  fr3tless Sun Mar 16 2014, 23:30

here's a video with no can... I'd rolled off the throttle at this point [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
fr3tless
fr3tless
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Mon Mar 17 2014, 01:12

I have run mime round the shop to buy a clamp with no exhaust, it's fu**in loud, but was also told it's really not good for the engine due to loss of back pressure and cam apparently cause damage to the valves
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Mar 17 2014, 10:37

Good feeling getting back on the road after a fairly massive amount of work to the bike, glad there wasn't a different outcome of the flying can.
Your link isn't working to the video.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5110
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  fr3tless Mon Mar 17 2014, 11:28

I'll try and get another link to the video, and post it in a minute Smile

In terms of the bike running rough, it seems to affect the low end rpm and doesn't want to go all the way through the rev range past 2nd/3rd gear, do you think it could be the carbs needing balancing?
fr3tless
fr3tless
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  fr3tless Mon Mar 17 2014, 11:36

Does this one work? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
fr3tless
fr3tless
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Mar 17 2014, 11:51

The second link works  left thumb up 

These your original carbs or did you get another set with the engine?
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  fr3tless Mon Mar 17 2014, 11:53

They're the original, but they have been sat for two weeks + probably knocked etc when putting them back in... It sounds like its struggling to suck air in up to about 5k rpm, then suddenly the acceleration kicks in

My other thought, is one of my friends or myself haven't connected a hose properly... Going to disconnect then reconnect the tank, airbox and carbs later to check for kinks etc

Last edited by fr3tless on Mon Mar 17 2014, 11:59; edited 1 time in total
fr3tless
fr3tless
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Mar 17 2014, 11:58

That was the next step I was going to suggest you check. The ram air pipes to the airbox, they all back on OK, the air filter seated correctly ? etc. Sounds like some sort of air restriction.

I would very much doubt carb balancing would be the cause of this (or the only cause if the carbs were badly knocked about)
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Mon Mar 17 2014, 12:32

Bloody hell! I know the 'Cat's a bit under-estimated. Evidently it has the power to blow the exhaust off!! Was it 5k you said when 'the acceleration kicks-in'?
Which parts of Warwickshire/Leicestershire do you ride? Might be worth not following a red 'Cat until you've got this issue resolved. rofl 

Seriously, glad to hear (even if you temporarily couldn't  Shocked ) that you can laugh about it afterwards.
Do get the clamp sorted, and what about the exhaust hanger?

Shame your friend didn't get an audio recording to go with the photo. That would have been interesting.
Not sure if the swearing on your part or laughter from your mates would have been louder than the sound of the departing can  green smile  

Chris

Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  fr3tless Mon Mar 17 2014, 12:41

Hopefully it'll get sorted later stevecat

Haha, I commute from rugby to Leicester 4 days a week, so avoid the m1 and a426 Wink
I've put the standard can back on now, I can't get the micron back on yet due to the deformation of the link pipe where it blew off...

initially I thought something regarding the engine had blown, because, you know, I fitted it n'all, it wasn't until I looked in my mirror as I was slowing down I noticed the exhaust spinning round behind me tongue And yes the swearing was extremely loud gaga
fr3tless
fr3tless
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  fr3tless Tue Mar 18 2014, 11:20

one problem solved, another developed.

my tank was sat on the hose that connects to the back of the air box causing the bike to bog down at low revs, it's now running near perfectly! Smile

I now however have noticed an oil leak on the right hand side of my engine on the clutch cover... we changed them over from my old engine as the new one was a bit scraped but didn't think about the gasket... luckily they're only £6 online, so I'm not too bothered Smile
fr3tless
fr3tless
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Tue Mar 18 2014, 11:32

I was trying to get an understanding of the power (four washers that sit between the carbs and engine may have got lost),

Thats alot of power for an 18 year old!

Im pleased no accidents were caused when the can dropped off!  Shocked 

ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  fr3tless Tue Mar 18 2014, 11:39

It is, but I respect that and in all honesty, the speed isn't much different to when it was on 33bhp, I'm putting the restrictor back in just to cover myself though, I've only got 6 months left Smile
fr3tless
fr3tless
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Mar 18 2014, 12:24

fr3tless wrote: didn't think about the gasket.

You may already know this, make sure all the bits of the old gasket are cleaned off - any bits left on could cause another leak. Use some gasket cement where the engine casings join.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down