Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting the old T Cat back on the road at last

+11
greencat
0ldcat
Woody
Rosco
SteveCat
yamahamad
Toni
Panzerbuilder
andyb
Wild-Kat-Wolf
haddy
15 posters

Go down

Getting the old T Cat back on the road at last Empty Getting the old T Cat back on the road at last

Post  haddy Tue May 11 2010, 21:37

Evening all, just joined the group but had my Thundercat for about 6 years although its been laid up for the last 3. It's a 1996 on an 'R' in black/silver/orange (the fastest colour). Inevitably the front brakes are siezed and the downpipes have rotted even though its been garaged. Had the callipers off today and cleaned them up, put them back on, will take them off again tommorrow and give them to someone who knows how to clean them properly! Also tried to remove the fairing today but one screw has defeated me (the one nearest the rear wheel) so thats another job half done. Am going to order a set of 'Delkevic' stainless steel downpipes as they seem to have good reviews and are well priced (£159.99) unless anyone has any bad stories about them. Of course, I need to get the F*cking fairing off and take the old pipes off before they can go on (I have a bad feeling about that already). It's a long and knuckle scraping road ahead before the old girl is match fit again but I'll hopefully see some of you on the road before the summer is over (if it ever gets here).
I am not online that regularly so don't be offended if I don't reply to messages straight away, or indeed at all, its probably nothing personal!
Ride safe (not an issue for me yet).
haddy
haddy

Male Status :

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Getting the old T Cat back on the road at last Empty Re: Getting the old T Cat back on the road at last

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Tue May 11 2010, 21:46

Welcome to the gang
Yep it's a pesky little fecker that bolt! Hope you have plenty if plasters! Hope to see you out and about at some of the hideous - I'm sure you'll get there eventually - I'd all else fails you can always drill it out Twisted Evil

Fi girl_witch
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Getting the old T Cat back on the road at last Empty Re: Getting the old T Cat back on the road at last

Post  andyb Tue May 11 2010, 22:18

Welcome to the forum Very Happy
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Tue May 11 2010, 22:39

Keep at it. As you know, when the Cat runnin she's a mighty fine ride! naughty

Welcome to the forum!
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 11 2010, 22:41

Hope to see you out and about at some of the hideous - you been on the pop again????

Welcome to the site Haddy and as Fi says (or i think meant to say?) hope to see you on one of the rideouts - bolt permitting!

Suzie
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Tue May 11 2010, 23:14

Ooops Embarassed I really must try and concentrate when typing... it's getting me into all sorts of trouble affraid slap'ed whistle

Fi girl_witch
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!

Back to top Go down

Post  Toni Wed May 12 2010, 06:59

Welcome aboard great
Toni
Toni
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-09-28

http://www.thundercat-club.de

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Wed May 12 2010, 08:28

Hi & welcome. Good luck getting ya cat sorted out. Paul.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed May 12 2010, 09:00

Hi, greetings from the other end of the M23 - welcome to the site.

Hope the stubborn bolts give in soon. Have you been putting WD40 on the exhaust header bolts? Mine turned out to be angle grinder tight Getting the old T Cat back on the road at last Icon_sad
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5110
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed May 12 2010, 11:21

Hi Haddy

You're right about the black silver and orange ones.............give her a good soaking in WD40 (other brands are available) and good luck.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 12 2010, 19:03

Welcome and good luck with your knuckles .
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Woody Thu May 13 2010, 14:32

Rosco wrote:
You're right about the black silver and orange ones.............give her a good soaking in WD40 (other brands are available) and good luck.

Cheers
Rosco

Does that work on the blue cats as well - or just the black, silver and orange ones.....? ponder
Woody
Woody
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 65
Hobbies : Trying not to fall off
Humour : Yes please
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri Feb 10 2012, 18:30

haddy wrote:
I am not online that regularly so don't be offended if I don't reply to messages straight away, or indeed at all, its probably nothing personal!
Ride safe (not an issue for me yet).
Blyme fella ponder I know you said not that regularly , . . . but thats 3 months short of 2 years Shocked rofl
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  haddy Fri Feb 10 2012, 20:32

You won't believe it but I only ordered the new downpipes last night! I'm shit!!
haddy
haddy

Male Status :

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Fri Feb 10 2012, 20:47

He lives! green smile

Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Fri Feb 10 2012, 21:46

i used some thing called supertrol on there header bolts which is the same as WD40 only i found better
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil

Back to top Go down

Post  stevemcc Sat Feb 11 2012, 00:51

I agree, a good penetrating oil will always work better than WD40. WD40 was designed as a lubricant/water displacement product although because of its thin vescosity works ok as a penetrant. If you buy even a cheap penetrating oil it will way out perform WD40, trust me you wont go back. I speak from decades of restoring classic Minis and never having skin on my knuckles.
stevemcc
stevemcc
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 192
Hobbies : Aviation Engineer
Registration date : 2011-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Sat Feb 11 2012, 09:26

What would you guys recommend for lubing the clutch cable. I have purchased one of those cable oiler gizmo's but unsure as to what oil/ grease to use as its got to get all the way down the cable.
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sat Feb 11 2012, 09:59

Traditionally new engine oil was the norm but I think silicone based spray is specifically for applications like this.

Preparing to get shot down in flames but fairly sure I'm right. Wink
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Sat Feb 11 2012, 10:02

Thanks Ross.

Ending up doing more to the bike than what I intended. All started with the Speedo failing. Lol

Last edited by Manor69 on Sat Feb 11 2012, 11:23; edited 2 times in total
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Sat Feb 11 2012, 11:06

Morning
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sun Feb 12 2012, 11:21

I use silocone spray too. Doesn't attract the muc like oil does.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5110
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down