Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter has arrived...

+3
SteveCat
bobh
sean88
7 posters

Go down

Winter has arrived... Empty Winter has arrived...

Post  sean88 Sat Nov 16 2013, 19:29

Now winter has arrived I'm wondering if anyone takes any specific precautions with their cat? I've read in places the carbs are prone to icing over so wondered if anyone has experienced this? It'll be my first year on a big bike in the winter and I ride daily into the big smoke on congested roads so want to prepare myself properly before it gets icy.

Cheers all
Sean
sean88
sean88
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 26
Hobbies : Accountant, riding my cat, golf.
Humour : Humour??? I'm an accountant!
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Winter has arrived... Empty Re: Winter has arrived...

Post  bobh Sat Nov 16 2013, 23:31

I never bothered with fuel additives myself, but I'm told Silkolene FST works. Alternatively a dose of IPA (isopropyl alcohol, not the brewed variety). I only ever experienced carb icing after a high-ish speed run, e.g. on a slip road coming off a motorway. In slow traffic there's generally enough heat coming off the engine to keep icing at bay.

For me the main thing (apart from staying on the bike when the roads are all greasy, of course) is keeping salt-induced corrosion at bay. Ideally treat all exposed metal, especially fasteners, with ACF50 before winter really sets in, and where possible remove screws and re-fit with a smear of copper grease - this is especially true of the fairing screws, and particularly the ones low down that catch the crud. You can get this winter prep done professionally if you don't fancy doing it yourself.

Rinse the bike off with cold water - ideally after every ride on salty roads, but if you're using it every day, that's probably never going to happen. Let it cool down for a half-an-hour or so first. A squirt of FS365 on corrosion-prone areas straight after rinsing is useful, but it can build up an oily film on the patio/driveway if you overdo it. Running the bike afterwards up to the point where the fan cuts in will help to dry it off.

My MT-03, which I picked up cheap at just over a year old, had been used for commuting into London every day. It had never had any corrosion protection and just one winter had really left its mark - hence the low price tag. Obviously with an older bike like the 'Cat the effect on depreciation is less significant, but you need to bear in mind also that working on a bike with corroded fasteners etc. is a pain, and could end up costing more, so there is definitely a financial incentive to keeping the bike as pristine as possible.

The chain will go rusty after it's been wet, and particularly if there's any salt around. Personally, in the winter, I've found plenty of cheap oil to be as good as anything at keeping the chain lubed, clean and corrosion-free on a bike that's in regular use. But it is a bit messy and builds up crud under the front sprocket cover.

Brakes are another area that can suffer from corrosion, and there's not much you can do in that area in the way of using anti-corrosion stuff. So just make sure you rinse them regularly.

Alternatively, buy a cheap shaftie, something like a Diversion 900:

http://diversionclub.proboards.com/board/11/sale-wanted

Then you can save the 'Cat for summer!
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  sean88 Sun Nov 17 2013, 13:12

Thanks for the response bob. Sounds like I've a few things to purchase before the cold really sets in! So is it advisable to avoid long trips on the cat in the colder months? Not that I have any planned but if the carbs were to ice over during a trip could it prove to be costly? Sorry still have my beginner head on!
sean88
sean88
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Nov 18 2013, 10:23

Sean, carb icing is more annoying than damaging. Happens whilst you are riding, usually but not always after about 20 mins of riding and the throttle has been fairly constant .. e.g. a trip on the motorway.
When it happens you'll feel the bike lurching as if it's running out of fuel. Ice forms around the needle and blocks fuel from the jet. Keeping the revs above 5 000 (I think) will stop the jerking, but will return  as you drop below that. You could stop for about 10 mins and wait for the ice to melt and you should be good to go again.

On the 'Cat it tends to happen from 5degC down to 0, misty/foggy/wet days will more likely bring it on.
I've had it happen from time to time and now I just put in aprox 1% IPA (IsoPropyl Alcohol, 99% purity). I use a jam jar which I estimate holds 160ml, good to treat 16l petrol.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  WGL2013 Tue Nov 19 2013, 14:17

http://www.allyearbiker.co.uk/ look interesting and could be of use....
WGL2013
WGL2013
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Nov 19 2013, 15:16

It is if you are within the 'catchment' area. I tried a block book but the guy was too busy (even to get back to me to tell me sad)
What is of interest for all intending using ACF50 is to follow their guidelines on use - shaking the can and squirting at what looks good might not be a good idea.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Tue Nov 19 2013, 18:41

SteveCat wrote:What is of interest for all intending using ACF50 is to follow their guidelines on use - shaking the can and squirting at what looks good might not be a good idea.
Any chance you can expand your explanation on this Steve. I'm a little confuzzled now. I've done my acf50 and sprayed everything that needs to be protected plus other shiny bits. (Not the brakes though lol)
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 445
Hobbies : xbox black ops 2, Cycling and Motorbikes, Fishing and any other faze I go through lol playing ice hockey now too
Humour : i'm as serious as everyone else :)
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Nov 19 2013, 23:15

I've used the rattle can for a good few years. Last December I decided to use AllYearBiker (AYB) as I am somewhat adverse to cleaning the bike more than I ride it.
I noticed that after the cleaning process, the guy used very little product (ACF50)  - there was some spray from a high pressure gun but a large part of the process was using a rag. I quizzed Jon on what he was doing vs what I've been up to in the past -seems they believe less is more.

The link to their site and explanation, must admit that I've had no issues with overuse other than a mucky bike, but that the way I tend to like them Smileclick me

Come on Stu, you can post your Fuelly sig now, surely ? Smile
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  sean88 Wed Nov 20 2013, 16:25

I've booked a treatment with Jon on the 15th, I figure I'll observe how they apply this and then give it a go myself next year. Plus timing etc for me, mucking around in the cold is not something I fancy at the moment, should have really considered this earlier in the year I think...!
sean88
sean88
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Nov 20 2013, 17:26

Where you going to have it done, Potters Arms in Farnborough?  Dunno why he didn't fancy coming to Croydon Rolling Eyes
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  sean88 Wed Nov 20 2013, 17:33

Yeh, on the 15th Dec. Should only be a 30min ride from me. I considered hosting but don't think the Mrs would be too fond of having the drive full of bikes!! Can't think why!?!? Question
sean88
sean88
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Nov 20 2013, 17:42

Nah, I can't imagine why either!!  I asked Jon 6 weeks ~ 2 months ago - busy time of year for him. Also with the reduced daylight he only does 4 bikes a day. Could have got 6 bikes for him to do, but Croydonia is a fair ole trek from his base.
I'll see if I'm not doing a toy run that day, I may book the 15th too.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  sean88 Wed Nov 20 2013, 17:46

Ok perhaps I'll see you there then! If we get a similar time slot then I'm up for meeting up to ride down.
sean88
sean88
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Nov 21 2013, 09:46

He does all the bikes pretty much together, gets everyone there at the same time and starts in the order in which people arrived - washes them all first and then does the treatment.

Checked the dates and I'm doing the Tadworth Court Toy run on the 14th and am also supposed to do the Ace Cafe toy run on the 15th Igor
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Sun Nov 24 2013, 11:46

Definitely recommend the ACF50 treatment. Had mine done the past 2 years and it's worth it, especially for the peace of mind.

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  sean88 Sun Nov 24 2013, 19:27

Did you use all year biker too?
sean88
sean88
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Sun Nov 24 2013, 21:37

I did indeed. Good service and would recommend.

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sun Nov 24 2013, 22:14

My special preparations for winter are putting it in the garage and hoping I still fit in my leathers by March!
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down