Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotswolds V.2 - 2nd November

+6
stretchie_
stevemcc
Radar
mrfrance
0ldcat
bobh
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cotswolds V.2 - 2nd November - Page 2 Empty Cotswolds V.2 - 2nd November

Post  bobh Fri Sep 06 2013, 15:15

First topic message reminder :

I decided to use what may well have been the last day of proper summer to do a first recce of the reverse route.  And this time Fish Hill was devoid of ****s in overloaded Kia Picanto's clogging up the overtaking lane.

Well, it's not exactly the reverse of last time's route.  In fact a lot of it will be different, but hopefully just a enjoyable.  And this time, as there should be a bit less tourist stuff about, we can go through one or two more picturesque places that I avoided previously.

I'll stick with my proposal to start at Hein Gericke Oxford (actually about 5 miles west of Oxford on the A40, but still reasonably accessible and findable).  But that does involve a fairly long first leg - about 50 miles and 1 1/2 hours - to a decent coffee stop, which is at a farm shop a little to the west of Stow-on-the Wold.  Not the cheapest, but the cake is worth the trip and there is plenty of outdoor seating.

Then we'll go via Chipping Camden and up Fish Hill to Broadway Tower.  That's only about another half-hour's riding, but it will still take us to about 12:30, and I got the impression that most felt it was a good place to stop for lunch, as well as having a good view.

Then the last leg will meander down through Guiting Power and Andoversford and we can get some fuel near Cirencester (where the south-western brigade can peel off if they wish) before a final blast up through Bibury to finish at the same pub by the River Windrush as last time - again, plenty of space to sit outside.

I'll be doing a couple more runs to firm up on the exact route for the bits around Chipping Camden and Guiting Power - when I did it yesterday I used some fairly twiddly roads and there may be better alternatives that need to be checked out.

I just hope the weather is as kind at the end of October as it was two weeks ago.

Last edited by bobh on Sat Oct 12 2013, 21:04; edited 1 time in total
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Cotswolds V.2 - 2nd November - Page 2 Empty Re: Cotswolds V.2 - 2nd November

Post  Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 19:11

'fraid I have to bow out as well Bob, sorry. Hope you all have a good one.

S

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Fri Nov 01 2013, 19:46

Just checked the forecast and it looks like there might be a dry(er) slot during daylight hours, though the wind will be picking up later.

Not done a recce recently (been away for a bit) so no idea if there'll be any fallen trees etc.  But this being the Cotswolds there will almost certainly be mud.  And maybe one or two ex-tabloid-editing sex romp love rats enjoying a final taste of freedom. violet-lol
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sat Nov 02 2013, 12:54

Here I am sitting in a cafe in Swindon, not far from where this rideout is heading. I think the best description I can come up with for the weather I can see outside is 'sheeting rain'.

Hope it went ok! Sorry I couldn't join as I moved house last weekend and have a million things to buy (eg curtains).
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Sat Nov 02 2013, 14:41

Well, it's an ill wind, as they say.

Having waited until after 10 and no-one had turned up, I went and did a bit of the route, which was drying out nicely. When I got to Burford I decided to pop down to Swindon to see if ex-Geo-White's had any cheap bike covers, and guess what? They are having a birthday sale, with stuff both in the main building and a marquee outside. So I ended up with not just a bike cover, but a load of other stuff as well (good job I had the top box on).

Worth popping along if you're in the vicinity. Best bargains (for me) were a 3-pack of neck buffs for a quid and a spare visor for my HJC helmet for £4, but there's lots of other stuff.

Got a bit damp on the way home, but it's cleared up again now.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sat Nov 02 2013, 16:28

Sorry to hear it was a very mini ride out.

Glad to hear your weather wasn't too bad and you got some bargains to boot.

My excuse...had 15 screaming weans at the science centre instead and I'm hundreds of miles away.

Cheers
Rosco

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat Nov 02 2013, 17:14

Sorry it didn't get the weather Bob, keep posting rides and I will try and join one if the weather is ok
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Sat Nov 02 2013, 22:29

No worries.  I needed to get back into the routine of riding bumpy, slimy British roads in "changeable" weather, after two weeks of being spoilt by dry mid-20's in southern France.  Just to make you jealous, this was a mere 5 days ago - you can almost feel the heat coming off the tarmac:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]:
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Thu Nov 07 2013, 22:58

I really miss my Euro rides for months after I get home
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down