Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World's largest Poppy - M25 Ring of Red 10 November 2013

+4
fr3tless
0ldcat
HEHORE
SteveCat
8 posters

Go down

Charity Event World's largest Poppy - M25 Ring of Red 10 November 2013

Post  SteveCat Mon Oct 21 2013, 20:15

Julia Stevenson, one of the organisers of the Royal Wootten Bassett and Ride of Respect mass rides is at it again What a Face 

If you haven't heard of this event, the idea is to form a ring of red (bikers wearing Red) and completing a continuous ring of the M25. As usual Julia dreams up these madcap ideas and then calls for help from my marshalling group ... sooo looks like I'm involved!
Like to be part of this world record? Info is on Facebook and also on BikerFM on the Red and Steve show 7:15pm Monday. I'll post whatever info I have (none yet!).

Any Interest?
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Charity Event Re: World's largest Poppy - M25 Ring of Red 10 November 2013

Post  HEHORE Tue Oct 22 2013, 16:44

Amy chance getting the legion riders involved ?
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Oct 22 2013, 17:24

Involved with managing the event or for them to come along?

If it's for doing the ride, it is open to all and the marketing wheel seems in full swing. Regarding the marshaling, I think the Police (at least the Met and possibly Kent and Surrey) will only 'work' with the USR's - but that's something for the organisers to sort out.
I have been asked if I'd be prepared to get involved with the planning of it, so far have shy'd away.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Tue Oct 22 2013, 20:04

HEHORE wrote:Amy chance getting the legion riders involved ?
It is on the Riders Branch forum. Those that are close enough have indicated their support after they have attended their local RBL Memorial parades.

wink thumb up 
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Oct 24 2013, 17:49

This is taking shape, the logistics is still being ironed out. Problem with something like this is no one has any idea of how many people will be coming along, so guess there will be some thinking on our feet on the day.

Any Southern 'Cats (or indeed from anywhere in the country) interested in meeting up and riding together? Hilts will be co-managing the Thurrock meeting point and I'll be co-managing the Clacket Lane Services meeting - so we have two Thundercats already Wink Would be good if some others can join us, unfortunately we won't be able to ride with you unless we are designated Tail End Charlies', but it would be good to meet up.

There are updates on BikerFM on Monday nights from around 7:15.

This is the Press Release

Julia Stevenson wrote:WORLD’S BIGGEST POPPY ON TWO WHEELS!

A call is going out to motorcyclists all over the country to help create what is believed to be the world’s largest poppy. It is planned for motorcyclists to come together on Sunday 10th November to ring the 117 miles of the M25 in Red.
Calls are going out to motorcycle clubs, groups and enthusiasts to be on the M25 by 12:30. They are asked to wear a red T-Shirt and a poppy. It is intended that all the bikers will converge onto the M25 from the 36 slip roads and services area, all to be on the M25 at 12:30 and when the front of each group has caught up with the tail of the previous group the ring will be complete. We are also going to try and get Google to take a satellite picture of this spectacular event.

The time has deliberately been set to allow those who also wish to show their respects at 11am and observe the 2 minutes to do so.

Julia Stevenson, who is co-ordinating the event said: “There has always been an affinity between the biking community and the armed forces. Perhaps this stems back to when dispatch riders were used to carry vital messages to and from the front lines. This is an opportunity for the biking community to offer a mark of respect to those who have fallen defending our freedoms and liberty”

She added: ”If we can get enough bikers to join in, and we have estimated we need about fifteen thousand bikes or more, we can complete the ring very quickly and keep disruption to a minimum. We will also be making sure there is sufficient space between bikes to allow other vehicles to use the M25 unhindered.
I would also like to stress that this isn’t a protest or any kind of political statement, we are quite simply coming together to say “Thank You” to those who have given their lives in the service of their country and, in doing so, give us the freedom to do this”.

For further information contact: Julia Stevenson on 07811 091 275
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  fr3tless Wed Oct 30 2013, 21:23

I probably won't be able to make it due to having very little money... but I have passed the details on to my friend who's sharing it on the VTR Firestorm forum Smile
fr3tless
fr3tless
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  SLIM Wed Nov 06 2013, 21:18

I will be joining the m25 from the m11 junction , meeting up with some work mates at 11am at Birchanger services on M11 . So thats one more thundercat on the road. I'll be the one with the red top on .....lol.
SLIM
SLIM
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 70
Hobbies : Tig Welder/ Bikes , family, Marine Reef-fish keeping
Humour : yes
Registration date : 2013-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Nov 06 2013, 23:35

SLIM wrote: I'll be the one with the red top on .....lol.
You'll be easy to spot then Laughing Hopefully you'll be briefed before you leave. Essentially you'll leave to get onto the M25 for around 12 o'clock, you should be ahead of the group leaving from Cobham. The riders should be aware that an Unity Support Rider (USR - no red top, orange tabard with a number either on the front on shoulders-if you can see that in the mirrors Very Happy ) will overtake you all - he is a marker and will meet up with the USR Tail End Charlie from South Mimms. Once the 4 markers have joined up, we know we have completed the Ring of Red.

I've just got back from a meeting discussing the strategy. I had the 'pleasure' of the event organiser, Julia Stevenson, sitting next to me but I did feel most of the night it more a case she was sitting on top of me What a Face 'spose she thought the people at the end of the table couldn't hear her!! She did buy the coffee's though wink thumb up 

You can do the whole of the M25 if you like, we are telling the riders at the 4 'official' M25 meets we will do 2 services, in other words for you that would be Thurrock.

Enjoy the ride
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Thu Nov 07 2013, 12:50

Can't make it , can't get the day off work
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Nov 07 2013, 14:39

Would it help if I ordered a Pizza and got you to deliver it? Wink
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Thu Nov 07 2013, 22:56

Great idea, but it is too far me to travel. Hope it goes well

Last edited by Radar on Fri Nov 08 2013, 19:23; edited 1 time in total
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Thu Nov 07 2013, 23:54

SteveCat wrote: Would it help if I ordered a Pizza and got you to deliver it? Wink
I wish bud , but no longer on the pizza bike now I'm management , but cheers for the thought
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 10 2013, 07:31

Good luck and well done to everyone involved - hope it all goes well

Respect.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sun Nov 10 2013, 08:31

Thanks, and so do I.

Heading off soon to set up  Clacket's, getting the bikes parked up and counted, riders briefed, released onto the M25 and then riding around with them and sorting out any issues.
I have no idea if we'll be dealing with 200 or 2 000 at this service area. What a Face Just as well as there is more than just Plan A Wink 

If anyone would like to follow the traffic situation click me
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sun Nov 10 2013, 10:02

good luck to all taking part wish i could be there but other things got in the way
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil

Back to top Go down

Post  SLIM Sun Nov 10 2013, 16:20

I have just got home after doing my ride out from braintree to Birchanger service station meeting point then down the M11 and onto the M25 to join the line of red. I did the whole lap of the M25 stopping off for a cuppa at Cobham services then carried on to complete my lap before heading back up the M11 to home. Done about 200 miles today on the Thundercat and she behaved perfectly, really enjoyed riding the cat and taking part in this event.
SLIM
SLIM
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Mon Nov 11 2013, 16:43

Shame we missed you Slim, we went from Clacketts to South Mimms ...Glad you enjoyed it!

Paul
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Nov 11 2013, 17:13

Glad you enjoyed it Slim and sorry we didn't see you.

I think overall people enjoyed themselves; possibly only the Support Riders were grumpy about it, but we did what we had to - get everyone onto the M25 on time, in a orderly fashion and to make sure there were no incidents.
The turnout was lower than expected (don't believe what you read online), but quite frankly Clacket's was at capacity. The truck drivers were quite OK about us invading their parking area. Mr France was co-opted into help count the bikes - thanks Paul. I think a lot more came in after our count - I reckon it was 400~450 ish.

I stuck the ride logo on two signboards and forgot to take them down, so it's yet another trip there to get them - I think I'm overdoing the M25 Smile

I hope your mate is OK Paul after I managed to squirt him with the gas from the air horn. The chap at Cobham had the same horn and he wasn't quite so lucky getting the stuff on his hands and he said it stung.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SLIM Mon Nov 11 2013, 17:56

Yes i think turnout was less than they hoped for but glad the event went well with no major problems. Was a disappointing turnout at Birchanger , less than 100 bikes but there seemed to be plenty on the M25 when we merged into the group on there when coming on from the M11 but as the line stretched out the gaps were huge. Did not see any support riders on the road but found four sitting in starbucks at cobham when i stopped for a hot drink.. maybe if it gets repeated next year it will get a better turn out.
SLIM
SLIM
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Nov 11 2013, 18:03

The Support guys you saw at Cobham would have come from Thurrock- a Thundercat led that ride (Hilts) Wink

Well during our debrief last night we pretty much unanimously said never again, but you know what it's like give a few weeks and we'll forget the problems.
My thing with these sorts of thing is the first one is usually the best supported and people lose interest. Many Londoner's will refuse to do something like this, we know just how bad the M25 is.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SLIM Mon Nov 11 2013, 18:37

I would like to say thank you to all the support team that worked on this event , everyone i spoke to was happy with the way it went . It was a bit chilly but at least it was dry. great 
SLIM
SLIM
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 11 2013, 20:53

SteveCat wrote:Well during our debrief last night we pretty much unanimously said never again, but you know what it's like give a few weeks and we'll forget the problems.
I think organising and taking part in something as mega as this is quite awesome especially as it was the first one and given the numerous things which could have gone wrong - what sort of problems did you encounter?

S
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Nov 12 2013, 09:10

Mainly the usual problem of people not listening and wanting to do their own thing.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 13 2013, 09:57

Tish! Bikers - who'd have 'em wall