Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black...

+6
Roll The Bones
MrNutt
Rosco
Snowcat
greencat
'Cat-Man-Do
10 posters

Go down

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Empty Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black...

Post  'Cat-Man-Do Thu Mar 14 2013, 02:56

Ok, so despite riding my bike in all weather throughout the winter to and from work everyday i have managed to make a few changes and add a few bits here and there, thought I would share some updated pics Smile

Christmas present off the missus "Nathan King" Wink

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Reg_pl10

Heres the "Cat cave" I built back in October/November

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Catcav10

Next I got around to painting the tacky (and by now very weather worn) carbon fibre effect mirrors as a temporary fix

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... 56383410

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... 48348810

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... 52654310

With the onset of Winter up North and all the cold weather I invested in some R & G heated grips and fitted them myself with a relay to avoid battery drainage

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... 11335_10

Mishap 1. - Ok, now this is the part where I receive an influx of advice from the wiser of you, telling me it's a bad idea to mount the control panel so close to the bike controls...well I soon learned that the hard way - try hitting your killswitch whilst in the fast lane on the Mway trying to turn down the heat on your grips... I ended updoing 70-0mph in a matter of seconds, rolling to a halt in the centre lane (having not made it to the hard shoulder), with an articulated lorry screeching to a halt in my rear view mirrors sounding its horn and breathing down my neck (at this point im still clueless as to why the sudden loss of power) - i managed to shuffle onto the hard shoulder needing a change of underwear and soon realising my c**k up!

You live and learn!

Mishap 2. - those of you who read my intro post back in August/September may remember me mentioning that I had installed an alarm with remote start. At the minute the remote start will only work with the key in the ignition turned to 'on' - pretty pointless but apparently if i call the manufacturer there is a way to solve this just not got round to it. Anyways one day I was demonstrating to the other half how it wont work without the key... hang on a minute did someone say I had forgotten that Id left the bike in gear due to the slope I was parked on? Yep, queue a frantic gallop as the bike lurches forward in 1st gear and topples over :( result below...

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Tank_d10

Also dropped my helmet in the process as I attempted to save my baby fuming

So now I needed to repair my tank - here is where the transformation really begins...
Instead of a paintjob I ended up going to pentagon auto tints in Heywood, Manchester (Snowcat's neck of the woods Wink) and enquiring about carbon-wrapping (I have seen lots of cars done in this way but only a handful of bikes)
Below is a selection of photos showing a satin-black and carbon fibre-wrapped Thundercat both before and after adding Yamaha decals...

Enjoy and please let me know your thoughts (some of you will notice the red rim tape has gone Smile)

At the bodyshop
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... 48241510
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... 52258210

Back at friend's garage in Middleton
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... 55674010

Up close
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... 62749_10

Adding Decals
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... 23382_10
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... 69222_10
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... 52518510
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... 31342910

On the pic below you may be able to see the rusty rear brake lever...
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... 60219610

Before and after shots...
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Bike_s10
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Carbon10

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Up_clo10
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Photo_10

In this last one you can see my new mirrors fitted and also brake lever replaced...
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Done10
Im thinkin of maybe adding some R6 style decals up the side of the tank and fairing...

So that's it! Let me know what you guys think, I have the full set of Thundercat decals waiting to go on but Im still not sure whether to put them all back on (the 'aero supersport' is already in the bin...)
I apologise for some of the poor quality pics

Nathan.
'Cat-Man-Do
'Cat-Man-Do
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Empty Re: Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black...

Post  greencat Thu Mar 14 2013, 09:03

Well that's brightened up my day! rofl2

Sorry, but you've got to laugh at the mishaps. You aren't on your own though; there are many on this site who could tell similar tales.

I love the new colour scheme, although I am biased. It's similar to my bike. Wrapping the bike in vinyl has been done by others before, but I still can't get over how completely it transforms the bike and how well it looks. You must be pretty happy? Keep it simple. I like the clear indicators and the screen goes well too. Be good to see it for real sometime.

Ride safe and enjoy the envious looks.

Chris

greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Empty Re: Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black...

Post  Snowcat Thu Mar 14 2013, 09:16

Agree with Chris here, less is more, I'm all for the minimalist look, bikes don't need stickers and bits to look good, the carbon and lack marry really well, job well done you must be well chuffed with the result.

As for the mishaps, if it was all so easy there'd be nothing to talk about.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu Mar 14 2013, 13:37

Crikey - Very scary Mishap #1 and very unfortunate mishap #2.

I really like the finished article.

Looking good

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Thu Mar 14 2013, 17:05

ditto on the scariness! I would have needed new trousers to!

I really like the new wrap on the cat - the batcat!

dave
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Roll The Bones Thu Mar 14 2013, 17:51

Well done, a great deal of time & effort shown in the pics.. Maybe a nice new can to finish of the mean look. great I keep thinking of getting a new one but which??
Roll The Bones
Roll The Bones
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  'Cat-Man-Do Fri Mar 15 2013, 01:05

I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty scary!

Yeah I would love a new can but the missus is keeping a close eye on my spending Wink we have a wedding to pay for so I try to do things bit by bit and hope she doesn't always notice haha

"BatCat"....I like it!
Still got a few more changes in the pipeline...
'Cat-Man-Do
'Cat-Man-Do
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Fri Mar 15 2013, 08:07

Looks very nice mate! I wrapped my old cat in black vinyl although it didn't look near as sharp as that! I think i'll leave it to the pro's next time.

Job well done!
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Fri Mar 15 2013, 23:53

I have to ask , why did you bike jump forward , there should be a saftey switch on your side stand to stop it from starting ( if you were sat on the bike then you probably lifted the stand ) anyway it looks amazing I thought of the same thing a few months ago after seeing pics of Mr Frances bike but could never afford the wrap
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Fri Mar 15 2013, 23:57

I got a mean looking carbon super stuby can that looks mean if you decide you want one , look at my new exhaust post
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Sun Mar 17 2013, 00:52

Fair play, it looks really good!
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : Stone. Sell it..Love it...
Humour : Dry /sarcstic..
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  'Cat-Man-Do Thu Mar 21 2013, 23:42

HEHORE wrote:I have to ask , why did you bike jump forward , there should be a saftey switch on your side stand to stop it from starting ( if you were sat on the bike then you probably lifted the stand ) anyway it looks amazing I thought of the same thing a few months ago after seeing pics of Mr Frances bike but could never afford the wrap

TBH I can't actually remember if the bike would start when left in gear before I fitted my alarm/remote start?? But since fitting it, it will start with the stand down but cuts out when dropped into 1st.

This week I've changed standard rear indicators to LEDs, fitted blue pro bolts to the tank fuel cap and today I have added R1 style decals to the right side only, wasn't sure if it would look right so I'm giving it a trial Very Happy , what does everyone think??

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Image15

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Image16

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Image17

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Image18

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Image19

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Image21
'Cat-Man-Do
'Cat-Man-Do
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Thu Mar 21 2013, 23:58

Looking good , I like the r6 decals , they are very similar yo the late 02-03 cat decals anyways
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Empty Updates

Post  'Cat-Man-Do Mon Apr 08 2013, 23:16

Been busy in the shed and made a few more changes here and there...

Oil filler cap...

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Img_2224

Trimmed down the rear fender...

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Img_2225

Added a few decals, didnt like the R1 decal so kept it off...

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Img_2226

LED gear indicator...

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Img_2227

Installed my Moman indiglo dials today...

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Img_2312
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Img_2313
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Img_2315

Also dropped a tooth on the front sprocket...
Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Img_2314

Thats it for now...
If I had the time and could afford it I would definitely get the frame and swingarm powdercoated in satin black! deal
Ive also seen coloured chains and wondering whether a blue chain would look nice...certainly different Don\'t Know

Carbon fibre costume change - from red to black... Img_0110
'Cat-Man-Do
'Cat-Man-Do
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Tue Apr 09 2013, 02:52

Looks really good , only thing I gotta say is as it stands it will fail an mot . No reflector on the rear , my advice is buy a small stick on circular one and put it on the corner of the number plate
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rampers Tue Apr 09 2013, 11:39

Oh how I hate you...........(not really) it looks really good fella keep on with the good work
Rampers
Rampers
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 243
Hobbies : In a dead end job, riding ,rugby and being family man
Humour : Last in the que
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  'Cat-Man-Do Tue Apr 09 2013, 22:53

I had it MOT'd a fortnight ago and it wasn't raised as an issue, I don't think many garages are too bothered about enforcing the new reflector rule. The only thing that would concern me as it stands is the lack of KPH on the dials as Weasley mentioned...but as its just been MOT'd I don't have to worry about that for a while Laughing

As I use my Cat daily for work anything I do pretty much has to be done in under a day or two when im off so I can rebuild it ready for work the next day! If I ever get a bit of time booked off and have some spare cash I would like to spray the wheels, swingarm and frame...I wouldn't mind giving it a reet good deep clean and detailing with all it's clothes off too...would also let me have a good inspection of of the bike's harder to reach parts...

green smile
'Cat-Man-Do
'Cat-Man-Do
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down