Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1/1/2013 ist ride

+10
SteveCat
ellie
mikeyzf600
MrNutt
stevemcc
Snowcat
alyr1481
HEHORE
owen.dyer146
thunderstu600
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

shock 1/1/2013 ist ride

Post  thunderstu600 Thu Jan 03 2013, 22:12

I feel really bad

As you know I've been on this forum for just under a month but have had my bike for 6 weeks. I haven't been able to do the DAS course just yet as xmas was approaching and now gone.
I want to get on my bike ASAP and cannot wait any longer, it feels like i'm in the 'celeb' jungle with cockroaches all over me. Thats how bad im itching.

As I have nowhere dry to store her shes sat outside in all the cold wet weather and her heart had stopped, so on the 1st Jan (the driest and warmest day so far) I pushed her to the front of my house where my outside plug is and charged her up for a few hours. Once charged i rolled her back to the side of the house and noticed my rear brake felt like its sticking. There's only one way I know to get rid of sticking brakes and that's to use them.
I sat on my bike wishing i was on the road and wanted to free the brakes, i know i shouldnt do this but i took her down street and applied the rear brake to free the disk and pads. I then put her back into position with freed brakes.
The bug bit more so i took her out again, this time to the nearest roundabout and back. This was absolutely amazing, I had the biggest smile on my face, she rode awesomely she was very comfortable and it was nice to hear her singing. Everything you say about the cat is true, I didnt stop talking about the bike for the rest of the day.
I obviously regret taking her out afterwards and still do, please slag me out and criticise me all you want, ill totally agree with you, I shouldn't have done it. It was a stupid, non thought out idea and i let my feelings take over and never used my head. I promise this will never happen again until i get my licence.

I am now pushing for this and purchased all the theory test disks etc. that evening and now im just waiting to receive them in the post.
I've been watching MOD 1 on utube so i know what to expect and also reading all the tips on here.
Im bidding on boots on fleebay as i need these for the tests and for the future so may as well be pepared.

Today I went to my local Motorcycle school today for a quote of what the DAS is gonna cost. I've been quoted £750 for a 4 day course.

Admittedly they take care of everything, bike hire, insurance, CBT, lessons, booking of tests and travelling to and from mod 1 and 2. But I feel this is a lot of money considering that 2 years ago i was quoted £550.

Does anyone know what the DAS involves to equate to this amount of money and is it possible to make it cheaper for myself. This quote is for a 4 day course, is this necessary as i have previous riding experience.

I'm thinking of booking and completing the CBT and speaking the instructor to see if he thinks ill pass the Mod 1, then book all day lesson for mod 2 then fingers x i pass.

What do you guys think?

I really want to get on the bike asap but i also want to pass first time so any guidance is appreciated, also my apologies to everyone for not thinking straight,
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 445
Hobbies : xbox black ops 2, Cycling and Motorbikes, Fishing and any other faze I go through lol playing ice hockey now too
Humour : i'm as serious as everyone else :)
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

shock Re: 1/1/2013 ist ride

Post  owen.dyer146 Thu Jan 03 2013, 22:19

I was guilty of that when i first had my cat . Never beat that fealing of the first ride however short it was . It cost me a total between theroy and mod 1+2 and lessons 370 but id been on bikes when i was young so had the basics.
owen.dyer146
owen.dyer146
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 185
Hobbies : workshop maniger mazda main dealer
Registration date : 2012-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Thu Jan 03 2013, 22:36

The feeling of that 5 minute ride was sensational.

I rode her sensibly and found out what she went like, as in how she handles, brakes and altogether how easy she was to control. my worries are over as to whether i bought a lemon but she is a dream come true,

I'm a really fast learner and took to riding a 125 like a duck to water and by the time I got back to my house on the cat I felt comfortable.
In total ive had about 6 bikes in 6 years, 2 of them 125's so i have the basic bike experience, hopefully ill have 2 lessons and pass everything first go and be able to take her for a proper ride.

My 'school' uses a suzuki 650 and look a lot lighter and less bulky as the cat so i shouldnt have a problem riding them. I just got to hold back and say no to the cat for a few more weeks
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Hobbies : xbox black ops 2, Cycling and Motorbikes, Fishing and any other faze I go through lol playing ice hockey now too

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Thu Jan 03 2013, 23:32

The thing with the 4 days is it is really only 2/3 , first day is training for mod 1 , day to is test for mod 1 ,and a few hours training , day 3 is A full 6 hours max of training to get rid of all your bad road habits that you've picked up , and day 4 is test day , that £750 includes both test which are about £70 each plus all fuel,insurance, bike hire, clothing , and the instructors time , think it's quote a fair price , especially as they have had to pay out to learn the new tests so they can be able to teach people to pass
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Fri Jan 04 2013, 02:03

Thanks for the feedback 'Hehore',

I also know the price includes CBT day, all tests, travelling expenses and of course their time as it is there job and they need to get paid, so when you put it like that it sounds ok.
Just got to get the money for it and put my priorities in order

Theory
order my boots
book DAS

Stop my boy getting everything he wants lol and I should be ready and on the road by mid Feb.

thanks stu

thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  alyr1481 Fri Jan 04 2013, 03:28

I did my bike test in august and i spent about £600 (test fees included). I had 4 full days (8AM-4PM) training then 3 days after did my Mod 1 (which costs £15) and then a week and 1 day later did my mod 2 (which costs around £70). I had been riding a 125 for a year before that.

£750 sounds a little steep as i said i spent £600 and the bike i did it on had 66 miles on it when i started and all the instructors were very nice (all ex policemen). Have you looked around a bit further away from were you live. One of the guys i live with is doing his at the moment and hes going to a school about 10 miles further than the closest one just because it was that much cheaper, maybe worth looking into.

I dont blame you at all for taking your cat for a little blast, i would have done the same, im also glad you like the bike. Personally it has done everything I've ever asked of it and i know im not even cose to its limits!!

Alex
alyr1481
alyr1481
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 53
Hobbies : Uni Student/ IOM TT Lover and Hopefully One Day Racer
Humour : Plenty
Registration date : 2012-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Fri Jan 04 2013, 09:35

The problem with trying to push the instructor into a corner is they won't want to commit to an answer plus it's their business and they are there to make a living. They could say you're ready, give you your full day tuition and put you in for a test they know you won't pass and then be there to take more money from you afterwards, plus the cost of a retest, the money will soon rack up.

When I did my DAS I had a bike in the garage itching to be ridden but persevered, not with fast track and it was difficult, they kept saying 1 more lesson when I felt I was ready but in hindsight they were right, they know what to look for and know when you're ready. I don't think that £750 is a lot for the fast track with everything included, I probably didn't spend much less by the time you filter in test costs plus the bike hire and all the kit.

You need to decide what you can afford and how desperate you are to get on 2 wheels, you're not under pressure to get the test done by 19th Jan so take your time and get it right first time, there's little point in throwing good money after bad if you're not prepared.

The incentive is the bike you have waiting for you when you get home from your test.

Good luck with your decision and your tests Smile

Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  stevemcc Sat Jan 05 2013, 17:50

A year ago I paid £550 for the 4 day course, I would expect to pay no more than £650 now taking into account the rise in costs incurred by them.
I would recommend the intensive 4 day course to anyone, it teaches you plenty of road skills as well as teaching you to pass the test. My instructor was full of useful little tips which made the tests easier.

It was not in my instuctors interest to put anyone fwd too early if he thought you were not ready to pass your test, 4 days he reckoned was pretty spot on with the test on the 4th day MOD1 in the morning, MOD2 in the afternoon. The reason being he was booked solid for week long courses every week for months, weekends were normally taken up by teaching kids doing their CBT. So if you failed he would then have to find the time somewhere for more leasons and retests. In his words "It screws up my 1 day off a week"
stevemcc
stevemcc
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 192
Hobbies : Aviation Engineer
Registration date : 2011-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Sat Jan 05 2013, 20:31

Cost wise in 2008 when I did my 4day training it cost £320 all in including theory test , just shows how much things are changing
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Sat Jan 05 2013, 22:56

Got my Theory DVD's in this mornings post, woop woop, Gonna do a few days studying before i book theory test, Once ive passed, (hopefully) i'll book my DAS.
Ive booked a week off mid Feb so will try and book it for then.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

If and when i pass i'll see if I can get a few days off and join you for Bishops Castle. I may have to get in a few days at my local track for some practice, i dont want to be the slowest lol
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Sat Jan 05 2013, 23:23

good luck with the tests, I am sure you'll ace them, no need to practice, on the rideouts everyone rides their own pace, no one races and no one pushes people to go faster. BC is a great rideout hopefully you can get a few days off for it Thumb
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Sun Jan 06 2013, 17:37

My bike was also sitting in the garage during my DAS. However I persevered. I weighed it up and thought I can wait a bit longer and do it legally as opposed to getting caught and getting a ban and having to wait even longer.

The price seems pretty reasonable. Perhaps do the CBT and they will be able to decide what sort of level you are at and may say that you only need 2 days?

Best of luck with the tests. They aren't too bad, just keep your nerve and think of the examiner as a sat nav.

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sun Jan 06 2013, 17:57

Yeah Mod 2, just imagine it as another lesson just with a different instructor.... Oh and if you see a stop sign make sure you stop completely!!

I had a quick ride round before my mod 2 and I didn't stop completely, my instructor gave me a right ear full, 10 minutes later I went down exactly the same road on my test, my instructors words still ringing in my ears.. And boy did I stop dead that time!! Wink
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Sun Jan 06 2013, 18:12

Hi Mikey, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the positives
but I felt i had to run the Cat the first time, as I said earlier she's out in all weathers as there's no room in the shed and cant turn around my garden, its too small, i can just about fit the bike down the side of the house, its that tight. the rear wheel was sticking and i didnt plan on going further than the end of my street. I know the police wouldn't except that excuse buti plan on not doing it again.

As with regards to the CBT that's what I've decided to do, I've got my theory disks now so im going to book that asap and as soon as i get confirmation of a pass i'll book my CBT.
At the end of the CBT the instructor gives feedback anyway and ill ask him how many days he thinks ill need. I wont badger him lol but ill book the DAS staright away with him.
Hopefully within about 5 weeks, which will be my next week off ill be set for the road.
As for the sat nav, I just hope hes not as annoying, sat navs do my head in lol, turn right at 100yrds, TURN RIGHT lol, or is that just mine lol

Snowcat, I'll definitely take that on board thanks.

Thanks everyone

P.s, does anyone know why I have -1 kudos?
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Sun Jan 06 2013, 18:54

Do you have a cover for the bike? Also, it's surprising how little space you need to turn the bike. You should do a search for it on YouTube. There's a technique (and it works) for turning the bike round on its stand. Can do a full 180 in a very small space.

If you have an iPhone, there's a very decent theory app both for the test and the Hazard Perception.

They can be even worse! In my test I was heading towards around about when I heard "Go right on the roundabout." I started indicating and was about to leave at my junction when I heard "RIGHT AROUND, RIGHT AROUND." Luckily I had time to carry on around the roundabout without causing a dangerous situation. He then asked me to pull over to check his mic was working. Laughing

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Sun Jan 06 2013, 21:02

Im getting the cover this week, I know, i should have done it already but money has been exceptionally tight :(

I'm going to use my b'day money (yes i still get money, lol) to get insurance. The bike itself is equipped with a solalarm, its the biz, iVe bought a ground anchor plus an extra heavy duty chain and lock from squire. I've also got a baseball bat that everyone in my street knows i'll use so it should be safe at the side of my house

I've got to get so much in one go i.e DAS Theory, boots, insurance, tax and mot I just dont know where to start. At least if i get insurance first, the bike will be covered from any unsuspecting scum. But then if i leave tax n mot till last my insurance will be void, I may have to see the pops in law for a loan lol
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Sun Jan 06 2013, 21:15

Yeh it's an expensive hobby to get off the ground but once you're up and running its not too bad. You could do tax for 6 months which is around £30 which might lessen the sting a bit. I found some decent boots on eBay for not too much which have lasted brilliantly and are fully waterproof.

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Sun Jan 06 2013, 21:32

Ive also got a bike cover, came with it, if thats what you were on about too. I'll have a look on you tube for that turning on the stand and see where i got with it, hopefully still upright.

Although, i do like the bike at the side of the house as this stops the wife nagging me about her father coming in the house the back way.

I've looked at boots, suits 1 piece 2 piece, helmets, gloves, tyres front and back, heated grips the lot lol. I get carried away with ebay, its almost as addictive as this forum lol.

Ive got boots in my watch list but dont know whether to go for all black or red and black, they both got 2 days left on them so will watch and bid, so insurance and boots this week, theory soon and test soon after, MOT and tax straight after. I'll price it all up and see bank of dad lol (pops in law)

cheers

stu

thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sun Jan 06 2013, 22:24

Stu, it would be great to see you at Bishops Castle, It's a great ride out & suits all abilities, the rideouts are always tailored to the least experienced riders and some of us have taken part when only recently passed our tests. .

It's so worth joining the rideouts for the social aspect also, laugh a minute, good food, good beer & great company.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Sun Jan 06 2013, 22:29

My mate has a silver and orange cat and is hopefully coming although a bit shy lol hes a great laugh. we'll have to beg his misses for him to go. Ive just told mine im going, as long as i got my licence etc, we get our bonus around that time so a bit of shopping therapy from my wallet might help too
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Jan 07 2013, 09:25

thunderstu600 wrote:P.s, does anyone know why I have -1 kudos?

Most likely a key click oopsie by someone ... the + and - are very close to the text... I've given you a Kudo for your post so you back to 0 Cool

- Found it, was your Insurance posting, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - maybe someone pressed '-' in support of your £9k+ quote.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Mon Jan 07 2013, 14:12

thanks Steve your a legend.

Ellie, im gonna try my best for Bishops castle, Cant make wee mac tho as ive said to Dave (Mr Nutt) i cant get time off for it but ive already told the wifey BC is on the agenda and im going lol
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Mon Jan 07 2013, 18:00

ellie wrote:. . . . and some , have taken part when only recently passed , tests. .
Yeah, Littlecat . . . passed on Friday, warm up ride out on Sunday . . . Nottingham to Bishops Castle the next Friday for the weekends BC fun. And all power to her elbow for doing so too Thumb
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Jan 07 2013, 19:13

Too right Tel and I'd ridden less than 2000 miles on my first BC.

And we're just girlies so go for it Stu!

ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Tue Jan 08 2013, 10:31

Echo Steve & Ellie, they do cater for any and all experience, I'd passed in the November then tootled about in varying conditions of crap weather before venturing to BC last year and I've got to say all the peeps on this forum and on that ride out we're brilliant. They have patience and always look after the noobs and there was a few of us last year. You get tips and pointers from them, you're never pushed but the experience of riding in a group like that will do wonders for your own riding and your confidence.

By the afternoon I felt I'd noticeably improved as a rider and others did comment on this following the ride out.

I'll be defo joining some rideouts this year, I'm just gutted I won't be able to make this one (I don't think) but never say never Wink
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next