Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starter Clutch Crankcase Cover marks & Gouges

4 posters

Go down

Starter Clutch Crankcase Cover marks & Gouges Empty Starter Clutch Crankcase Cover marks & Gouges

Post  Snowcat Sun Aug 19 2012, 12:44

As I've now decided to keep the mistress a bit longer I'm embarking on some tidying and modifications. One bit of tidying is the crankcase cover (starter clutch), it has some scratches and gouges from when the previous owner dropped it and whilst functional, cosmetically it p*sses me off. I'm planning to remove it, clean it, repair, respray and replace it but unsure how to go about the repair. I've seen a similar repair undertaken (I think on here) with pictures and instructions but can't find it for the life of me.

Can anyone help with the best way to go about it and what fillers etc to use to get the best result.

The alternative would be one of them cover sets but this would just mask the problem and I'd still know it was there.

Thanks all Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Starter Clutch Crankcase Cover marks & Gouges Empty Re: Starter Clutch Crankcase Cover marks & Gouges

Post  mikeyzf600 Sun Aug 19 2012, 21:38

Have you got any pictures of the extent of the damage?

I'd personally take it off, clean it, get some metal filler, fill it, sand it down, get some decent spray paint and spray it?

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Starter Clutch Crankcase Cover marks & Gouges Empty Re: Starter Clutch Crankcase Cover marks & Gouges

Post  Snowcat Sun Aug 19 2012, 22:42

mikeyzf600 wrote:I'd personally take it off, clean it, get some metal filler, fill it, sand it down, get some decent spray paint and spray it?
That's the plan Mike, just wondering if anyone can recommend a good metal filler?
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Sun Aug 19 2012, 22:45

I can't personally recommend any but I think I've seen a few kicking around Halfords. Depends how much you want to spend.

Maybe something like This

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Sun Aug 19 2012, 22:50

That's stuffs not bad , got my old bike its mot with and exhaust like a sieve, but did fall off after and hours riding due to heat
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  westy_boy Tue Aug 21 2012, 14:42

I did the exact same thing and used JB Weld. This stuff is rock hard and very heat resistant. I first filed the gouges to remove any raised material, I then lay JB Weld over the grooves, and put insulation tape over the top. Once dry the insulation tape peels straight off and leaves a semi flat surface to start smoothing (using a combination of needle files and differing grades of wet'n'dry paper).

I finished it off with Simoniz silver engine paint.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIMONIZ-MOTORCYCLE-PAINT-SILVER-ALUMINIUM-ENGINE-CASE-PAINT-HIGH-TEMPERATURE-/350503578045?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item519ba429bd

I actually did this by remove the side fairing, but not actually taking the cover off. The damage was only on the face of the cover, so masked everything else off. Because the only bit you see is the bit that pokes through the hole in the fairing, you cannot even tell it has been painted, and even a slight difference in shades of silver is not obvious since it is broken up from the rest of the casing by the fairing.
westy_boy
westy_boy
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 13
Hobbies : IT Consultant
Registration date : 2012-06-01

Back to top Go down