Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh the work never stops!

3 posters

Go down

Oh the work never stops! Empty Oh the work never stops!

Post  mrfrance Sat Aug 04 2012, 16:10

Hi Guys,

Just finished working on the cat today, had to overhaul front callipers (new seals & pads) as been riding with only a back brake for couple of weeks Shocked

Finally got around to changing the oil sump as well, a simple job but when your not a mechanic these things can take you a very long time! (callipers to me 6 hours) even managed to upset the missus cuz I took so long Evil or Very Mad

Anyhow I took her out for a quick blast today (the cat green smile ) and noticed something not quite right. I pulled to front of traffic at lights so was ready to pull away quickly but when I opened up the throttle there was a bit of a delay with the acceleration and power delivery. I would say about half a second until anything happened, now that isn't normal. Or have just outgrown the cat if you know what I mean? (outgrowing the missus too Laughing ...I am joking) ...Does anyone know what the cause might be, if there is one?

Regards

Paul
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Oh the work never stops! Empty Re: Oh the work never stops!

Post  past-it Sat Aug 04 2012, 18:10

Drain the fuel out of the float chambers first, but it sounds like the carbs need setting up.
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Sat Aug 04 2012, 18:29

Thanks Past-it

I balanced them about 3 months ago but now you mention it after I put the exhaust system back together and fired her up the breathing had changed its pattern, when I revved it, it went back to its normal pattern for a split second then back to what it is now.

...Spose I could give it a go. Any tips for this with the fuel tank? As I recall it was a pain in the bum balancing it around but I had a helper, this time I will be going it alone.

Paul
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  past-it Sat Aug 04 2012, 18:41

Bike-it do a auxiliary fuel tank, got so fed up with playing around with the tank, and the dangers of a fuel spillage I got one. Makes the job so much eaiser that I do the carbs at every 3 or 4 oil changes.
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue Aug 07 2012, 10:55

Yeah, I've got one, it's a god send, got mine from the fella on the Blackbird site

http://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/special.htm#tank

About 2/3's down
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down