Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Servicing question

4 posters

Go down

Servicing question Empty Servicing question

Post  westy Wed Apr 04 2012, 12:49

Hi everyone,

Just about to pick my cat up from the vet after the MOT (needed new downpipes, battery & plugs) and I was wondering about servicing myself and saving a few quid in the process.

Have given the Haynes manual a good going over and the basic service seems to be nothing i can't do myself... apart from the carb balance as I don't have any vacuum gauges (yet) and was wondering if its worth skipping a (shop) service and doing everything myself (except the balance), then checking the intake vacuum in a few weeks when i buy set of gauges or a carbtune.

Or would you just pay for the service and get the balance done now and have done with it?
westy
westy
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 77
Hobbies : IT
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Servicing question Empty Re: Servicing question

Post  SteveCat Wed Apr 04 2012, 12:58

If you feel confidant to do it yourself, then go for it. At least you know what's been worked on!

You can keep the parts receipts and put the mileage on them when they are fitted for your service records.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Mapman Wed Apr 04 2012, 13:15

The cat is a great bike to work on and very rewarding too. I bought myself a used Haynes manual fro a few quid of eBay and have done almost everything myself so far.

Bought some carb guages a few weeks ago and so that's one of the next jobs I've still got to do myself. Makes no difference whether you do them at the time you carry out the other service elements or not.

As Steve says it's a good idea to take a note of mileages on receipts and keep them in a folder or something. Build up your own service history.

Just take your time and enjoy it. Thumb
Mapman
Mapman
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 194
Hobbies : Cars/Bikes/Skiing/Golf/etc
Humour : Some
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  westy Wed Apr 04 2012, 15:23

Thanks guys, didn't think about the service history angle when doing it yourself.

Certainly will be doing it myself now as the garage bill was a bit higher than expected and i'm broke now!
westy
westy
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 77
Hobbies : IT
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Wed Apr 04 2012, 15:26

Yeah, get on it mate, you'll enjoy it and learn about the bike on the way too