Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My First cat

+14
robertcains
gazz770
ellie
Mapman
mrfrance
past-it
HEHORE
stretchie_
weasley
SteveCat
Snowcat
Rosco
TomCom
Dean-J
18 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

My First cat Empty My First cat

Post  Dean-J Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:37

Figured i'd throw up a thread for my new baby, so here she is:

My First cat 20120206_123336

My First cat 20120206_123356-1

Picked her up This time last week for the princely sum of £1500.

40k miles, FSH + Extra servicing and brakes overhaul etc.

First thing i did was to bin the crappy headlight bulb, and (temporarily) chuck in a H4 HID that i had lying around from an old VW Golf. Difference is amazing, i can actually see enough to be able to ride comfortably at night!

My First cat 20120210_222712

On Sunday i went out for a proper ride with one of my usual riding buddies Chris, on his CBR600RR. As we started pushing on i could feel the bike wasnt quite right. she was twitchy at times, yet slow to react at others, and was hard work getting her "right" in the corners. Thinking it was probably just me on a new bike i carried on, until i had a rather brown pants moment involving a hairpin, pushing out wide, and an oncoming 4x4.... affraid

So i made it home, and today me and Chris had a look over the suspension and set up, which was set waaaay too soft for a lump like me! Matey before me was about 5'8" and probably 10stone soaked through, whereas im 6'1" and about 15stone.

We managed to get the Preload and rebound damping set all round, but the front left Compression dampening adjuster is seized solid, so we left that as it was, and the rear shock compression damper is also bust, It just clicks endlessely and makes no odds to the shock at all.

just adjusting the rebound and preload though has made a massive difference. The bike no longer feels nose heavy, and is a lot easier to set up into the corners, so hopefully that will keep me out of trouble until i get chance to replace the rear shock and sort the front left out. Will probably go for a full rebuild and revalve on the fronts, and keep my eyes peeled for a Maxton etc rear.

Quick pic of the 'Cat with the RR, just because i can:

My First cat 20120212_122307

Also today we sorted a few other niggles out, Chain was too tight so that was adjusted, rear brake was semi seized so that was free'd up, lubed and put back together, Brake lever was adjusted as it was too high for my Pasty feet, Throttle free play was adjusted to stop it sticking slightly, and clutch lever was adjusted also.

And whilst we were at it, i pulled the chipped and faded yellow rimtape off ( was a bit garish against the blue for my tastes if im honest), and replaced with some nice reflective blue stuff just to see how it looked. Ill need to redo a couple of bits as its a tad wonky in places, but im chuffed with how it looks so it will be staying. Smile

Yellow can be seen in pics above.

Blue:

My First cat 20120213_153311

And what drivers will see at night when lights on it:

My First cat 20120213_153320

Pretty much all thats happened at the mo, will update this as and when bits get done/Broken/fixed! Laughing
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 244
Humour : Filthy!
Registration date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

My First cat Empty Re: My First cat

Post  TomCom Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:43

o yeeess CATs are the best
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1310
Hobbies : Tattoos, PS4, Airsoft
Humour : dark humour
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:59

Where have you been Dean-J?
The new banner was made just for you!
Looking good.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Feb 13 2012, 22:29

Nice looking bike there, and the best colour also Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Feb 13 2012, 22:49

Very nice, rim tape much better. Never been a fan of the stuff, mine has matching Red Tape - was about to rip it off but saw just how reflective it is, stays on safety grounds.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Tue Feb 14 2012, 12:47

Good to see you getting stuck into it. I have rim tape on mine too - I know it divides opinion but I like how it matches the other red highlights on the bike (and it is retro-reflective).

On your various issues - if you lowered the rear brake lever, did you check the brake light switch was still OK? If you lower the lever too much, it'll close the switch and leave it permanently on (or, at least, get so close that it flickers on and off). You can adjust the switch position relative to the lever.

Did you check your tyre pressures? That would be my first point of call after a wobbly ride.

After 40k the shock is probably past it anyway - a replacement/rebuild will be a good investment.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Tue Feb 14 2012, 13:09

Cheers for the comments guys Smile

tyre pressures were spot on, im pedantic about things like that to say the least!

brake switch did indeed need adjustment Smile

suspension Rebuilds/replacements are definately on the cards, probably/hopefully along the lines of Hagon/Maxxton etc. This bike is going to be here a good few years yet, so i dont mind spending the money on her!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue Feb 14 2012, 14:54

Nice cat
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Tue Feb 14 2012, 15:39

Looking really nice , can't wait to actually see it , if I see you out about town , ill make lots of noise , and you'll have to stop for a chat
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Tue Feb 14 2012, 18:17

Cheers guys.

Not really that i HAVE the money to spend on her, but i will FIND it! Laughing

HeHore - Will have to meet up for a Brew up the Hill sometime Smile
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  past-it Tue Feb 14 2012, 22:58

Nice bike Dean-j. Have fun on the Cat once set up a far better bike tha most people think. If you don't mind my pennys worth of advice, Soak the compression adjuster daily in penetrating oil, it might work to free it off but not likely, but change the fork oil for sae 10 far better for some one of your build. As for the rear shock, I fitted a Hagon and if i'm being picky, It's a little harsh for solo riding but very very good with a pillion on the back. And as for there after sales service, impossible to fault. Mine dumped its oil out the bottom one very cold morning(minus 10c) gave them a ring and explained that it was 11 months old but had covered 12500 miles, they replied that they are covered for 2 years unlimited milage. Send it back 15:30 on a Friday and returned to me on the next Wednesday first post with no charge, and it's been alright for the next 19500 miles.
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Thu Mar 15 2012, 17:04

Well most of you know that a mechanic dropped my tank and seat, causing a fir bit of damage to the paintwork... But hopefully thats back tomorrow so in the few spare hours iv had over the last 2 weeks i've done a few little bits and bobs, Heated grips, 12v socket - That sorta thing.

Today i decided i didnt like the plate holder on my bike, now not being able to find any decent undertray/tail tidy combos anywhere, i decided to crack out the Angle grinder.....

You all know what a standard rear looks like, it now looks like this:

My First cat 20120315_161752

My First cat 20120315_161742

Little bit of finishing off to do shaping the part closest to the seat unit ( no way i was getting too close with a grinder in my hand!) but overall im pretty impressed with it if i do say so myself! And all for the cost of 2 new indicators, £10 in the sale from HG Smile Although i will be ordering a new slightly smaller plate and moving it further up toward the taillight. But for now im Smile
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Thu Mar 15 2012, 22:10

I can't tell the difference, I think mine is like that anyway!?! I need to see what the standard looks like!
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Mar 15 2012, 22:32

There's a lot less mudguard there Paul
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Mapman Thu Mar 15 2012, 23:01

I'm liking those indicators, did they work straight out of the box? Flash rate ok?

You'll need a stick on reflector for MOT time as there's no reflector built into the stock rear light.
Mapman
Mapman
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 194
Hobbies : Cars/Bikes/Skiing/Golf/etc
Humour : Some
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Thu Mar 15 2012, 23:06

mrfrance wrote:I can't tell the difference, I think mine is like that anyway!?! I need to see what the standard looks like!
paul , second pic down at the original post shows it.

and dean , its looking good, got some ideas for mine , will talk you through it and see if you'll give us a hand lol
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Fri Mar 16 2012, 06:30

Mapman wrote:I'm liking those indicators, did they work straight out of the box? Flash rate ok?

You'll need a stick on reflector for MOT time as there's no reflector built into the stock rear light.

yeah i pulled the reflector off as it was a big sticky out ugly thing and ruined the look somewhat.... Laughing ill have an idea for that so wont be reflectorless for long.

Indys are standard bulb type,as im not into Led ones, so yep they work perfectly Smile
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Fri Mar 16 2012, 07:05

The wheel tape looks better and I like the iridium screen.

Pleased your getting to grips with your new steed!
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Mar 16 2012, 09:40

Small bicycle reflector will suffice, no idea why a huge ugly thing needs to be stuck on!
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Fri Mar 16 2012, 09:57

Im going smaller and more aesthetically pleasing than that Smile ordered what i need, see if it works out as well as it does in my head once it arrives Smile
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Fri Mar 16 2012, 12:27

There's a lot less mudguard there Paul.

I see what you mean now, I have realised that mine doesn't have a mudguard Smile

Looking very nice and immaculate Dean not bad ...for a blue cat rofl
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Mapman Fri Mar 16 2012, 14:31

Iridium screen looks perfect on that bike. Can you see through them/that one ok? Looks pretty much blacked out in your second pic.
Mapman
Mapman
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 194
Hobbies : Cars/Bikes/Skiing/Golf/etc
Humour : Some
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Fri Mar 16 2012, 14:42

Mapman wrote:Iridium screen looks perfect on that bike. Can you see through them/that one ok? Looks pretty much blacked out in your second pic.

I had a black double bubble on my cat but never needed to see through it lol.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Fri Mar 16 2012, 18:18

Nah cant see through the screen, but as Ellie said, why would you need to! I can tuck in enough and still see perfectly anyways Smile

Bad news is, Im seriously not happy with the paint. They ended up masking the decals and didnt do that great a job,overspray and sharp edges where the masking was, couple marks in the paint before lacquer, and not to mention its a good 4 shades lighter than rest of the bike!

Have been back onto the guy who damaged the bike and told him im not happy, so waiting to hear back from him now. Have a good mind to insist on a painter of my own choosing, and if he cant colour match it properly, then matey will have to pay for the whole bike to be sprayed. Not a happy bunny!

On the plus side though, i finally got to ride my bike for the first time in nigh on 3 weeks today, had a nice little blast with Paul and my mate harry, which was good Smile
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Fri Mar 16 2012, 18:43

Ref above
Dean-J wrote:If he pulls off a finish like the three bikes he was doing today ( and he's guaranteed me he will) then i will be a happy happy man indeed, especially next month when i get the rest of the bike re done!

You put this on the other thread mate, surely this gives you some grounds for reproach with the bodyshop/painter in question?? Don't take the sh*t off em, threaten both with trading standards and watchdog, whoever, mainly stamp your feet and leave with the result you want and deserve
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum