Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why can't I sell my 'Cat?

+6
robertcains
SteveCat
ellie
Reserector
MrNutt
bobh
10 posters

Go down

Why can't I sell my 'Cat? Empty Why can't I sell my 'Cat?

Post  bobh Thu Feb 09 2012, 19:29

I bought my Thundercat new (well, pre-reg.) in 2003 as my back-to-biking early retirement present to myself.

In the first couple of years it did a fair few miles, but then as I acquired one or two other bikes it has gradually done less and less. The mileage between the last two MoT's was about 1,500, even though my annual total on all bikes is probably nearer 15,000.

The hacks, and other stuff, have come and gone (a DRZ400, a couple of Diversion 600's, a Divvy 900, V-Strom 1000, a couple of Aprilias etc.,) and I still have a FZ6S2 Fazer and a XT660Z Tenere, both great bikes in their way, and very practical. But there's never been a question of selling the Cat, I'm just too attached to it.

Every time it comes round to tax disc time or the multi-bike policy needs renewing I wonder how I can justify keeping it. I've even drafted out adverts to post on the forum, but when I read them back I can't do it, it would be like ratting on a faithful friend.

Does anyone else share this unshakeable attachment to their Cat, or am I just being overly soppy and sentimental?
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Why can't I sell my 'Cat? Empty Re: Why can't I sell my 'Cat?

Post  Guest Thu Feb 09 2012, 19:45

not me but.....
every time I think of trading our lass ,I keep thinking who's gonna do ma dinner,iron ma cloths,wash ma????? old
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Thu Feb 09 2012, 19:48

I haven't owned my cat for that long only 8-9 months now, but I feel an attachment to it already, some bikes you have that connection with and some you don't.
I have already decided I am not going to sell my cat and will come up with other finances to keep it and run something else, its a simple but fantastic bike it has real character for me and does anything you want, its reliable and always purrrs green smile

Thats my look at it anyway....
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Reserector Thu Feb 09 2012, 20:58

I have only had mine about six months, but it is clearly one of the great ones. The YZF is different. It fits so well that I don't see me parting with it until it is worn out.
Reserector
Reserector
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 25
Hobbies : Design Engineer
Humour : It's a fine line between stupid and....clever.
Registration date : 2011-11-18

http://mississippi-mud.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 09 2012, 21:00

no you're not on your own - i got the Gladius a few months ago as a more 'sensible' option to the cat due mainly to my arthritis - but i can't get rid of her - she's in the garage ready to go and i've no doubt i'll get on her next month and my knees will be killing me 10 miles down the road!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Feb 09 2012, 21:26

I loved my cat but have no regrets about selling it as Ive moved on, I loved my 125 too but moved on to bigger and better things.

Although it may be large, I only have one butt and can only ride one bike at a time!

To each his own I suppose!
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Feb 09 2012, 21:26

I made a snap decision to buy another bike, just so happened to be another thundercat You'd think letting the first one go would be easy then.

That bike took us places that neither of us had seen before, it was pretty reliable - even had the decency to wait for us to get back from Scotland before blowing a coil. OK so we had the odd puncture, it spat out a spark plug and collapsed a wheel bearing whilst we were out, just making sure I was paying attention! It would appear that in the later miles it was ashamed to let anyone know just how many it had done and kept destroying the speedo drive. I have no idea how it managed to stop from silly speed to nothing and preventing us (and this time with a pillion) from smacking into the back of a stationary articulated lorry - not contemplating the consequences of that now.

I know I've done 78k miles, at least. It turned 100k km's on a Big Mac, the bike was eager to go anywhere, but did like Scotland.

There's a little ritual I do with the 'Cat, never done with any other bike and that is after a ride I tap the tank and say 'thank you'. That bike has earned my respect.

So just before it was loaded onto a van to be taken to its' new Scottish home I had a quiet word. In a way I felt I had let it down after all the good service it had given me. I know it will give the new owner great pleasure too.

Bob, sentimental, soppy? You're justified to be, but I do think I may just take the biscuit. The new one is younger, more eager and so far we don't quite see eye to eye, in time it'll be its' own star.

I await the visit from the men in white coats Very Happy
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Thu Feb 09 2012, 21:47

proof bikes have soul great
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Thu Feb 09 2012, 22:29

I have to admit I still miss my 'cat but it was time to move on.
The old girl really was a big part of me & I'm pleased to see she went to a good home..............
Then Dave decided to see if she would bounce lol........
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Thu Feb 09 2012, 22:33

it was a test of your love for the bike, I planned the whole thing

yeah right!
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Thu Feb 09 2012, 22:37

also I can safely say that thundercats don't bounce very well.....
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Feb 09 2012, 22:42

They do bounce better than older rotund gentlemen. old , no offence, I'm talking from experience :( :(

Last edited by SteveCat on Thu Feb 09 2012, 22:43; edited 1 time in total
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Thu Feb 09 2012, 22:43

I've had my cat for two years now. Its realiable and took me to big mac where I saw Steves speedo roll over the 000000. Its comfyish and always manages to put a smile on my face when I ride him.

I havent ridden since the 1st Feb, due to the weather :( and currently I cant see me getting back in the saddle for a few more days at least.

See a Tcat is just like your best friend. Ready for you when you need him / her. clink It just doesnt buy you drinks ponder
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Thu Feb 09 2012, 22:43

Well it's 5 years since i let my T-Cat go...Missed it so much i just bought another one as a second bike, i get the feeling i will probably end up putting more miles on it this year than the Duc!!
Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Thu Feb 09 2012, 22:51

Dirt Bike Dave wrote:Well it's 5 years since i let my T-Cat go...Missed it so much i just bought another one as a second bike, i get the feeling i will probably end up putting more miles on it this year than the Duc!!

might that be something to with japanese electrics though dave? tongue
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Feb 09 2012, 23:30

Bless, your a sentimental lot girlpower
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Thu Feb 09 2012, 23:36

This year's my 10th year with the Cat. Over that time I have thought many times about a replacement. Then I take it for a ride and wonder why.

In that time it has had nothing but routine servicing and consumables. The only problem it has had was a failed spark plug cap. It is still on the original downpipes and, as far as I am aware, brake pads (as well as wheel bearings, linkage bearings, shock, head bearings etc). If I give it a clean it comes up very well and yet I largely ignore it between rides, simply switching off the engine, plugging in the Optimate and walking away. After months like this it'll fire straight up and go anywhere.

It's a great bike that has more ability than I do. Sure, it's getting on a bit now and doesn't look the most fashionable, but it can still surprise me with its turn of speed and capability.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat Feb 11 2012, 09:47

I have had my Thundercat for 12 years...it is like a family pet and cannot be sold. All I really use it for is forum related rides now and the odd blast too work.

It has seen off at least two 'replacements' and currently shares the garage with a FZ1S and a RD350. The FZ1S will go before the Cat
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down