Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To fix or to sell... what a dilemma!?

+3
Wild-Kat-Wolf
SteveCat
mechy69
7 posters

Go down

To fix or to sell... what a dilemma!? Empty To fix or to sell... what a dilemma!?

Post  Guest Sat May 29 2010, 17:48

I know I'm probably preaching to the converted somewhat here, but upon inspection of my bike and more importantly my bank balance I'm left in a puzzling situation wall

Basically, I love my bike but it's getting to that awkward age (eleven years and 30,000 miles) where the list of things to do is getting longer and more expensive every month. To be honest, I don't particularly enjoy riding it at the minute - a combination of both the problems with the handling caused by the things on the list, and a worry about what's going to break next.

So far, my "list" of just the fairly urgent bits is up to about £1,500:

·         Full service 180
·         Fix stripped crash bung mounting 30
·         New tyres 210
·         Suspension rebuild 300
·         New headers and end can 300
·         New brake discs, calliper seals, braided lines 475
·         Dash bulbs 20

I admit that some of it, like a service and some new rubber, is inevitable regardless of what I do, but that still leaves over a grand's worth of suspension, brakes and exhaust overhaul on the horizon.

So what do I do? I can't help but wonder whether I'd be throwing good money after bad, as realistically my bike's only worth about a grand part-ex and probably not a lot more private-sale and throwing the same amount again at it in "restoration" work will only bump up its value by a couple of hundred quid at most. I'm sure that doing everything on my list (the rest of it is another £750 or so of nice additions like luggage, autocom, touring screen, etc) would leave me with a bike that is on paper worth far less than I've spent on it but would hopefully give it another 30,000 miles of life.

Unfortunately the alternative option, of getting a decent finance deal on either a new bike or a fairly young used one, is getting very tempting...

slap'ed
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

To fix or to sell... what a dilemma!? Empty Re: To fix or to sell... what a dilemma!?

Post  mechy69 Sat May 29 2010, 19:23

should sell me it cheap ???,

god i need a bike

really

i do

its a drug

pete
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

To fix or to sell... what a dilemma!? Empty Re: To fix or to sell... what a dilemma!?

Post  SteveCat Sat May 29 2010, 19:46

I have a feeling you already know the answer. This isn't going to help you one bit, but I have gone through the same.

Mine is 13 and has 60 000 miles (as it is graduated in km's, is about to go around the clock). Have a similar dilemma - possible clutch, suspension etc. I am already part the way into my investment after getting the pipes and can replaced. Not to mention the Givi and everything else I have added - spent more on bits than I paid for the bike.
I haven't found a bike I'd rather have, so in my case I'm gonna stick with it - possibly a case of rather the devil I know. If I came across a late model with low mileage, might be tempted though.

Looking at your list, maybe some of it can be reviewed or cost less.

Tyres don't have to cost that, I also don't think braided hoses will do anything. Do you know your suspension needs all that work? some things can be gotten off the breakers (eBay).

Thing is, no amount of money spent on repair bills is going to help if you have lost confidence in the bike.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Sat May 29 2010, 19:58

Never thought I'd see myself type this... but ...... trade it in... and get something younger and shinier! (The Sprint perhaps?) You are exactly right in what you have said.... a) no matter how much you continue to fork out on it, it's never gonna give you your money back... and tbh... even if you do all the stuff, there's no guarantee you'll get another 30k out of it. ponder In my honest opinion, once you've lost faith in 'something'.... get rid!! pipit

It's always a hard thing to get rid of a bike... but like Steve says if you've lost confidence in it, then tbh you'll probably always be thinking about getting something else and never be that pleased with it again no matter how well 'restored' it is. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

So you have my permission (lol!) to go out and look at shiny things to replace you faithful Thundercat...don't worry, we'll still all speak to you..... sniff! heheheeh! great

Fi girl_witch
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 29 2010, 21:15

I think a lot of it is pure jealousy. Jen and I went into George White's to ask about test rides on a 33bhp licence, and came back with a deposit on a Gladius - before she'd even booked Module 2 of her test!

I wouldn't say I've lost "confidence" in the bike - not yet at least. But I do wonder that if I spend a grand refreshing everything, I'll then find another grand's worth of things to do to it - refreshing the clutch springs to mind, for a start.

I'll have to have another look at it in a couple of weeks when I've got the servicing and tyres done. Hopefully then the engine will be running sweet as a nut and on good rubber I can try to spend some time seeing whether the adjusters on the suspension works and I can get the bike set up better than it currently is.

That just leaves the matter of warped brake discs up front and a slowly but surely rotting exhaust system..... we'll see whether it's those, or a ZX-6R on 0% for five years!

Chris
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat May 29 2010, 23:30

It might be time to move on. The cat has given you good service. The other option is buy the Kwack and keep the Cat as a 2nd bike, you would pennies for it on trade in anyway. In that way you can keep the value in your new bike too.

You can do many of the jobs you listed for less, for I example I have fitted (excellent) Maxxis tyres to mine for well under £175 the pair fitted.

Ebay will see you getting many of the other parts cheap. Ypou can work on it as a gradual thing, use it for commuting and wet riding in the mean-time. Just a thought.

I have kept my Thundercat while owning a XJR1300SP and my current main bike; a FZ1S Fazer
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 29 2010, 23:37

Radar,

getting a bit off-topic but how are you finding the durability of the Maxxis tyres?

They were an option when I bought my current tyres, I paid a nice even £200 for Metzeler Roadtecs on the advice of the shop. He spoke very highly of the Maxxis tyres as a budget option, saying the only real noticable difference was that they weren't as hard-wearing as the Metzelers or Bridgestones (the others I looked at). I'll see what's in stock and what's cheap when I come to buy but top of my list at the moment is some Avon Storms.

Back to the main subject, and unfortunately keeping the Cat and buying something new just isn't an option. Trading in the Cat will be the bulk of my deposit, and garage space, insurance, road tax and the girlfriend are all against me on that one tongue I think the biggest question is, can I really justify committing myself to ballpark £100-150 a month for the next five years. that's a whole lotta beer tokens clink

Chris
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat May 29 2010, 23:59

R2D2 wrote:Radar,

getting a bit off-topic but how are you finding the durability of the Maxxis tyres?

They were an option when I bought my current tyres, I paid a nice even £200 for Metzeler Roadtecs on the advice of the shop. He spoke very highly of the Maxxis tyres as a budget option, saying the only real noticable difference was that they weren't as hard-wearing as the Metzelers or Bridgestones (the others I looked at). I'll see what's in stock and what's cheap when I come to buy but top of my list at the moment is some Avon Storms.

Back to the main subject, and unfortunately keeping the Cat and buying something new just isn't an option. Trading in the Cat will be the bulk of my deposit, and garage space, insurance, road tax and the girlfriend are all against me on that one tongue I think the biggest question is, can I really justify committing myself to ballpark £100-150 a month for the next five years. that's a whole lotta beer tokens clink

Chris

Early days yet, tbh. I fitted them last June, but bought the FZ1S not long after. I have done about a 1000 miles on them. I would estimate at the moment about 4-5k for the rear about twice that on the front. I will take a close look at them tomorrow. I picked them following the recommendation of a bloke on another forum who used them on his 2008 GSxR750, including track day use. he raved about them. I think they are pretty good. I went for the more sporting type, there is a (cheaper) sports-touring option too which i think Ellie has fitted to her Cat
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sun May 30 2010, 11:52

right i had the same thing with my old cat tad over 55k on the clock things needed doing etc . looks at newer bikes she was a 1996 n reg re d white black caf colours . so went out bought a brand new yes brand new .750 gsx 51 plate when they changed over to the differant reg type . 6 months ;later chopped it in for a 4 year old THUNDER cat i missed it so much , & i still do the only reason i do not have a thundercat is there not made any more i even seen a 07 import which i was thinking of swapping the 636 for reason 2
crap headlight , they do every thing you ask of them fast enough great on touring comfort 1 of the best for a 600 touring sports bike
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil

Back to top Go down

Post  bignige Sun May 30 2010, 21:24

Depends how much you love it ? if you do & it ticks all the boxes & you are planning to keep it long term maybe you should have the work done ponder

If not think hard before shelling out that amount of cash.

In the winter I had new uprated shocks on my old CBR900 - tough call, but it needed it & after what I'd spent in the previous year I did decide to have it done.
Then in April the clutch let go (£263.00) & I've just put another rear tyre on. wall

I'm where you will be if you have it done - the old girl stands me at about 2 1/2 times what she's worth.

But not many of us make decisions about bikes with the head , now do we great
bignige
bignige
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 112
Hobbies : Pies, Beer n Bikes
Humour : The Beatings will continue until Morale improves !
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 08 2010, 10:31

Well decisions have been made - although admittedly, the MOT has forced my hand somewhat.

:cancan: I'm keeping the Cat!! :cancan:

The tyres and front discs failed the MOT so are being replaced, and along with an interim service and the crash bung that's probably the majority of my list. Hopefully the bike will feel fresh enough after all this to convince me it's worth putting the extra money into the old girl!

Chris
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Tue Jun 08 2010, 13:17

Glad to hear you are keeping the cat chris. Good luck bringing her to former glory.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down