Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HID Kits....Plug and Play or Projector Retrofit?

+2
SteveCat
reciprocity
6 posters

Go down

HID Kits....Plug and Play or Projector Retrofit? Empty HID Kits....Plug and Play or Projector Retrofit?

Post  reciprocity Wed Aug 24 2011, 09:01

Im planning on buying a HID kit at the end of the month for the cat and just want to know if anyone here has had any trouble passing an MOT with them. Any advice would be wonderful...

Thanks
reciprocity
reciprocity
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2011-07-15

Back to top Go down

HID Kits....Plug and Play or Projector Retrofit? Empty Re: HID Kits....Plug and Play or Projector Retrofit?

Post  SteveCat Wed Aug 24 2011, 09:22

No problem for me with MOT (couple of weeks ago)
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

HID Kits....Plug and Play or Projector Retrofit? Empty Re: HID Kits....Plug and Play or Projector Retrofit?

Post  prodigy Wed Aug 24 2011, 09:40

I've got this kit installed on my cat, never had any bother with MOT.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Had it installed since Dec 2009 and still going strong Smile The inverter is nice and slim and easy enough to hide in the fairing.
prodigy
prodigy
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 119
Hobbies : IT Manager, Online Gaming...
Humour : Yes please....
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Aug 24 2011, 10:21

Looks like the one I have
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  reciprocity Wed Aug 24 2011, 10:40

prodigy wrote:I've got this kit installed on my cat, never had any bother with MOT.

Had it installed since Dec 2009 and still going strong Smile The inverter is nice and slim and easy enough to hide in the fairing.

Did you get that exact one? If so, how long did it take to get to you from Hong Kong? Also what about import taxes? Is there a uk alternative that you can suggest? Thanks so much for the quick reply guys!

So glad that it doesnt affect MOT. Was worried that I would have to spend 3-4 days doing a projector retrofit and didnt know how I was going to come up with a workaround for the hi/lo beam issue.
reciprocity
reciprocity
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  prodigy Wed Aug 24 2011, 11:41

Yes I have that exact one with a 6K colour bulb/ballast. Cant recall but dont think it took a long time to arrive, this is a way back now. They claim same day shipping and I have had stuff arrive very fast from HK in the past.
prodigy
prodigy
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 119
Hobbies : IT Manager, Online Gaming...
Humour : Yes please....
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Aug 24 2011, 11:51

I got mine from HiD City., but I paid about £50 for it from a bike show. At this kind of price, patience may well be a virtue worth possessing.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  reciprocity Thu Aug 25 2011, 00:06

Yes, methinks I shall order from the asians this time around. Thanks so much for the advice guys. Looking forward to getting them. Also going to buy one of these:

And a pair of these:

I love the fact that I can stick as many cool lights on my bike in effort to improve my visibility. Something I couldnt do on my car without looking like a prat.
reciprocity
reciprocity
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  joshhatton Thu Aug 25 2011, 19:58

hey guys,

i own a car performance shop down in oxford.... i do the hid kits for cars and have gone into bikes....

just fitted one to my 98 cat and its brilliant! if any one is intrested i can do a group buy for £32 posted each kit with a year warentee
joshhatton
joshhatton
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Aug 25 2011, 20:04

Can you post some info on the kit please Josh. Pic's would be good. How does it handle low/high beam? Do you have any issue with using the Pass button?

How many for a group buy?
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  joshhatton Thu Aug 25 2011, 20:08

pass button is spot on,

kit contains

1x super slim ballast
1x wiring kit
1x bulb (h4 in any colour)
1x warentee card
all bolts (not needed on cat)

run the wire from battery upto headlight plug a few wires in, hide the ballast behind the pannel.

they are really good quality kits, i have sold 10 of the bike kits so far with non back, and close to 500 of the car kits with around 10 back for exhange, so the rate is spot on !

ill get some pics up asap

and group buy 3+ people
joshhatton
joshhatton
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Aug 25 2011, 20:59

reciprocity wrote: Looking forward to getting them. Also going to buy one of these:

Don't get long ones - well longer than the bulb, the LED stalk will push against the plastic 'cap' inside the speedo .. I posted some pics [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu Aug 25 2011, 23:17

joshhatton wrote:pass button is spot on,

kit contains

1x super slim ballast
1x wiring kit
1x bulb (h4 in any colour)
1x warentee card
all bolts (not needed on cat)

run the wire from battery upto headlight plug a few wires in, hide the ballast behind the pannel.

they are really good quality kits, i have sold 10 of the bike kits so far with non back, and close to 500 of the car kits with around 10 back for exhange, so the rate is spot on !

ill get some pics up asap

and group buy 3+ people

Hi Josh

Can you supply a picture of the bits esp the bulb?

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  reciprocity Fri Aug 26 2011, 06:36

SteveCat wrote:
reciprocity wrote: Looking forward to getting them. Also going to buy one of these:

Don't get long ones - well longer than the bulb, the LED stalk will push against the plastic 'cap' inside the speedo .. I posted some pics [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wasnt going to use it inside the speedo silly. Going to use it as a sidelight. Lol. Laughing
reciprocity
reciprocity
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  reciprocity Fri Aug 26 2011, 06:38

Also, I would be very interested in paying 32 quid if others are interested to. Would also appreciate some pictures.
reciprocity
reciprocity
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Fri Aug 26 2011, 08:47

Hi Josh,

I am interested, shame my client down Oxford lost their business last year (thanks News International) otherwise I would have called in to see one.
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  joshhatton Fri Aug 26 2011, 22:10

hey guys,

ill take lots of pics tomo,

the bule fits perfect, its a bit longer at the back than a normall h4 bulb, but fits perfect...

if any one is bassed near oxford come and have a look Smile
joshhatton
joshhatton
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down