Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noise from front wheel.. Replace brake pads? - Oh & Dash Bulbs Question

+6
Rosco
SteveCat
weasley
Wooster
seancat
Stewbacca
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

suprise Noise from front wheel.. Replace brake pads? - Oh & Dash Bulbs Question

Post  Stewbacca Sat Jul 30 2011, 14:18

First topic message reminder :

Recently my bike has started making a kind of whirring/ chuffing noise.. i think its the front brakes have worn and they're rubbing.. if anybody could confirm this that would be loverly great

Does anybody know if ther brake pads will fit in my bike? (Thundercat 97)

My bro has a spare pair of brakes lying around for a bandit.. would these fit a Cat?

It doesn't seem likely but could spare me the wait!

THANKS GUYS What a Face

Last edited by 0ldcat on Fri Aug 05 2011, 20:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thread title ammendment to inc dash bulbs)
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-06-21

Back to top Go down

suprise Re: Noise from front wheel.. Replace brake pads? - Oh & Dash Bulbs Question

Post  Wooster Fri Aug 05 2011, 20:14

Hope you haven't bought them yet, they're possibly no good, as you'll soon see..

Investigating the Mysterious Case of the Wobbly Speedo, found the cause and it's related to the lights.
The blue LEDS were a bit of a tight fit, especially the top speedo one.
When I stripped out the speedo I found a bit of black plastic lying in there and it's a shield for the incandescent lights, when they're in the tip of the bulb is pretty close to the back of the dial, so there's a plastic shield that hangs over the bulb and down the front to stop the heat blistering it.
The tight fitting LED must have snapped it off at the base. :rite:

If you try and fit long LED's then you're probably going to hit those shields and snap them. :/

p.s. Any change you could edit the title of this post to include the LED discussion Stew?
(It makes it easier for people to find if they do a quick search). Wink ~~~~ Ed . . . Your wish green smile

Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

suprise Re: Noise from front wheel.. Replace brake pads? - Oh & Dash Bulbs Question

Post  reciprocity Fri Aug 05 2011, 22:18

My advice...and what I will be doing to mine:

http://www.streetracerparts.com/Yamaha_YZF_600R_1994_2005_Illumiglo_Gauges_p/srp-0789.htm

http://www.ccbiketech.com/illumiglo.asp?franchise=3&model=35&item=107

Noise from front wheel.. Replace brake pads? - Oh & Dash Bulbs Question - Page 3 789

I fitted these to my car as I used to be heavily into car modification. Fiddly but OMG worth it!!! I used to sit in the car and just look at the dials. Gorgeous....

reciprocity
reciprocity
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2011-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Fri Aug 05 2011, 23:04

They look fairly nice.. but for 100!? I'd rather spend a tenner on some blue bulbs Smile It would be nice to have custom like that but I couldn't justify £60 myself! Wink
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  reciprocity Sat Aug 06 2011, 20:44

I know its really quite expensive for 1 single purchase, but they actually look a lot better in real life than they do in the pics. Plus definition of characters, vibrancy is just amazing.

Also there are colour changing needles that look amazing. The reverse glow dials combined with colour changing needles look like this. They look like mini lazers telling me how fast im going. NOM NOM!...Love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ESTZzG9kuU&feature=related

Another pretty video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ujgBrCmHQ&feature=related
reciprocity
reciprocity
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2011-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Thu Aug 11 2011, 21:21

So for anybody interested. Got round to putting bulbs in and its slightly better than the pictures Wooster posted above. The LEDs are longer than the standard bulbs but don't cause a problem.. I would suggest getting the ones with 5 LEDs on one stick and making sure you get a stubby one to fit.

But I am happy with the blue LEDs for £4 and I even tried white LEDs and stuck with blue. It doesn't 'Glow' but you can see it in the dark = problem solved! great
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Fri Aug 12 2011, 00:20

Nice one. Cool
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Jtpt2007 Fri Aug 12 2011, 06:43

They are 501's and the stock ones are white it's the dials that give them a orange look. I have got red led one's in at the min but they are pants. If you going to change them I suggest you try and find some that are high wattage.
Jtpt2007
Jtpt2007
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Jtpt2007 Fri Aug 12 2011, 07:12

Lol I have just realised this topic is has 4 pages not just the first one I looked at tongue
Jtpt2007
Jtpt2007
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Fri Aug 12 2011, 08:54

I do that as well. Very Happy
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Aug 12 2011, 09:07

I have a instrument cluster which I have taken apart, will take pictures of what it looks like inside which will give an idea of what it is we are up against.

There are bits of plastic very close to the bulb, so a higher wattage doesn't look like a good idea.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5110
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Fri Aug 12 2011, 09:11

Oh THERE ARE obviously filters for the instrument panel (I'm talking solely about the clocks. Use white for the neutral light etc as they have filters (Standard LED should be fine as it points towards you
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Fri Aug 12 2011, 09:20

Oh and on what Stevecat says.. I cant confirm that the plastic melted but I had 5w bulbs in there for a week. Took the bulb holder out with the ignition on accidently and the burn VERY hot after a few seconds of being on. Wouldnt reccomend using higher watt bulbs. LEDs are fine Smile
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Aug 12 2011, 18:49

The pics of the inside of the speedo housing showing the plastic guard with and without the bulb in. The white strip is the light reflector. The orange part can be seen in the speedo dial .. so you can have any colour you like in there but it will be mixed with Orange.

Noise from front wheel.. Replace brake pads? - Oh & Dash Bulbs Question - Page 3 Img_8912
Noise from front wheel.. Replace brake pads? - Oh & Dash Bulbs Question - Page 3 Img_8911
Noise from front wheel.. Replace brake pads? - Oh & Dash Bulbs Question - Page 3 Img_8913
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5110
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Fri Aug 12 2011, 20:00

It was one of those heat shields that had fallen into my speedo mechanism. Wink
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  pandaking Sun Mar 04 2012, 16:54

Stewbacca wrote:Think I know what we need. You can buy t10 w5w leds which instead of a bulb. They have a stick of five leds.. this means they shine in all directions. Ill buy a bunch and report back ponder
Stewbacca wrote:So for anybody interested. Got round to putting bulbs in and its slightly better than the pictures Wooster posted above. The LEDs are longer than the standard bulbs but don't cause a problem.. I would suggest getting the ones with 5 LEDs on one stick and making sure you get a stubby one to fit.

But I am happy with the blue LEDs for £4 and I even tried white LEDs and stuck with blue. It doesn't 'Glow' but you can see it in the dark = problem solved! great
Hate to resurrect a dead thread, however this has been an interesting read and I am hoping for some tips. I'm the (relatively) new owner of a Thundercat and am in the middle of giving her some TLC and cleaning her up.

All but 1 of the 4 dashboard/instrument lights is dead, and I would quite like to replace with LED.

Stewbacca - you seem to have got better results with LED's than Wooster did. Would it be possible for you to link me to the LED bulbs you purchased? I would like to purchase the same! great

After much Googling I have found ones that should fit, but many are xeon ultra bright types which I feel might dazzle me.
The best bet I've found are these: http://www.ultimatemods.co.uk/t10-capless-led-bulb-501-w5w-4xled.html
I'm thinking of buying in blue and white, as ideally I would have blue but from the pictures in this thread blue may appear too dim.
Any comments or tips? Many thanks clink
pandaking
pandaking
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  pandaking Sun Mar 04 2012, 17:11

PS. The ultra bright ones I mentioned seem to be recommended in this thread: https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org/t454-dashboard-led-bulbs

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t10-mini-light-ring-leds-xenon-white-p-2436.html
pandaking
pandaking
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Mon Mar 05 2012, 16:29

Hi, I replied on sunday but apparently it hasnt sent!

No worries for asking. The LEDs I used were the blue ones of these. I bought white and blue rom that seller but chose to go for blue.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220689524672&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123

HOWEVER! I wouldn't go for these. When I spoke of the five sided LEDs. I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Blue-T10-194-501-W5W-5-SMD-LED-Car-Side-Wedge-Light-/300578876312?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fbe5ab98

The reason is that if you look at SteveCat's pictures. LEDs point straight forward and the light is blocked by the plastic cap on the speedo plastic. If you use ones like this the LEDs on the side would allow the light to spread round and give an even glow... Which I think would be more visible and even = nicer!

I've got to charge my battery tonight so once I have I'll take a snap of my clocks and post them here.

Hope this helps!
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  pandaking Mon Mar 05 2012, 17:56

Thanks for the speedy response, I've just ordered the ones you suggested. Fingers crossed it gives a nice effect and doesn't blind me at night Very Happy

Look forward to seeing your pics, and I'll post back with how I get on with the ones you linked.
pandaking
pandaking
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Mon Mar 05 2012, 18:29

Hi & welcome pandaking,
Why not pop by the new members intro's in the Senate and say hello.
I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome from everyone. Thumb
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 05 2012, 21:52

funny enough I had a noisy back end to....

till I realized that I was just passing wind Wink
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Mon Mar 05 2012, 23:39

Pandaking, that's good to hear! Yeah, let me know how they go. I hope it works well, I've been meaning to get some myself! I'll try and do the pics of mine tomorrow because if I connect the battery the alarm goes off for a minute.. and it's a bit late now!

Cheers
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Tue Mar 06 2012, 12:43

Okay so I charged the battery and went down to start it up today. Wasn't working so figure I'll get a conditioner/charger and see how that goes.. then the charger I've been using got a short somewhere and set on fire! wall

..So no pictures atm =] But I would be interested to see yours when they're in!

Also, when you put the LEDs in, as yours have LEDs on each side of the bulb, check the clocks and maybe turn the bulbs and see if you can get a good light flow

great
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  pandaking Wed Mar 21 2012, 20:22

Just an update:
I haven't forgotten about this, however the ebay seller I purchased from is in China it turns out, so delivery time is like up to 1 month :/
pandaking
pandaking
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  pandaking Wed Apr 04 2012, 19:41

So the LED's came and they have been fitted. They work, could still do with being brighter though - the camera makes them look better than they are:
Noise from front wheel.. Replace brake pads? - Oh & Dash Bulbs Question - Page 3 DfW53

If there is a street light then you only get the slightest blue tinge, but if it's dark they look great. And you can certainly see the dials at all time.

Overall I'm very happy for the £3 I spent getting the 4 blue bulbs. If someone else is looking for themselves and sees brighter ones though - get them! Smile
pandaking
pandaking
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Thu Apr 05 2012, 02:13

They look pretty great! Very even light spread compared to mine. Did you use the multi sided LEDs? could you link me to the ones you bought? I might buy some ultra bright ones.. once i get my Cat to start again! green smile
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3