Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noise from front wheel.. Replace brake pads? - Oh & Dash Bulbs Question

+6
Rosco
SteveCat
weasley
Wooster
seancat
Stewbacca
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

suprise Noise from front wheel.. Replace brake pads? - Oh & Dash Bulbs Question

Post  Stewbacca Sat Jul 30 2011, 14:18

Recently my bike has started making a kind of whirring/ chuffing noise.. i think its the front brakes have worn and they're rubbing.. if anybody could confirm this that would be loverly great

Does anybody know if ther brake pads will fit in my bike? (Thundercat 97)

My bro has a spare pair of brakes lying around for a bandit.. would these fit a Cat?

It doesn't seem likely but could spare me the wait!

THANKS GUYS What a Face

Last edited by 0ldcat on Fri Aug 05 2011, 20:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thread title ammendment to inc dash bulbs)
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-06-21

Back to top Go down

suprise Re: Noise from front wheel.. Replace brake pads? - Oh & Dash Bulbs Question

Post  Stewbacca Sat Jul 30 2011, 14:21

Just look 'em up and they look completely different so it's gonna be a no on the brakes.

Could anybody confirm that this noise will be the brakes?
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

suprise Re: Noise from front wheel.. Replace brake pads? - Oh & Dash Bulbs Question

Post  seancat Sat Jul 30 2011, 17:35

Its worth a looking at the breaks first mate.

Look for obvious signs of wear on the pads (wear indicator on both sets)
Does it make the noise when your breaking? Or is it doing it all the time?
If its the latter it could be the plastic speedo housing in the front wheel or even the front wheel bearing.

If I were you I would check the condition of the pads first, then strip the front wheel down and look for worn parts.

Sean.
seancat
seancat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 152
Hobbies : Designer
Humour : Drier than a Nuns chuff!
Registration date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Sat Jul 30 2011, 17:48

It only takes two seconds to check if it's the brake pads using the Mk I eyeball, if all you see is a metal plate on any of the four, then the pads are shot.
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Sat Jul 30 2011, 17:55

Thanks for the reply Sean,

I had since posted that the brakes are fine.. I think it may be the chain making the noise and I am just wrongly thinking its from the front.

I'm getting the chain sorted on wednesday to see if that fixes my problem. On the subject of brakes though.. does anyone know about how likely it is they are stuck and how to go about checking/ fixing them if they are?

Thanks
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  seancat Sat Jul 30 2011, 18:04

You would soon know if the break calipers are not working correctly.
They will either snatch, feel spongy or not work at all!!!
If you think there maybe a problem, strip each caliper down and clean them individually, dont mix the parts. (You may find that they contain a gummy/sticky reside which usually causes them to operate incorrectly, this is old fluid which has solidified.)

Re-fill and bleed the front system with fresh fluid.
It is a fairly easy job to do and can be achieved with the use of a Haynes manual.

Sean.

seancat
seancat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  seancat Sat Jul 30 2011, 18:22

If you dont have a Haynes, you can always use this service manual.
http://www.newsco-software.co.uk/dl.php?filename=Bike/YZF600R-FSM.pdf

Sean.
seancat
seancat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Sat Jul 30 2011, 18:49

I have that manual thanks. I also have the thunderace one as it seems to include more images and actual descriptions.

I will get the chain and sprockets done and bleed the brakes and let you know how I get on :o

While I have you though.. does anyone know how to change the bulbs in the dash? I have one out and was dbating putting blue ones in while I 'm there green smile
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  seancat Sat Jul 30 2011, 18:52

Hmmmmmmm.
I would advise against blue bulbs in the dash.....
I know of a few people who have tried them and changed them straight back because they are not bright enough at night. ponder
seancat
seancat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  seancat Sat Jul 30 2011, 18:54

Stewbacca wrote:I have that manual thanks. I also have the thunderace one as it seems to include more images and actual descriptions.

I will get the chain and sprockets done and bleed the brakes and let you know how I get on :o

Dont forget to strip and clean the calipers!
All that gunk I was on about is usually located around the pistons, so a full strip down is required.
seancat
seancat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Sat Jul 30 2011, 18:58

Oh really? Would you recommend another colour? I assumed the blue would be brighter than the dull stock orange colour?

And do you know what bulbs to use or should I take the dash off and take one to a shop? I'd rather get them cheaper online great
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  seancat Sat Jul 30 2011, 19:26

Im not sure what bulbs they are to be honest.

There is a vid on you tube of a guy who had blue bulbs in his '99 cat, he says that he changed them back after the first night ride as he couldn't see the dash!!

I also have a friend with a blue R6 who did exactly the same! Then changed them back to stock a week later.

I think the best bet would be to try white? (Im sick of the orange look myself!).

I would take the dash out and have a look to see which bulbs they are, OR better still, have a search on the net for them.

Sean.
seancat
seancat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Sat Jul 30 2011, 19:33

I've been looking about and can't find anything but I'll keep looking. I figured a light blue as in white/blue would be nice. So it's not an annoying bright white but still light. But I'll mind what you said and keep looking for the best Smile
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Sat Jul 30 2011, 20:06

seancat wrote:Hmmmmmmm.
I would advise against blue bulbs in the dash.....
I know of a few people who have tried them and changed them straight back because they are not bright enough at night. ponder

I've literally just found that out for myself. Smile
Still, I can see enough so they're staying in.

Swapping them out is easy enough.
Take the black panels that cover the air ducts and the two behind the mirrors, remove the windscreen, remove the display cover (don't drop the top screws, they have a habit of disappearing), a bit of fiddling and it'll pull out and all that's holding the display on is two nuts at each end at the back (that also hold on two tabs with nuts welded to them)...don't drop these nuts either.

And that's it, you can now tilt the display forward to get into the lights.
(It's also an ideal opportunity to fit a superbright headlight bulb since the stock ones are crap)

-edit- While I was at it I disabled the side stand switch by shorting the plug under the tank.
Before I removed the alarm and fitted a new loom it was disabled (don't know why), but it annoyed me that I couldn't start it on the stand so that by the time I got the lid etc. on I could bung the choke back in and head on my merry way.

Last edited by Wooster on Sat Jul 30 2011, 20:11; edited 1 time in total
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Sat Jul 30 2011, 20:08

Thanks a lot for your help!

Do you know what type of bulbs they are in the speedo?
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Sat Jul 30 2011, 20:16

Don't know the model number, but these are the type.
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/504-3W-CAR-BULBS/

-edit- 501's I think they are. (The LED's I bought from rip-off Halfords were 501's)
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-Vision-24-12v-W5W-Capless-Sidelight-Long-Life-Bulb.html

-edit-edit- The Headlight is an H4
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Sat Jul 30 2011, 20:41

On a Cat you can start it in neutral on the stand? I let mine warm up while I get my gear on every morning and it's fine. doesnt start in first so the switch is still on. But if yours wasnt working thats a bit odd Smile

Anyhoo I've got the brakes sorted and it's not the brakes. Put the bike on the ABBA stand and raised the front wheel n got my dad to spin it. Nice n quiet.

I am now almost certain its the chain so will be getting that done on weds Smile thanks for youre help on that guys.

Just the bulbs left and I'll be geting onto that following Woosters orders green smile

Wooster, aswell as the types of bulbs what colour would you suggest?
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Sat Jul 30 2011, 20:50

I don't know why it started working (not working?) that way.
I can only imagine that I wired it up better with the new loom than it was with the old one. tongue

Why is there even a switch on it in the first place?
I could understand if it was wired up in such a way that it prevented you engaging the starter motor when the stand was up (and doing 140mph). ponder
..God knows. It's sorted now anyway. Wink

-edit- Maybe the new loom didn't come off a Thundercat at all, maybe it came off a Fazer. :rite:
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Sat Jul 30 2011, 20:53

I would assume it's to stop you riding with the stand down Smile
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Sat Jul 30 2011, 20:58

Ya think? green smile

Colour, no idea tbh, but as has already been pointed out the blue LED's are very dull (maybe due to the orange filter).
Red might work.

p.s. Wish I'd seen these prices before I forked out eight bucks a pair at Halfords.
http://www.ultimatemods.co.uk/501-led-bulbs-w5w.html

Last edited by Wooster on Sat Jul 30 2011, 21:02; edited 1 time in total
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Sat Jul 30 2011, 21:00

Hah nice reply ponder

I didnt realise there was an orange filter? I'll go for white ones then and just make the orange brighter Smile

Are they leds or bulbs and do you know the type you used?

Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Sat Jul 30 2011, 21:06

Some of the glass ones were burned out so I fitted domed LED's.
(501's)

Still got the five plain glass ones in the indicators, neutral, oil, fuel, high beam though.

Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Stewbacca Sat Jul 30 2011, 21:11

Okay thanks. Is it okay to use the LEDs? Is everything working well? Resistances etc will be different so making sure its safe and wont burn any fuses out and blah blah?
Stewbacca
Stewbacca
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Sat Jul 30 2011, 21:53

Seemed to be fine on mine, but I haven't used them for any duration.
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sun Jul 31 2011, 08:37

On the sidestand thing, the last thing you want is to ride off with your sidestand down - have a look on YouTube why not!

There are 3 switches that prevent starting. Sidestand, clutch and gearbox. You can start in neutral whenever you like, but if your sidestand is down when you put it in gear, it'll stop. You can start in gear if the clutch is in. If you can't start with the sidestand down then it is wired up wrong.

Back to topic, I noticed all my speedo lights are out so will be doing this myself soon, good advice and info in here!
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next