Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bike insurance

+2
yamahamad
terry lees
6 posters

Go down

Bike insurance Empty Bike insurance

Post  terry lees Mon Feb 28 2011, 16:31

Thought this might be of interest, my renewal notice dropped through the letter box the other day, and although I thought I'd got a pretty good deal last year [£150 fully comp inc.UK & European breakdown] they wanted another £15 quid this year, so had a shop around. Swinton came up with a fantastic deal £95.37 fully comp £350 excess. But no european or uk breakdown. This is the best bit! they throw in 3 months free uk and european cover to start within any time of your choosing, so if like me you decide to do a trip to Spain in August you could start the cover from say June 1st. If you wish the cover to continue after that its £2.99 p m for the uk cover and £3.99 for the european, this was the clincher for me, the operative said if 'you decide today I'll throw in free legal expenses worth £30.00' Well you would would'nt you. Oh the other thing, I would also have got free medical ins.thrown in as well but this only applies to folk under 67 so I don't qualify. If your insurance is coming up in the near future its worth a ring. The No. is 0800 072 9018 By the way please don't think the quote is for a small capacity bike its for a Yam FJR 1300.
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Bike insurance Empty Re: Bike insurance

Post  yamahamad Tue Mar 01 2011, 19:09

Nice one Terry always good to get a good deal.
My bike has been insured through Swinton for the past 3years, however so were the cars but neither are this year after massive price rises but no claims
or points added.
I am interested to get this years bike quote but not until September.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Thu Mar 10 2011, 15:59

Further to my earlier post an embarrassing climbdown by yours truly. When my policy docs arrived and I checked the small print, I discovered that in the event of an accident abroad, although the bike would be covered and if unable to be ridden, repatriated back home, the rider would not. I queried this with Swinton, who were adamant that this was the case. I think that this a very important point, the last thing you need is to be stranded thousands of miles from home without a paddle. So, tail between legs I've cancelled the Swinton policy and gone back to Carol Nash who most definitly do cover this eventuality. as furball happilly discovered last year whilst in Spain.
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Mar 10 2011, 19:41

Ah yes tel,

the dread small print. Many moons ago now on the (i believe) first t/cat trip to spain when vanguard (tim) fell off, bike was taken care of, tim on the other hand was left high and dry . . .

t'was a good job he was with a group of friends who between them managed to get him home.

Good job you read what was on offer . . . . s'amazin where these buggers'll cut corners to offer you a cheaper deal to get yer business . . . . and hope punters don't do what you did (read the policy) . . . and shaft you good style when the chips are down and are in REAL need of assistance.

T'is why I don't trust these online comparison thingys
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Mar 30 2011, 14:59

Tes, this has been very helpful, thanks

Mine is up for renewal and has nearly doubled slap'ed

All I spoke to, except Carol Nash, will expect you to find your own way home after an accident, however a few did say that transportation from the accident scene would be handled with an ambulance trip to hospital (guess they have outsourced transport and accommodation) - charming.

CN have always quoted me silly money in the past and wasn't going to bother trying them, but this time they have come up with the most palatable package, at the end of the day I'll be better off than last year Very Happy
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Mar 30 2011, 15:08

SteveCat wrote:Tes, this has been very helpful, thanks

Mine is up for renewal and has nearly doubled slap'ed

All I spoke to, except Carol Nash, will expect you to find your own way home after an accident, however a few did say that transportation from the accident scene would be handled with an ambulance trip to hospital (guess they have outsourced transport and accommodation) - charming.

CN have always quoted me silly money in the past and wasn't going to bother trying them, but this time they have come up with the most palatable package, at the end of the day I'll be better off than last year Very Happy

Interesting to know that Steve.
I'm about to renew with them (Carole Nash) for the grand total of £116 fully comp. Very Happy

MOT passed yesterday too, I'd put the bulb back in squinty so a warning for being a plonker from the MOT man (I know him) and the rear brake light adjuster had adjusted itself so that it never comes on. He said that everytime I've MOT'd he needs to adjust this. He wants me to put a blob of glue on it!

Just need to get my road tax before close of play tomorrow and I'm good to go again! great
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Mar 30 2011, 15:14

Rosco wrote:
I'm about to renew with them (Carole Nash) for the grand total of £116 fully comp. Very Happy

Must be where I live, the 'high mileage' I do or the fact that I have only been in the UK 5 years (previous residency don't count) - they're going to be extracting £165 from me; so much for 10+ years NCB and IAM discount.
Sound very good deal, well done.

Rosco wrote:the rear brake light adjuster had adjusted itself so that it never comes on.
Mine does exactly the same thing, at MOT and also IAM inspection wall

God to hear about the MOT, will catch up with you re the light (skew or not Very Happy )
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Fri Apr 01 2011, 20:47

That's a very good point about recovery from foreign parts.

Was with CN, but I've been with Adelaide (IAM Surety) for the last 3 years, so I'd better go off and check the small print! While I'm at it I'll check whether my annual travel insurance policy (which is with CN) covers it as well/instead.

BTW, it's not easy to find reasonably-priced annual European cover that includes riding a motorcycle, mountain biking, skiing and hiking at altitude, especially when you're getting on a bit. old The CN policy only covers the motorcycling bit, so I'm relying on my EHIC for the rest. Anyone got any suggestions (OK, I can take a few ageist jokes)? nurse
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri Apr 01 2011, 21:29

Umm ,

Don't go motorcycling off mountains with slippery planks at your age old and if it does all goes wrong . . . . . don't walk back to the scene !
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down