Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting a non bike specific SatNav to your bike

3 posters

Go down

Fitting a non bike specific SatNav to your bike Empty Fitting a non bike specific SatNav to your bike

Post  SteveCat Fri Jul 17 2009, 14:00

There are a couple of SatNav's designed for use on Motorcycles. They are waterproof, more rugged and shockproof, have a mount to (hopefully) keep them in place and draw their power from the bike's battery. That's great, but they are expensive.

What do you do if you want to use the system you use for your car? You can put it in your tank bag or
get one of these..
A So Easy Rider is a waterproof 'pouch' that fits onto the handle bars, has a clear top so you can look at the map and has an opening to push through a headphone cable. It also has a battery to keep your unit operational.

A review of this can be found here.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Fitting a non bike specific SatNav to your bike Empty Re: Fitting a non bike specific SatNav to your bike

Post  Rosco Fri Jul 17 2009, 14:22

Nice info Steve

I'd mention that the majority of tank bags are NOT waterproof unless you put the rain cover on (which blocks your view of the Sat-Nav.......catch 22)

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Fitting a non bike specific SatNav to your bike Empty Re: Fitting a non bike specific SatNav to your bike

Post  weasley Sat Jul 18 2009, 10:45

This is such a great idea and I was tempted but then I remembered.... I have an older TomTom GO 710, which has absolutely NO inputs for power, headphones etc on the unit itself. In order to plug anything in to it it has to be attached to the "active" mount, which includes the sucker for windscreen fixing. Therefore there's no way it's all going in that little pouch. Shame. Maybe time to get a Bluetooth GPS receiver and running a navigation app on my phone (Nokia Symbian OS)...?
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down