Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kapten Rider review (and no I don't sell them for a living)

5 posters

Go down

Kapten Rider review (and no I don't sell them for a living)  Empty Kapten Rider review (and no I don't sell them for a living)

Post  Guest Fri Feb 18 2011, 12:06

OK where to start, at the beginning I suppose.

For those who don't know the Kapten Rider.

Its a pocket sized Voice guidance GPS (No screen) a blue tooth head set, mp3 player and FM Radio all in one they are sold from around £80 without the helmet kit to around £140 in blister pack with the helmet speakers and boom Mic.

I have to admit that at first I was a bit sceptical about this product the idea of a GPS without a screen seemed like a backwards step IMO but I was wrong its actually a very good product for the money.

When you consider what you pay for products like the tomtom rider (£249.99)
it becomes exceptional value for money and comparatively convenient (no fitting needed) there is is also not worry of some toe rag having it away whilst your paying for your fuel or grabbing a bag of chip because it sits in your pocket not on your pride and joy.

Pro's

1. its small very small for what it does 7cm x 4cm x 1cm approx

2. its intuitive to use once you get to grips with its UI

3. The battery life is good so far I have managed to get 6 hours use of the radio and GPS combined.

4. you can add favorites and something the call Ktags like favorites with different name.

5. the device comes with desktop software which allows you to manage Ktags, add your mp3's add maps, configure routing options, manage contacts and probably more I just haven't found out yet.

6. price as I said when compared to dedicated motorcycle satnav systems its cheap really cheap.

7. cheap price doesn't seem to be reflected in the quality.

8. voice sounds like posh woman of off radio 4.

9. once you get used to the idea no screen is no problem and less distracting.

Cons.

1. no screen ?
2. no standard means of dedicated charging on bike.
3. the software does have problems with welsh street names.
4.it tends to get a bit hot under the collar when opperating best kept in an outside pocket.
5. not really for the hardcore tourer more useful if your out and about find somewhere nice and want to be able to find it again (not sure if this is a con or just a matter of oppinion)
6.trying realy hard but cant think of any other cons at the moment.

The only thing I have not been able to test is the helmet speakers and boom Mic because they haven't arrived yet so far I have tested every function using the supplied ipod type headset.

Once I have had the chance to test the helmet set up I will update this post to allow for any additional info.

To summarise

The Kapten is a pocket sized gizmo that will help to stop you getting lost if you do get lost it will allow you to call someone for help and you can listen to your fav choons or radio station as you bimble along your fav strip of the black stuff not bad.

At £140 with helmet speakers and boom Mic its good value being as it does the same job as other systems for far less money.

The lack of screen may be a problem for some but IMO you should be looking at the road ahead not a tiny screen and if you have to pull over to look at a screen whats wrong with a map?

charging on the move could be an issue depending on how far you want to go but all in all its a good buy 4 out of 5 from me great great great great .
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Kapten Rider review (and no I don't sell them for a living)  Empty Re: Kapten Rider review (and no I don't sell them for a living)

Post  Rosco Fri Feb 18 2011, 13:31

Always good to know what is available and a pro's and con's review.

I bit the bullet and spent a small fortune on the Garmin Zumo 550 (Europe Maps). A lot more expensive that the Kapten - but it does do a lot more.
That reminds me - I need to shell out on a Garmin Map upgrade (lifetime) another £74.99 as I keep travelling along new roads my satnav doesn't know about or it tells me to travel on roads that require now require a u-turn!!!

Google maps on my phone helps out, but when I really need it I find I've no signal (and no maps)

Cheers
Rosco

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Kapten Rider review (and no I don't sell them for a living)  Empty I agree

Post  Guest Fri Feb 18 2011, 13:44

I agree that the mainstream bike specific sat navs do tend to pack in more features but my point is if you want something pocket sized that will

allow you to chat without removing your lid (I would tend to pull over to make a call anyway)

And have the bonus of some directions and choons its not a bad buy.

If you where after a dedicated system for touring you have to spend the money unfortunately.

But I paid 80 squid plus 45 for the headset (when it gets here) so all in all not bad for the money.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Kapten Rider review (and no I don't sell them for a living)  Empty Re: Kapten Rider review (and no I don't sell them for a living)

Post  0ldcat Fri Feb 18 2011, 14:00

Nice write up Tygs,

Not knowing anything, well not much, about sat navs I have a couple of (probably daft) questions.

1. What batteries does it use ?
&
2. If you're away from home (base) with no PC or laptop , how do you program in a new route ?

I've seen those with screens program in routes and or way points with a stylus on the display screen either enroute or at the holiday/break destination.

I'm affraid I rely on the old MkI map and a compass method. That's 'coz I iz a bit of an old fart. That and a bit of a technophobe.

Many's the time I've been on a ride out with a rider on point who has become geographicly embarrassed Embarassed using the sat nav alone, queue a stop and out comes ye olde mappe Smile
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Feb 18 2011, 14:13

Rosco wrote: Garmin Map upgrade (lifetime) another £74.99

Not bad they extracted £99 from me year or so ago. Nearly lost it after the unit was swopped out, restored after a bit of haggling :(

Have a 'satnav' on the phone too, tried it once on a walk around Bath. Couldn't get it to work properly.

The Kapten sounds an interesting option and does work out a lot cheaper than the purpose built units especially adding in an Autocom or Starcom system.
I tend to only glance at the screen when a turn is coming up, many a time I have followed the voice instruction to turn only to find it meant the next street wall

I am learning the hard way to remember to pack a map as technology can let you down

How long have you had it?
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri Feb 18 2011, 14:48

Just to add my slightly relevant experience - when I am on the bike I use my TomTom GO 710 as a voice guidance unit. I carry it in my bumbag with earphones going into my helmet and just listen to the guidance. This means I can switch the screen off, which saves a load of battery time. It got us to the hotel in the Eifel OK (once I had actually plugged my earphones into the right socket and had determined that when she said "left", she actually meant "left", not "right"... Embarassed ).

Actually, this would make a great app for the iPhone..... hmmm.....
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Kapten Rider review (and no I don't sell them for a living)  Empty less than a week

Post  Guest Fri Feb 18 2011, 14:53

I have only had it for a week so still haven't worked out if there are any other bugs but seem to good to be true at the moment.
Appears to be exceptional value for money to be fair.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Kapten Rider review (and no I don't sell them for a living)  Empty quite easy to use

Post  Guest Fri Feb 18 2011, 15:34

0ldcat wrote:Nice write up Tygs,

Not knowing anything, well not much, about sat navs I have a couple of (probably daft) questions.

1. What batteries does it use ?
&
2. If you're away from home (base) with no PC or laptop , how do you program in a new route ?

I've seen those with screens program in routes and or way points with a stylus on the display screen either enroute or at the holiday/break destination.

I'm affraid I rely on the old MkI map and a compass method. That's 'coz I iz a bit of an old fart. That and a bit of a technophobe.

Many's the time I've been on a ride out with a rider on point who has become geographicly embarrassed Embarassed using the sat nav alone, queue a stop and out comes ye olde mappe Smile

The battery is built in that could be a problem in the future depending on how long it stays performing up to its current standard.
its charged via usb but if you have a power socket aka cig lighter socket on your bike there are usb charging adaptors out there for a few quid so it could be charged on the road.

New destinations are added by voice in other words you tell it where you want to go. It then confirms what its been told and asks is this correct, you say yes and off you go.

I would always carry a map as a back up anyway there is nothing daft about that by the way its a good practice imo.

I know I have already said I dont sell these but maybe I should there seems to be a lot of geographicly challenged people out the and I include my self in that :lol3:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Tue Mar 01 2011, 23:21

Tygs, after reading your review I've jumped on ebay and picked the main unit up for £50.

Just getting used to it, and loading up the songs for the MP3 player, but it worked well on the way home tonight. The warnings seemed a little later than my TomTom but managable. I havent checked yet but is the map the full NW Europe as the Kapsys site says I've got the map of France but its found my house in Hull. stars

I've ordered the audio cable as this will allow me to connect the unit to my comms box. So I get a sat nav and music on my ride outs now.

Plus Ellies sun dance seems to have worked, well for this week anyway. pinkelly

I'll post up any issues I find with it as well.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Kapten Rider review (and no I don't sell them for a living)  Empty Glad to hear it

Post  Guest Wed Mar 02 2011, 00:25

Glad to hear you like it I would hate to think someone would buy something on the strength of my review and be unsatisfied.

I did find it was slow to give the prompts at first but then I discovered I was in pedestrian mode seems ok in motorcycle mode.

Although I do think after a few weeks of using it they could improve it by not having it name the streets for every instruction.

For example it could say start at margam rd and then just give turn left turn right type instructions until you arrive at your destination.

But all in all I am very happy with the Kapten for the money I think you would be hard pressed to do better.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Wed Mar 02 2011, 10:06

To be fair, according to their website it is intended for those who are sight-impaired, hence the constant commentary.

I'm still looking for a cost-effective nav solution for my bike, this is in mind!
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Kapten Rider review (and no I don't sell them for a living)  Empty Are you sure

Post  Guest Wed Mar 02 2011, 10:29

weasley wrote:To be fair, according to their website it is intended for those who are sight-impaired, hence the constant commentary.

I'm still looking for a cost-effective nav solution for my bike, this is in mind!

A sight impaired motorcycle rider now there's a scary thought.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Wed Mar 02 2011, 19:29

Well some do say I'm slightly impaired. loony

Not physically tho', unless Friday nights are counted? :drunken:
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Wed Mar 02 2011, 19:33

Tried it today on the bike. The earphones didn't work down the A63 but hopefully when I get the bud ones in it will be fine.

Music quality is comatible wit the ipod so currently I'm happy. Not messed with the bluetooth yet but i will get around to it.

A small and well worth the the pennies piece of kit you can take anywhere.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down