Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speedo & Odometer

5 posters

Go down

Speedo & Odometer Empty Speedo & Odometer

Post  bm1957 Tue Nov 02 2010, 17:54

Both given up!

Rev counter still works; I'm guessing it's a snapped wire or something???

Any help appreciated Very Happy
bm1957
bm1957
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Speedo & Odometer Empty Re: Speedo & Odometer

Post  Rosco Tue Nov 02 2010, 18:38

The speedo cable is the very likely broken. If it's not broken then problem is next likely to be the mechanism in the clocks I guess.

Speedo cable runs from the front wheel axle area (left hand side if you are sitting on the bike)
and connects into the back of the clocks.

It is relatively easy to do. Just make sure you route the cable the same way and run some engine oil or suitable lube down cable. No harm in packing ends with a little grease too.

Cheers
Rosco

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Nov 02 2010, 18:40

My speedo is bouncing about all over the place (or it was on the way back from the trackday)
I think I hit 160 at one point (well the speedo said that)
I guess I'll be changing mine soon too.

I've had to change it at least once before on the cat.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  bm1957 Tue Nov 02 2010, 19:49

Rosco wrote:My speedo is bouncing about all over the place (or it was on the way back from the trackday)
I think I hit 160 at one point (well the speedo said that)
I guess I'll be changing mine soon too.

I've had to change it at least once before on the cat.
I had the same thing on my cb-1
Apparently I could hit 120 on my 400cc!!! lol

Cheers Rosco
bm1957
bm1957
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Tue Nov 02 2010, 21:22

When it 'went' on mine it was because the speedo cable had come undone at the wheel end and the central drive cable had simply fallen out. I bought a replacement, fed it back inside the still-in-place outer sheath and did it up - 5 minute job and all fixed. I know more than one of us has had this happen, so I religiously check the speedo cable nut for tightness now.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  bm1957 Wed Nov 03 2010, 08:32

weasley wrote:When it 'went' on mine it was because the speedo cable had come undone at the wheel end and the central drive cable had simply fallen out. I bought a replacement, fed it back inside the still-in-place outer sheath and did it up - 5 minute job and all fixed. I know more than one of us has had this happen, so I religiously check the speedo cable nut for tightness now.
That's exactly what happened!

I tried doing it up but that didn't work (I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to maintenance!).

Next job will be buying a replacement central drive cable. Is ebay a good place to start?
bm1957
bm1957
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Nov 03 2010, 08:58

bm1957 wrote:Next job will be buying a replacement central drive cable. Is ebay a good place to start?

Yes, that's where I have bought mine. Glad you found the problem, the other part that tends to go is the drive gear in the front wheel.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 03 2010, 15:55

Speaking of speedos ,is there any reason -for example - if I wanted to fit the whole speedo from a FJR to a Cat ? When I say the speedo I mean the whole unit from the FJR like the speedo, tach etc - another words the whole instrument cluster .
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Nov 03 2010, 16:08

umm not sure ... getting it fitted might be a problem, has the FJR got a cable speedo - same ratio? rev counter pickup the same?
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 03 2010, 19:26

SteveCat wrote:umm not sure ... getting it fitted might be a problem, has the FJR got a cable speedo - same ratio? rev counter pickup the same?
I think the easiest part is getting it fitted , but all the other points you've mention are the key questions , to which I don't know because I haven't really looked into it .I was just curious as the Cat's instrument cluster alway bugs me as it's really basic. wall
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  bm1957 Wed Nov 10 2010, 17:59

SteveCat wrote:
bm1957 wrote:Next job will be buying a replacement central drive cable. Is ebay a good place to start?

Yes, that's where I have bought mine. Glad you found the problem, the other part that tends to go is the drive gear in the front wheel.

Perfect! Got that sorted, was pretty easy to put together.

Then it started making a ticking noise from behind the clocks, it sounded like when the water pump went in my car, but I put it down to the new speedo cable. My plan was to take it out, re-grease and put back in at the weekend.

Then when I turned it on again to put back in the garage this evening, all of a sudden it just died! No lights no power, no nothing!

So I have a booster and a voltmeter so my first job will be to check the battery and see if I can start the bike and keep it running on the booster. Not sure where I'm going after that...

Any bright ideas about what might have happened???

Ta
bm1957
bm1957
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  shackalu Sat Feb 12 2011, 19:26

Have you checked the battery? Is it Ok? Maybe the main fuse is dead...this could be a reason for not having any power on the bike...

Cheers!
shackalu
shackalu

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Back to top Go down